Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  35
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moment: Elimination Final, 2020 vs St Kilda

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    It was clearly part of St Kilda's plan to move the ball along the boundary and be satisfied in the knowledge that in a boundary throw-in situation English would be particularly exposed.

I'm still a bit salty, like Bevo, that the AFL sought to undo a couple of the big strengths of our 2016 side. Was anyone actually concerned at the time about the prevalence of third man up in the ruck? Every time I see a free kick given as a result of no nominated ruck I put my head in my hands and lose a bit of faith in the game. Such a nuisance.

Soon enough we'll be nominating for marking contests
    The nomination makes sense because you can't have a situation where a ruckman is blocked from going for the ruck contest.

You're right though. What is stupid is the getting rid of 3rd man up. Clears congestion. Quickens the game up with less stoppages and the ball tapped into free play. I don't ever remember a concern about it. What rationale was there to get rid of it? I was on too much of a high post premiership to take notice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That gifted goal for ruck nomination in the second quarter was an absolute joke - in a 3 point game, it is significant.

I really hate the administrators of the AFL.
    Not only that, but that advantage call was horrendous. Every player had stopped after the whistle. They probably kick a goal regardless but still.

Post Thanks / Like

That gifted goal for ruck nomination in the second quarter was an absolute joke - in a 3 point game, it is significant.

I really hate the administrators of the AFL.
    Hmmm reminds me of another gifted goal to the captain of the German diving team in a prelim against this mob not so long ago.

4. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we cannot adjust to a rule change after 3 years of it being implemented, then we are in more trouble than we thought. To bring that up in the presser on Saturday wasn't Bevo's finest hour.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

6. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    If we cannot adjust to a rule change after 3 years of it being implemented, then we are in more trouble than we thought. To bring that up in the presser on Saturday wasn't Bevo's finest hour.
    I am glad he brought it up, because it was another stupid call from the AFL who continue to meddle with one of the best games in the world. Someone has to stick it to them.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad he brought it up, because it was another stupid call from the AFL who continue to meddle with one of the best games in the world. Someone has to stick it to them.
    I'm not. It is a crap rule but every team has had 4 seasons now to adjust to it. Complete and utter waste of time bringing up yet again in the presser on the weekend.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not. It is a crap rule but every team has had 4 seasons now to adjust to it. Complete and utter waste of time bringing up yet again in the presser on the weekend.
    It wasn't a great reflection on Bevo. And it was compounded by what has been spoken about on here this season regarding not having seen changes in our approach to a variety of things since that rule was implemented.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't see the press conference but no doubt he was answering a question. When a ridiculous thing like nominating who goes up in the ruck is one of the things that effects the result, of course you comment on it.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    It wasn't a great reflection on Bevo. And it was compounded by what has been spoken about on here this season regarding not having seen changes in our approach to a variety of things since that rule was implemented.
    Why can't he comment on something that effected the game?

Post Thanks / Like

BAD, you cut Bevo far too much slack.

Is it a crap rule? Absolutely, but why is he still banging on about it 4 years later when EVERY other club has moved on? You might say he should call it out (which he did at the time of them changing it), but when it's 4 seasons later and you haven't adjusted to the rule but continue to complain, it reflects the image of a stubborn individual who refuses to change with the times.

13. Likes G-Mo77, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't see the press conference but no doubt he was answering a question. When a ridiculous thing like nominating who goes up in the ruck is one of the things that effects the result, of course you comment on it.
    You should watch it so you understand the context. It was complete sour grapes and woe is me

He was asked are we going to look at our ruck strategy and he basically said

*he doesn't want to bring in a number one ruck and inferred that our current number one ruck will look to leave
    *we will continue doing what we are doing
    *If the AFL wants to bring back the third man up rule that will help.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    BAD, you cut Bevo far too much slack.

Is it a crap rule? Absolutely, but why is he still banging on about it 4 years later when EVERY other club has moved on? You might say he should call it out (which he did at the time of them changing it), but when it's 4 seasons later and you haven't adjusted to the rule but continue to complain, it reflects the image of a stubborn individual who refuses to change with the times.
    My god you guys just want to jump on his back - that is how it feels anyway. Did you actually listen to the press conference.

Bevo was asked a question about the ruck and with a smirk he said a one liner "could always bring back 3rd man up". It was a nothing comment and a light hearted joke.

My posts above have nothing to do with 3rd man up, I was talking about the crap decision to nominate for the ruck where Keath and Bont had a mis communication and gifted them a goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    You should watch it so you understand the context. It was complete sour grapes and woe is me

He was asked are we going to look at our ruck strategy and he basically said

*he doesn't want to bring in a number one ruck and inferred that our current number one ruck will look to leave
    *we will continue doing what we are doing
    *If the AFL wants to bring back the third man up rule that will help.
    Yeah a nothing comment, why make a big deal of it?

PS: BS on sour grapes.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the moment where JJ was incapable of marking the centred ball to get us away, or at least keep it in front of him and moving just prior to quarter time was a big moment.

A fully switched on or committed to the contest player wouldn't have done that and it kind of reflected our attention to detail.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

18. Thanks Danjul thanked for this post
    Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He was answering a question, about how we can provide better support for English.

Quipping "bring back third man up" concedes our first choice ruck needs the help of another teammate to contest ruck taps ... with strong 'sending your young, string bean ruckman into the meat grinder to own league HQ' vibes.
    BORDERLINE FLYING