Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors - Elimination Final, 2020 vs St Kilda

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    yeah we couldn't mark the ball.
    Actually we didn’t have players matched up to contest. I can remember seeing three of our mediums outmarked in a pack by one of their talls. It was noticeable that the Saints were disciplined and didn’t spoil each other. They had more confidence in each other’s aerial ability.

Post Thanks / Like

This was one of the reasons we lost, and Bevo mentioned it after the game. Saints took 21 contested marks, the most in any game this year.
    Contested and uncontested marks - we made coffield look like a top 10 pick. I think tackling was a bigger problem that their marking.
    The dam wall has busted!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Contested and uncontested marks - we made coffield look like a top 10 pick. I think tackling was a bigger problem that their marking.
    Don't agree. We had 41 tackles to their 32. Yes we missed a few tackles, but that didn't influence the game as much as the contested marking.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Coffield has been very good this year. Took him a while to get going, but this year is a huge improvement over what he's produced previously.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Yep and we’re talking about contested marks, broken tackles and lack of defensive transition. All signs of a lack of physicality and intensity required in finals football. It’s why we’ve consistently fallen short against the top sides.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Coffield has been very good this year. Took him a while to get going, but this year is a huge improvement over what he's produced previously.
    Coffield and Clark from the same draft have been superb this year. However we made it all too easy for Coffield.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

Bailey Williams - had a very good year, and capped it off by performing strongly in the final.
    Roarke Smith - did an excellent job on the very dangerous Brad Hill, and didn't waste the footy. A big tick for his finish to the year.
    Daniel - although he was left in the match up with Geary too long, thats the coaches fault, but if we were going to win the game, it was going to be him or Bont that did it.

Anchors:

Bailey Smith - "A" for effort and got heaps of footy - but would it kill him to kick it to us? I'm fairly sure he was going 0% by foot up until 3 quarter time, so we may have been better off if the ball was in the hands of our other mids more. I know this is a really harsh wrap, but my expectations of Smith are very high because of how much I rate him, and he has had a hell of a lot of games this season where everyone has lauded him for getting 25 possessions, but in reality only half of them are getting to a team mate.

Wood - lost touch with Membrey early, and found himself caught in between peeling off to spoil as third man, and being ack shoulder on Membrey.

Non-contributors.... Richards had his standard 7 possession game, English didn't compete, Bruce competed but can't get a kick, Wallis limited opportunities but missed one he'd usually kick, Naughton very little impact.

Got out-coached.

Post Thanks / Like

Richards is a concern long term.

I mean, how long can you persist with a guy who sometimes *looks* dangerous but ultimately only finds the ball 7 times a game and misses targets?

9. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post

Non-contributors.... Richards had his standard 7 possession game, Bruce competed but can't get a kick,
    I agree they should be anchors but on their exposed form this year both these guys performances were indicative of exactly what they have done all season and never once been dropped/had their role changed/been sat on the bench and talked to like a school child Will Hayes style/been told to put the jacket on at halftime cause we are better without them Josh Schache style, so what did we expect them to do?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Richards is a concern long term.

I mean, how long can you persist with a guy who sometimes *looks* dangerous but ultimately only finds the ball 7 times a game and misses targets?
    A whole season evidently.
    Last edited by soupman; 05-10-2020 at 12:26 PM.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I agree they should be anchors but on their exposed form this year both these guys performances were indicative of exactly what they have done all season and never once been dropped/had their role changed/been sat on the bench and talked to like a school child Will Hayes style for/been told to put the jacket on at halftime cause we are better without them Josh Schache style, so what did we expect them to do?

A whole season evidently.
    This is exactly why I can't warm to Bevo as much as I'd like to since 2016.

He has different rules for different players - Richards and Bruce at the top of this list.

12. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    This is exactly why I can't warm to Bevo as much as I'd like to since 2016.

He has different rules for different players - Richards and Bruce at the top of this list.
    And of the flip side Trengove and Lewis Young are equally at the top of the list
    More of an In Bruges guy?

14. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Wallis goal from the boundary line.

2. Caleb Daniel in last quarter, 10 disposals and a goal almost got us over the line.

3. Keath - Kept King to ONE disposal after halftime

Anchors

1. AFL stupid rules that allowed an easy goal to Saints when confusion with ruck nomination - unnecessary rule that also creates congestion waiting for rucks to arrive.

2. Richards and Lippinski for non contribution

3. Bruce for a piss poor season.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Likes 1eyedog, Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't agree. We had 41 tackles to their 32. Yes we missed a few tackles, but that didn't influence the game as much as the contested marking.
    Honestly - I don’t think that stat means much. Lots of tackles at the coal face essentially killing an already dead ball.

Very very few tackles stopping a fast turnover or transition. The higher tackle count can also mean they just had the ball more rather than a sign of intensity. We looked so slow and ineffective when at kilda got their run.

Post Thanks / Like

The use of Richards was puzzling this season. He seemed confined to a forward pocket where he was presumably meant to be a pressure player. He didn't kick many goals and it's a role where it is hard to stay involved. In the meantime we lost the advantage of his pace.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Bankers:

Bailey Williams - had a very good year, and capped it off by performing strongly in the final.
    Roarke Smith - did an excellent job on the very dangerous Brad Hill, and didn't waste the footy. A big tick for his finish to the year.
    Daniel - although he was left in the match up with Geary too long, thats the coaches fault, but if we were going to win the game, it was going to be him or Bont that did it.

Anchors:

Bailey Smith - "A" for effort and got heaps of footy - but would it kill him to kick it to us? I'm fairly sure he was going 0% by foot up until 3 quarter time, so we may have been better off if the ball was in the hands of our other mids more. I know this is a really harsh wrap, but my expectations of Smith are very high because of how much I rate him, and he has had a hell of a lot of games this season where everyone has lauded him for getting 25 possessions, but in reality only half of them are getting to a team mate.

Wood - lost touch with Membrey early, and found himself caught in between peeling off to spoil as third man, and being ack shoulder on Membrey.

Non-contributors.... Richards had his standard 7 possession game, English didn't compete, Bruce competed but can't get a kick, Wallis limited opportunities but missed one he'd usually kick, Naughton very little impact.

Got out-coached.
    Spot On!