Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers and Anchors - Elimination Final, 2020 vs St Kilda

This is the round Elimination Final 2020 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against St Kilda is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors - Elimination Final, 2020 vs St Kilda

Bump
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1) English - look he got beaten. But he kept trying/putting in and competing. Didn't drop his head and will be bigger and stronger next year;

2) Bailey Smith - his run and carry was great all day. yes he missed a sitter and yes it proved costly, but he is a gun midfielder and looked at home in a final today;

3) Daniel - beaten by Geary earlier, but kept backing himself and backing himself and backing himself. Won his position on the day.

Anchorrs

1) The Coaching Tactics - the Saints game plan is obvious and just played into it for 3 quarters;

2) Lippa - pretty average out there today and he would be disappointed. Sold Bont into trouble and just chose the wrong option;

3) Communication - wasn't on today. Too often the Saints were allowed to go up uncontested or 3 doggies would go for the ball and not shpherd and help out. We weren't on today.

Post Thanks / Like

B:
    Effort.

A:
    Coaching/strategy/mentality.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    B:
    Effort.

A:
    Coaching/strategy/mentality.
    Nothing to do with coaching
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    1 Crozier
    2 R Smith
    3 B Williams

Anchors

1 Ruck - We need one!
    2 Mids - need ones that hit targets going forward and can kick goals
    3 Need some more talls...too many same types in the team

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Bont - he gave his all out there
    2. Taylor Duryea's courage - one effort in the last where he flew for the ball and got smashed, but prevented a Saints mark, just exemplified how fearless he was. He met the standard.
    3. My 7 yr old son Josh.... he was reduced to tears when we looked gone at 26 points down early in the 4th...and in the face of some really unclassy Saints family in front of us...he just kept cheering, and singing Dog's chants, through tears....and just kept it up with each goal we kicked. He earned a lot of praise after the game from quite a few Doggies fans and a very classy who came up to him and magnanimous Saints fans sitting behind us.
    One of the positives of 2020 is for him to be able to see 4 Dogs games..and based on what I saw tonight... the Dogs are now in his blood.

Anchors
    1. Lipinski. a witches hat defensively, and a rabbit in headlights when he had to make a decision.
    2. Macrae- I love him and he's a top flight player who often leads the way, but unfortunately his limitations stood out tonight.
    3. The middle aged Saints fan and his teenage sons in front of us.. They were rude, disrespectful, and took every opportunity to try and rub their good fortune in and disparage any cheering from Dogs supporters. They nearly crapped their collective pants in the last 10 minutes and were silent. Then as soon as the siren went, all of them stood up and started laughing at Dogs supporters and unleashing a bunch of verbal taunts.. I was livid.. and wanted to explode... but thought I'd set an example for my kids... I smiled at these cretins and said to them "thank you so much"... and then I turned to my two kids who were puzzled at my thanking these clowns and said 'I'm thankful because you saw that kids... you have in front of you a perfect example of what never to do when your team wins.. That's a lack of class, but the Saints family behind us that's how you do it! You celebrate your team winning and also be gracious and a good sport."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Bankers

2. Taylor Duryea's courage - one effort in the last where he flew for the ball and got smashed, but prevented a Saints mark, just exemplified how fearless he was. He met the standard.
    3. My 7 yr old son Josh.... he was reduced to tears when we looked gone at 26 points down early in the 4th...and in the face of some really unclassy Saints family in front of us...he just kept cheering, and singing Dog's chants, through tears....and just kept it up with each goal we kicked. He earned a lot of praise after the game from quite a few Doggies fans and a very classy who came up to him and magnanimous Saints fans sitting behind us.
    One of the positives of 2020 is for him to be able to see 4 Dogs games..and based on what I saw tonight... the Dogs are now in his blood.

Anchors
    1. Lipinski. a witches hat defensively, and a rabbit in headlights when he had to make a decision.
    2. Macrae- I love him and he's a top flight player who often leads the way, but unfortunately his limitations stood out tonight.
    3. The middle aged Saints fan and his teenage sons in front of us.. They were rude, disrespectful, and took every opportunity to try and rub their good fortune in and disparage any cheering from Dogs supporters. They nearly crapped their collective pants in the last 10 minutes and were silent. Then as soon as the siren went, all of them stood up and started laughing at Dogs supporters and unleashing a bunch of verbal taunts.. I was livid.. and wanted to explode... but thought I'd set an example for my kids... I smiled at these cretins and said to them "thank you so much"... and then I turned to my two kids who were puzzled at my thanking these clowns and said 'I'm thankful because you saw that kids... you have in front of you a perfect example of what never to do when your team wins.. That's a lack of class, but the Saints family behind us that's how you do it! You celebrate your team winning and also be gracious and a good sport."
    Classy YHF.... what a great Dad you are. And role model for all RWB supporters.
    Josie :)

Our day will come
    And we'll have everything.
    We'll share the joy
    Just like '54 again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Nothing to do with coaching
    St Kilda were in the box seat and looked like they'd get up all night. Bevo had his pants pulled down. Ratten has him covered.

11. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Bankers

Anchors
    Good stuff YHF.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers.
    Bailey Williams
    Bailey Smith
    Caleb Daniel

Anchors
    Not taking our chances numerous times.
    Poor tackling
    Poor delivery inside 50
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Caleb Daniel. Build a statue of him, sell
    Key rings, I want to bottle him and pour it over my pancakes. He is just absolutely supreme with ball in hand

The last 9 minutes of the game. Saints terrified, us with all the momentum taking or chances. Was nice of the dogs to give me one last heart attack before the season finished

This forum. God I miss going to footy and the release it provides and it is hard keeping composed with 2 kids under 6 sitting next to you on the couch. Having outlets like this have been particularly important this season (and yesterday)

Anchors

Tackling. For god sake it was pathetic. Saints got hands free most of the time when we stuck them or we just glanced off them

Speed - we looked so slow across the ground and particularly in our forward line

Marking - out marked at both ends of the ground all day long

Our Finals football (one more) - we learnt nothing from last year, clearly all the talk of coming out hard from Bont during the week was hot air. We lacked intensity and accountability across the ground and did nothing. When Ben Long collected Macrae we should have put him down, made a mark and dug in. We played footy appropriate for round 9, not finals and it just isn’t good enough.
    Last edited by AshMac; 04-10-2020 at 09:47 AM.

15. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Marking - out marked at both ends of the ground all day long
    This was one of the reasons we lost, and Bevo mentioned it after the game. Saints took 21 contested marks, the most in any game this year.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This was one of the reasons we lost, and Bevo mentioned it after the game. Saints took 21 contested marks, the most in any game this year.
    Their season average was 9.

Obviously we did something wrong if they had a 150% improvement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Their season average was 9.

Obviously we did something wrong if they had a 150% improvement.
    yeah we couldn't mark the ball.