That opens the door to some huge meaning-of-life questions of the value of premierships over sustained excellence. Shane Biggs’ crazily fanatical moments in the GF made him a premiership player, is this better than the long illustrious careers of Grant, Johnson, West & co. I always used to say there were many other reasons to cherish a footy team including watching careers unfold, sharing the players’ journeys and the “just being there” element. The deeds of 2016 make me wonder about that.

And has any premiership team extracted so much from so many scrappers, rejects and rookies? It was the alchemy and self belief that set this group apart. How strange that we waited so long for messiahs and yet it was a bunch of so many unlikely heroes and far from blue chip talent finAlly delivering for us. How strange that two blokes overlooked in drafts, who didn’t debut until their 20s kicked three goals each in a grand final, and that the pivotal moment, that tackle on Franklin, was delivered by another guy who didn’t get a chance and was overlooked countless times.

I look at our current group and wonder sometimes which of them has...or will have...that fire to deliver when it Matters most, that even our greatest champs did not.