Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs must land Todd Goldstein, Daniel Talia or Ben McEvoy to remain in premiership window

Western Bulldogs must land Todd Goldstein, Daniel Talia or Ben McEvoy to remain in premiership window

The Western Bulldogs’ must shore up their ruck and key defensive stocks if they are to go deeper in finals next season. And luckily for Luke Beveridge there are a few players who well and truly fit the bill, writes Jon Ralph.

The Western Bulldogs are presented with the kind of free swing in the trade period that clubs who have just played finals are almost never gifted.

In eight weeks’ time, the Dogs will draft key position forward Jamar Ugle-Hagan – the best kid in the land – which gives them some freedom to top up in an all-out assault on the premiership.

Luke Beveridge didn’t even try to hide his frustrations when he spoke about his club’s “vulnerabilities” and how they had hampered a premiership tilt after the loss to St Kilda.

The Dogs gave up the equal-most contested marks this year (21) against the Saints, with Max King (four), Jake Carlisle (three), Paddy Ryder (three) and Dougal Howard (two) all recording season-highs.

Having been torched by Ryder, the Dogs need to find their own equivalent for two seasons so Tim English can complete his football apprenticeship without it destroying him.

And having secured intercept marker Alex Keath from Adelaide last year then asking him to play as a full back, the Dogs desperately need a pure lockdown defender to finish the job.

The acquisition of Ugle-Hagan, adding to top-20 draft picks like English, Bailey Smith, Aaron Naughton and Cody Weightman, means Beveridge can get a little reckless.

The only ruck option that truly makes sense is a senior veteran like Todd Goldstein, and he is a natural fit for three reasons.

He is clearly an upgrade on English as an around-the-ground ruckman, he is at a team that might consider a trade, and he would be finished as a player by the time English was ready to flourish.

As Beveridge himself said on Sunday, there is no point recruiting a ruckman of similar quality who ends up taking up salary cap space and finding himself in the VFL all year.

Braydon Preuss is on the market, but as a tap ruckman without a strong follow-up game surely he falls into that category at the Dogs.

Not for nothing, has he played only 18 games in six seasons at two clubs.

Herald Sun colleague Jay Clark reported yesterday Goldstein is happy to stay at North Melbourne despite trade chatter, but the Dogs should at least ask the question.

The only other ruckman in that model is Hawthorn’s Ben McEvoy, who is playing at centre half back and is exactly the kind of contested-marking presence the Dogs need.

Goldstein isn’t as comfortable playing forward as Ryder – which ruck-forward is across the competition – but the pair could split ruck time with English also playing as a forward as he did this year.

Adelaide’s Daniel Talia has been linked with Essendon this year, but it is the Dogs who need a full back to play on the gorillas more than the Dons.

Alex Keath had a successful first year, but playing on the big forward halved his intercept marks per game (2.7 to 1.3) and intercept possessions (8.3 to 4.2).

Talia is as advertised on the package – he takes the big dogs and does his darnedest to give them nothing as a spoil-first defender.

This year he kept Josh Kennedy and Rory Lobb goalless, although Charlie Dixon (three goals) and Naughton (four goals) got the better of him in heavy defeats.

Would Adelaide consider allowing a trade with Talia, 29, in the last week, believing he is not part of a future premiership side that will have Fischer McAsey and Tom Doedee alongside the likes of Kyle Hartigan?

The issue for the Dogs is that taking Ugle-Hagan will effectively wipe out their 2020 draft haul, so they would have to use future picks or trade current players to get it done.

The alternative is to do nothing, hoping English will miraculously become the star they want in his fifth season and hope Ryan Gardner can elevate into that reliable full back.

But Beveridge spent the year wishing and hoping until that harsh finals spotlight Denis Pagan often spoke about exposed his team as lacking.

It’s time to turn those positional holes he spent the season papering over into strengths again.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs must land Todd Goldstein, Daniel Talia or Ben McEvoy to remain in premiership window

I can't imagine the Talia family would be too keen on the Bulldogs.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs must land Todd Goldstein, Daniel Talia or Ben McEvoy to remain in premiership window

Been on the Goldstein train for weeeeeeks.

All aboard.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

4. Likes Happy Days, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I can't imagine the Talia family would be too keen on the Bulldogs.
    He said he would come over if we pay for his mobile
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes WBFC4FFC, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No to Talia. Has looked a tad slow and punches a lot - hardly marks it from footage I’ve seen this year (granted only a handful of games). We need someone who can take a strong mark. Tarrant from North better. IMO the chap from Dees better than Talia (McDonald)?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure the guy we accused of cheating, and sacked his brother in the process, would relish the opportunity to play with us.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

9. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

McEvoy though? Doesn't seem a bad fit for us on paper. That said I haven't exactly watched him closely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    McEvoy though? Doesn't seem a bad fit for us on paper. That said I haven't exactly watched him closely.
    Yes, I think he's a pretty good fit for us and I think if we were able to get two years out of him plus the possibility of a third it would suit our needs.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

The alternative is to do nothing, hoping English will miraculously become the star they want in his fifth season and hope Ryan Gardner can elevate into that reliable full back.

But Beveridge spent the year wishing and hoping until that harsh finals spotlight Denis Pagan often spoke about exposed his team as lacking.

It’s time to turn those positional holes he spent the season papering over into strengths again.
    Fair whack at the end - and not wrong.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

McEvoy is the type of player who Bevo prefers, but has he got any footy left in him?
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Wouldn't he be an interesting acquisition? It actually makes a bit of sense to consider him
    We are looking for some depth with a key defender and ruckman and he has some form
    Would he be much of an upgrade on Trengove?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    McEvoy is the type of player who Bevo prefers, but has he got any footy left in him?
    He played 16 games this year so for another season or two he might offer us a bit

I agree this might suit Bevo but...if Trengove isn't being played because he doesn't cover the ground quickly enough will McEvoy do it much better?
    Could he play 2nd fiddle to English and would he be willing to accept a lesser role at another club?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'd enquire about Carlisle. Still a good player and is out of contract I believe. I think he has had off field issues in the past but given he just left the hub to be with his wife for the birth of their baby, I'd say it's exactly that, in the past. We've been interested in him before but at 29 years old I wonder if we would still be keen
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He played 16 games this year so for another season or two he might offer us a bit

I agree this might suit Bevo but...if Trengove isn't being played because he doesn't cover the ground quickly enough will McEvoy do it much better?
    Could he play 2nd fiddle to English and would he be willing to accept a lesser role at another club?
    From what I gathered he wasn't first choice ruck when Jon Ceglar was available. They preferred him playing CHB.

So maybe not a lesser role?

Gunston and McEvoy double act.

I do recall another poster suggestion McEvoy some weeks back - at the time I countered with Ceglar.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

The HS on WOOF again...

I reckon Goldy is gettable but we'll have to give up first rounder with something and Goldy coming back the other way. I wonder if Norf have any interest in Lew Young, Pat Lipinski or Schache. We seem to get things done with Norf.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.