Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  35
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moment: Elimination Final, 2020 vs St Kilda

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    The comment I responded to said English will leave if the current ruck situation is changed.

But it doesn’t matter, everyone is happy with how the ruck has been going for the last few years. We have seen a lot of creative ideas there. Gives the supporters something to talk about.
    I don't think you are on your Robinson Crusoe with our ruck position, we should be finding someone else. I just think some of us believe it's not a priority for Bevo and it's unlikely to change. He was quick to quote some figures last night to support his position.
    Lets just say he's invested in this approach and accept that we need to find something creative to support English

By the way, I do enjoy debating it with our forum members
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Considering the opposition, the moment may have been last years trade period. Imagine the difference Ryder, Butler and Howard would have made for us considering our needs. Keath was a great get for us but you have to wonder, given our needs, how we missed these guys.

Oh and to add, if Bruce was still a saint we might’ve won.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Yes, but I think that is the way it's going to play out. He's very invested in this approach and I think it's how it will play out
    Now unless something special happens and we just find someone that commands a senior spot his comments last night indicate it's Bruce and Co supporting Tim not bringing in a player to challenge or replace him
    I agree thats just how it is but i just don't accept it. I know Bevo will stick to his guns on this & many of us here will be debating this for a long time to come. Can you teach intensity & physicality?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    I agree thats just how it is but i just don't accept it. I know Bevo will stick to his guns on this & many of us here will be debating this for a long time to come. Can you teach intensity & physicality?
    I think you can certainly improve it but making sure the players know there will be consequences if the agreed standards slip

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but I think that is the way it's going to play out. He's very invested in this approach and I think it's how it will play out
    Now unless something special happens and we just find someone that commands a senior spot his comments last night indicate it's Bruce and Co supporting Tim not bringing in a player to challenge or replace him
    I have not seen Bruce giving any support in the ruck. That’s a clear misuse of the word ‘support ‘.

Just like all the others, it has taken away from his reason for existing.

I realise there’s a new football paradigm for the Dogs and we have become desensitised by the failures, but the football teams that establish a successful dynasty use ruckmen to hit the ball directly to a midfielder and a forward to kick goals. Bruce has done neither.

He has obviously been told that he is selected to crash the packs, which he is the only thing he is doing, Look at Noughton’s mark late in the game. Who did he outmark? Yes, Bruce. It’s part of the reason Naughton had 2 touches to three quarter time.

And a significant part of why we lost.

Post Thanks / Like

The moment for me was Bevo's presser. He said round one next year "there will probably be 6 changes to the team" that played against St.Kilda. Big statement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    The moment for me was Bevo's presser. He said round one next year "there will probably be 6 changes to the team" that played against St.Kilda. Big statement.
    I don't think it is. There was probably 5 changes to the team from the 2019 EF team to the team in Round 1 2020.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that sounds more provocative than it is. 6 might be slight hyperbole, but with another preseason you would expect:

-Weightman, West, Garcia, L Young x2 would be pushing for spots.

-Add in the injured LDM and McLean (and maybe Schache)

-JUH and Raak/other draftees may get a debut

-Potentially a player or two traded in

The hard part is to take 6 out (and obviously depends on the draft/trades).

9. Likes GVGjr, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is interesting, especially given that among the players who didn’t play yesterday we have Dickson (retired), Suckling (injured a lot, ageing, and not brilliant when he did appear), Trengove, Schache and Young who were consistently overlooked by the match committee, and players like Hayes, La Young and Porter whose abilities are limited and haven’t really shown much. Much though we love the Lin Jong story, he must be on thin ice. Toby McLean won’t play next season. So what does this talk of six less actually mean?
    Last edited by The bulldog tragician; 04-10-2020 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Forgot about Jong
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I think that sounds more provocative than it is. 6 might be slight hyperbole, but with another preseason you would expect:

-Weightman, West, Garcia, L Young x2 would be pushing for spots.

-Add in the injured LDM and McLean (and maybe Schache)

-JUH and Raak/other draftees may get a debut

-Potentially a player or two traded in

The hard part is to take 6 out (and obviously depends on the draft/trades).
    I think you have nailed it TAC

We will revamp the forward line and Garcia, Weightman and West will fight it our for 2 forward spots. Vandermeer is an almost automatic inclusion
    There will likely be a trade for someone like O'Halloran and one other and who knows if Ugle-Hagan will be ready for round one

6 sounds like a significant change but when you go through some of the scenario's it may not be

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have nailed it TAC

We will revamp the forward line and Garcia, Weightman and West will fight it our for 2 forward spots. Vandermeer is an almost automatic inclusion
    There will likely be a trade for someone like O'Halloran and one other and who knows if Ugle-Hagan will be ready for round one

6 sounds like a significant change but when you go through some of the scenario's it may not be
    According to inside the club, we are also looking at another Key defender.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes DOG GOD, Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The moment was probably several moments where English got brushed aside at boundary throw ins and St Kilda got easy clearances. I actually think English does ok enough in the middle, it is the boundary throw ins where decent rucks just man handle him, and he is ALWAYS behind at the throw ins, so if they drop short he is no chance.

It was absolutely the difference in the game. Bailey Smith's missed chance probably the most costly of the misses for me, that gets us within a point and in the game. Wally's miss, well - we kicked one within about 90 seconds, so might not be a huge difference, and he at least kicked one from the boundary earlier. Hunter's miss we were looking gone, and he at least kicked the next/harder chance. I know we want to kick ALL of them, but the saints missed a couple of sitters too.

Most nauseating moment would be Bruce grabbing his jumper after kicking the first goal.....when he absolutely shouldn't have played on and its a minor miracle it floated through.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    its a minor miracle it floated through.
    Really???, you need to watch that again

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    The moment was probably several moments where English got brushed aside at boundary throw ins and St Kilda got easy clearances. I actually think English does ok enough in the middle, it is the boundary throw ins where decent rucks just man handle him, and he is ALWAYS behind at the throw ins, so if they drop short he is no chance.
    It was clearly part of St Kilda's plan to move the ball along the boundary and be satisfied in the knowledge that in a boundary throw-in situation English would be particularly exposed.

I'm still a bit salty, like Bevo, that the AFL sought to undo a couple of the big strengths of our 2016 side. Was anyone actually concerned at the time about the prevalence of third man up in the ruck? Every time I see a free kick given as a result of no nominated ruck I put my head in my hands and lose a bit of faith in the game. Such a nuisance.

Soon enough we'll be nominating for marking contests
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    It was clearly part of St Kilda's plan to move the ball along the boundary and be satisfied in the knowledge that in a boundary throw-in situation English would be particularly exposed.

I'm still a bit salty, like Bevo, that the AFL sought to undo a couple of the big strengths of our 2016 side. Was anyone actually concerned at the time about the prevalence of third man up in the ruck? Every time I see a free kick given as a result of no nominated ruck I put my head in my hands and lose a bit of faith in the game. Such a nuisance.

Soon enough we'll be nominating for marking contests
    That gifted goal for ruck nomination in the second quarter was an absolute joke - in a 3 point game, it is significant.

I really hate the administrators of the AFL.

18. Likes Scorlibo liked this post