Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  58
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What can the Western Bulldogs do to fix their flaws?

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Well Schache arguably has talent doesn’t he? It’s mental with him. In my mind you either have the physicality or you don’t...there’s only so much you can do to "coach" it. On talent alone he’s a start in our 22 every week.
    I think it can be coached into a player or at least improved by a fair bit.
    Schache is a bit part of the problem for his lack of games this year. If he doesn't hear the warning bells now he will never hear them

I just think he is close to being an exceptional talent and we have to find a way of unlocking that
    He, Naughton and Bruce could be a great forward combination but failing that perhaps a trial as a key defender might do wonders for him like it did Jones when he moved to Carlton.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In a side chock full of poor goal kickers Schache is a shining light. Let’s hope he has plenty of opportunities in 2021 in RWB. Then if he does not make it with us we have no annoying what ifs.
    Last edited by josie; 08-10-2020 at 08:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Well Schache arguably has talent doesn’t he? It’s mental with him. In my mind you either have the physicality or you don’t...there’s only so much you can do to "coach" it. On talent alone he’s a start in our 22 every week.
    Siren has gone, the player is 50 metres from goal on a significant angle, we are 3 points down. He runs in and kicks the goal.

No surprise because that’s why we got him. Who is he? Who’s a reliable long kick who engenders confidence?

This skill is lacking in our selection parameters and that’s why we need enormous numbers of inside 50’s to generate a few goals.

The reason we are no longer in the finals is from a possession 50 metres out we frequently (usually) need another 3 or 4 possessions.

Post Thanks / Like

Too be honest I think Schache has just as much talent if not more than Naughton. Naughton is just more confident in his ability and more physical. If Schache had those traits he'd be a great forward. He is a beautiful kick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarnTheScray View Post
    Too be honest I think Schache has just as much talent if not more than Naughton. Naughton is just more confident in his ability and more physical. If Schache had those traits he'd be a great forward. He is a beautiful kick.
    Naughton has some swagger, Schache just needs some more confidence and a bit more mongrel about him

7. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Siren has gone, the player is 50 metres from goal on a significant angle, we are 3 points down. He runs in and kicks the goal.

No surprise because that’s why we got him. Who is he? Who’s a reliable long kick who engenders confidence?

This skill is lacking in our selection parameters and that’s why we need enormous numbers of inside 50’s to generate a few goals.

The reason we are no longer in the finals is from a possession 50 metres out we frequently (usually) need another 3 or 4 possessions.
    Siren goes, Schache has kicked 1 goal and is lining up after the siren for a 2rd on a significant angle. He slots it, he's a beautifil kick. Unfortunately we lose by 4 goals.
    The theme after the game is just how lacklustre and uncompetitive Schache looked, bringing no physicality, looking disinterested and not working defensively.

I like Schache, I want him to succeed, but lets not play the game where we pretend we're leaving John Coleman out of the side. Right now Schache is unrealised talent. Its up to him whether he's got it in him to be an AFL player.
    Brisbane had no problem letting him go for pretty ordinary compensation given he was only pick 2 a couple of years earlier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Siren goes, Schache has kicked 1 goal and is lining up after the siren for a 2rd on a significant angle. He slots it, he's a beautifil kick. Unfortunately we lose by 4 goals.
    The theme after the game is just how lacklustre and uncompetitive Schache looked, bringing no physicality, looking disinterested and not working defensively.

I like Schache, I want him to succeed, but lets not play the game where we pretend we're leaving John Coleman out of the side. Right now Schache is unrealised talent. Its up to him whether he's got it in him to be an AFL player.
    Brisbane had no problem letting him go for pretty ordinary compensation given he was only pick 2 a couple of years earlier.
    I agree with this.
    Imagine what it's like for the coaches for a second. We just lost a final where we missed some crucial shots, and arguably our best goal kicker isn't out there because he may not be doing what they're asking. I understand he was injured but he just needs to make it impossible not to pick him when he's available. I hope he gets to that place.
    If we are frustrated I can only imagine they'd be going grey.

Post Thanks / Like

- I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

11. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Hahaha. I loved that episode!

Post Thanks / Like

I didn’t mention Schache. I was thinking of a situation I have seen a number of times which none of our forwards are capable of.

But thanks for pointing out that Schache can be relied upon to get 2 goals. Bruce did that twice this year and so did Naughton. In fact it was almost comical to see them getting in each other’s way. Their lack of understanding of how to play on the same forward line really cost us. I’m trying to remove all memories of that wasted afternoon so I’m not sure if anyone actually got 2 goals.

I looked it up. The team with less talent, less disposals, 15 less inside 50’s ,less scoring shots won. None of the ‘physical ‘ forwards could manage a second goal when it was needed.

The Dogs lost another one that should not have been in dispute.
    Last edited by Danjul; 08-10-2020 at 08:52 PM. Reason: did some re

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone work out where Easton Wood plays for the next 2 years? If we are successful and get another key defender and small forward surely Crozier goes back and gets dangerous along with Keath in the air and Williams Duryea JJ Daniel and Richards rotate through the running back roles. Easton just doesn't intercept mark anymore, and he obviously cant play as a key defender it's going to be very interesting in how we use him. Can you play as a lock down small defender and not offer anything offensively in the modern game?

Post Thanks / Like

Development of players has been given a bit of a mention of late. Just watching Mark Williams on the Front Bar and I feel we could benefit from having him at the club working with some of our players. He's still got something to offer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Can anyone work out where Easton Wood plays for the next 2 years?
    Footscray.

I've loved Woody over the years for the most part and he was spectacular in 15-16, but he offers next to nothing now. As you mentioned, he doesn't intercept anymore, he doesn't rebound and he can't play above his weight on the KPPs.

Simply needs to get back to intercepting to find a spot IMO.

17. Likes kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Development of players has been given a bit of a mention of late. Just watching Mark Williams on the Front Bar and I feel we could benefit from having him at the club working with some of our players. He's still got something to offer
    Whats the odds of no change in the coaching department you think? It's surprising no one in the media even gives it a mention.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Whats the odds of no change in the coaching department you think? It's surprising no one in the media even gives it a mention.
    We won't change the coaching. We've made the hard cuts and I doubt we will push things further but if player development is a focus then Williams or someone like him might be a welcome addition