Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs v Carlton practice match

Interesting.

Jake was running 2.9's over 20m at 16/17. He would be amongst the quickest in the competition over that distance now I would wager. His agility was never 'elite' though.

What this means is that for his size, he is best suited to one of two positions: FF or FB - where his straight line acceleration will be of most benefit. I have been surprised that Carlton have not tried him down back to this point in time. I share Butch's concern that Jake will not be truly successful unless he is able to play in the key spot - I am just not sure he has the physical capabilities to be successful elsewhere (I dont see him getting many opportunist type goals that a secondary target needs to pick up every week).

Anyway, I obviously taught him all the good stuff - the rest is either genetic or learnt from that stupid dual premiership coach Denis Pagan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I thought Tillers speed was his strength not his muscle
    It's all relative.

Edwards was definately quicker, but as Mike has just pointed out, Edwards' speed is elite for his size.

Tiller looked much bigger in the upper body than Edwards, but that doesn't mean Tiller is big, just bigger than Edwards. Tiller was also a bit smarter in his positioning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Interesting.

Jake was running 2.9's over 20m at 16/17. He would be amongst the quickest in the competition over that distance now I would wager. His agility was never 'elite' though.

What this means is that for his size, he is best suited to one of two positions: FF or FB - where his straight line acceleration will be of most benefit. I have been surprised that Carlton have not tried him down back to this point in time. I share Butch's concern that Jake will not be truly successful unless he is able to play in the key spot - I am just not sure he has the physical capabilities to be successful elsewhere (I dont see him getting many opportunist type goals that a secondary target needs to pick up every week).

Anyway, I obviously taught him all the good stuff - the rest is either genetic or learnt from that stupid dual premiership coach Denis Pagan.

Has anyone mentioned his grandad played in the '54 premiership?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Has anyone mentioned his grandad played in the '54 premiership?
    And his great-grandad was 'Dolly Aked', ex-player and club legend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I thought Tillers speed was his strength not his muscle
    Not from what I've seen. He has a poor turning circle and isn't blessed with pace.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    Not from what I've seen. He has a poor turning circle and isn't blessed with pace.

First time I saw him in match training in his first preseason he was on Grant. Constantly led Grant to the ball and at one stage turned him inside out and kicked a goal while Grant was sprawled on the ground watching him run away. I've seen Grant do it to about a 1000 other players but Tiller's one of the few I've seen do it to Grant.

Thing is when I saw him earlier this year he looked much bigger in the legs, shoulders/ arms and chest. So maybe he's lost a bit of pace and agility. I dont mind that so much because we need a forward who can wrestle and we've got three or four other blokes around the 183-189 mark with plenty of toe and agilty, Welsh, Murphy, Johnno, Hargrave etc. A big bloke staying in the square and actually take an overhead mark an actually kick straight would be worth his weight in cockie poop for us.

Strange thing is he's spent more time playing in the backline than the forward line in pre-season match practice.

Post Thanks / Like

He has done a knee since arriving at the club hasn't he?

Post Thanks / Like

. He has a poor turning circle.
    Couldn't agree more.

Against Essendon he was appalling. I actually said on the night that he had a bigger turning circle than the Queen Mary.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

He has done a knee since arriving at the club hasn't he?
    I don't think so. Was it an ankle and then a foot injury?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

This was based on the comments made by Eade and his selection pannel on channel 7 last year. They talked about his pace off the mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't think so. Was it an ankle and then a foot injury?

Yep. He has a long term ankle problem and then a broken bone in his foot. It probably hasnt helped his pace or turning circle if the truth is to be told.

Post Thanks / Like

Jakes cousin is shane obree at collingwood , so the edwards clan are quite big , just let you all know a couple of years back jake was playing dowling shield and was giving up cricket because he had a bad back, well thats what butch mentioned from memory, i asked butch(his dad,who we all know) which club he would like him to play for and he mentioned Collingwood as they treated him well when he was playing.
    Jakes older brother Tuddy also had injury problems, pity as they are all great footballers, all come from Melton, think Tuddy is still there, and Butch is still the same old good bloke.Well not so much the old, tip is dont get in a shout with him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Jakes cousin is shane obree at collingwood , so the edwards clan are quite big , just let you all know a couple of years back jake was playing dowling shield and was giving up cricket because he had a bad back, well thats what butch mentioned from memory, i asked butch(his dad,who we all know) which club he would like him to play for and he mentioned Collingwood as they treated him well when he was playing.
    Jakes older brother Tuddy also had injury problems, pity as they are all great footballers, all come from Melton, think Tuddy is still there, and Butch is still the same old good bloke.Well not so much the old, tip is dont get in a shout with him.
    When Butch returned to Melton after leaving the Dogs, he agreed to play for beer tickets. Half way through his first season they asked if they could put him on match payments because the beer ticket deal was costing the club too much!

Post Thanks / Like

Young Edwards looks a super talent - good hands athletic, didn't get a feel for his agility in the practice match but he is certainly a great prospect

Tiller however has had an impressive pre-season for my money, still needs to get a bit cleaner and stronger, but has made massive improvements, and physically doesn't look far off it.