Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2020 season - The positives

I'm as annoyed as anyone after the loss yesterday but there were a number of positives for the season I'd like to call out and discuss.

Players

Bailey Williams - 12 months ago he was struggling to get a contract. This year he returned to some excellent and consistent form averaging 16.6 disposals over 18 games. He was a poised user of the football and really slotted into the backline well

Should he be moved into a more midfield role in 2021 given our surplus of defenders?

Mitch Wallis
    - Really adapted to his role in the forward line and frequently hit the scoreboard. He kicked 25 goals and was a vital component of our forward line. His possession level halved from previous season but he found a way to make a solid contribution

Bailey Smith - A sensational 2nd season where is stats averages increased from the previous season even with the reduced quarters playing time. He slowed down a bit at the end of the season but it's hard not to get excited about him

Alex Keath - Had a grand season for us and adapted well to a new role as a 1 v 1 defender than his more natural game as an interceptor. While his stats we well down on his efforts with the Crows last year he had to adapt to a more defensive than creative role with his. Typically uses the ball so well

Laitham Vandermeer - Had an exciting season for us as a pressure half forward where his pace and intensity were noticeable traits. In 12 games he managed to kick 9 goals and he will be very much in the planning for the 2021 season

Lachie Hunter - Bounced back from two major challenges this year to be a terrific contributor for us.

Tom Liberatore - There were some questions marks on what sort of force Liberatore could be this year year but his performances were first rate. He still offers us plenty for 2021

On Field attributes

Marcus Bontempelli and his captaincy
    - An excellent debut season as the captain and he handled the media requirements like a seasoned veteran.

What were some of the other positives for us in 2020?
    Last edited by GVGjr; 04-10-2020 at 04:49 PM. Reason: updated..
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 season - The positives

VDM for sure. Showed us all sides to his game that weren't previously sold to us while playing in a non-preferred role.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    VDM for sure. Showed us all sides to his game that weren't previously sold to us while playing in a non-preferred role.
    Excellent call, he's going to be huge for us. I will edit the thread OP and add him to it

Post Thanks / Like

It was a positive that we turned around what looked like a train wreck season.

I was impressed by how Hunter came back after what was obviously a challenging time for him.

It was great to see Wallis virtually will himself into mastering a new role. LIbba had a terrific season.

Two maligned fringe players in R Smith and Gardner showed more promise than we expected. In the case of the former, you have to feel happy that his body has finally given him a decent run at it.

Immediately after our loss it is hard not to add caveats to all of the above because there is plenty to be disappointed about, and I notice my “positives” are a bit lukewarm, but I’m trying!
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

5. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes HOSE B ROMERO, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks BT, I'm going to add Lachie and Tom to the OP but I'm not quite convinced on the other two boys just yet.
    Perhaps I can be convinced

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Thanks BT, I'm going to add Lachie and Tom to the OP but I'm not quite convinced on the other two boys just yet.
    Perhaps I can be convinced
    That’s what I mean about lukewarm...I’m not sold on Smith and Gardner either, just pointing out that we at least saw ‘something’ of why they continue to be selected!
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

8. Likes GVGjr, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The emergence of Dutch as a competitive, dynamic, run and carry player with a nose for goal was pleasing. He was a real highlight.

Libba's return to form was welcome.

Wallis' set a gold standard in professionalism for the rest of the Club in learning your role and committing to high performance.

McLean's form when he had more defensive task got the best out of him, both ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Heaps of positives this year, however many have question marks alongside them.

English showed that he can be very good. Prior to this year he had never had a good game in the ruck as a tap ruckman, had never shown an ability to win dangerous hitouts to advantage, had never had a big impact on any game and had struggled to demonstrate an ability to be an aerial threat around the game. He showed this year that he can do all those things. Yes he has severe limitations, yes I am extremely concerned about the viability of him being our sole ruck with zero backup week to week, but you cannot deny that he took a big step forward this year.

Caleb Daniel continued his rise into the AFL elite with an AA selection and an incredible season. We showed as a team we could avoid having him isolated deep one on one (yesterday aside) and have him be an influential player setting up our attacking moves every week.

Bailey Smith took another step forward, his first few rounds he was clearly our best player, from memory he is at least top 3 for our WOOF B&F, he is the exact blend of inside outside and aggressive that we need, super year.

Bontempelli had a slow start but emerged from mid year as the star we know him to be, influencing games, kicking some crucial games and growing into the captaincy role.

Bailey Williams has gone from being a fringe player who we all believed in but wasn't delivering to one of our best defenders. His composure, intercept marking and ball use have all been highlights in a great break out year.

Mitch Wallis demonstrated that he can be a very dangerous forward and awkward matchup. Really impressive season that puts him around the AA squad mark which is impressive for a slow and slightly sloppy inside mid.

Tom Liberatore reclaimed his status as one of our best players and managed to bring his perfect combination of elite inside skills and pest ability for almost the entire season. Libba was probably a player who could have been looking at an early retirement/delisting if he had a bad year so to go the complete other way is hugely positive.

Jackson Macrae had another very good year earning AA selection. He just keeps on keeping on and deserves credit for meeting his own very high standards again.

Laitham Vandermeer emerged as not the player we expected but my god absolutely the player we wanted. Like a quick Liam Picken with hardness and attitude he was fantastic and probably would have been useful yesterday. Very encouraging.

Lachie Hunter managed to put a horrid first half of the season behind him to have an outstanding second half that probably would have had him in AA contention had it been all year. All the hallmarks of his game (hard running, clever kicks and bad set shots) were all apparent and he should be proud of how he recovered from a bad situation.

Easton Wood is a minor positive, in that unlike the last few seasons I thought he was a good contributor and showed he is definitely good enough still. How he fits in a lineup with 12 other defenders I'm not sure but considering how bad his last few seasons have been I think he gets credit for being good again.

Aaron Naughton was kind of positive, he failed to have the season we wanted (largely though constant injury) but he still remained dangerous and is clearly still our best forward. I think he is set up well for a good 2021.

Roarke Smith managed to put together his best run of form in the seniors ever and showed he can be a servicable role player. I'm still not huge on him but he was decent.

Alex Keath had a pretty decent first season with us in a different role to his time at the Crows. Not sure he showed he can be a dominant force down there or anything but for the most part acquitted himself well.

Ryan Gardner gets credit for improving from a genuine liability to a serviceable role player. I'm not sure if I want him as anything more than a backup but I do think overall he ended the season as a positive.

Kind of depressing reading this list, really everything from Easton Wood onwards is a positive with an asterix, and almost all the players listed above that were disappointing yesterday which kind of sours this exercise. The omissions from the list are the most concerning, and i think the "2020 season - The negatives" is quite a bit longer and involves some off field staff as well. The fact that from a list of about 40 players, almost all of whom got a game at some point, only 15 make the positive list (and many of them are only scraping in) is not good any way you look at it.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

11. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Scorlibo, Sedat, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't make it to the game yesterday so I save money and having to put up with Saints supporters in close proximity.
    So there's a positive to end the 2020 season.
    Like others Vanders and Williams are big positives for me. Vanders coming on is speed we desperately need and also has a willingness to take the game on.
    Caleb also had a very good year and I think he is one that needs to move up the field more.
    The team as a whole because from were we started and to make into a final was a great effort under a season that was touch and go.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

13. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Bont as first year captain, and voted by all AFL players as second best captain in the AFL, is huge for a 24 year old. Caleb Daniel has gotten even better this year, and some were questioning (including me) whether he should be moved further up field.

I think Williams really cemented himself in the backline and in the best 22.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On a personal note, I saw the dogs play live 9 times this year. I’d say my previous nest would be 2, maybe 3 times. Silver lining.

Of course there was a distinct lack of atmosphere at most of those matches but it was probably a once in a lifetime season for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Been a crazy season 2020 and considering the poor start to the year I’m happy we turned it around and make another finals campaign obviously hurting after losing yesterday.

- Vandermeer had a great first season. Offered something up forward.

- Libba was really good this year. Impressed by his season. Had to overcome a few major injuries in recent years.

- Hunter came back in well

- Naughton and English were good. Consistency is the key for those two. English has had some great games but some poor ones as well but hopefully with more experience he will keep getting better.

- The Bont was more influential as the year went on. Started slow - just finding himself in his new role as captain.

- Bruce was a bit better towards the end of the season but still needs to be a lot better.

- Caleb Daniel and Bailey Williams really solid seasons.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 04-10-2020 at 04:36 PM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is a positives thread, but the negative for all clubs has been the HUBS and lack of a second tier competition to develop players. I wonder what effect that has on some players?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

19. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I know this is a positives thread, but the negative for all clubs has been the HUBS and lack of a second tier competition to develop players. I wonder what effect that has on some players?
    Yeah no VFL this year to get the vital games in those AFL listed players who don’t play week in week out. Certainly would have had an effect. Just those scratch matches.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The Bont as first year captain, and voted by all AFL players as second best captain in the AFL, is huge for a 24 year old. Caleb Daniel has gotten even better this year, and some were questioning (including me) whether he should be moved further up field.

I think Williams really cemented himself in the backline and in the best 22.
    He was always likely to gp well in the captaincy role but I'm not sure the other AFL players can really make that call
    You weren't happy with Bonts form or weight though so how did you rate his season from an on field playing perspective?

Caleb Daniel was a real positive, I'll add him to the OP.