Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs must land Todd Goldstein, Daniel Talia or Ben McEvoy to remain in premiership window

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    From what I gathered he wasn't first choice ruck when Jon Ceglar was available. They preferred him playing CHB.

So maybe not a lesser role?

Gunston and McEvoy double act.

I do recall another poster suggestion McEvoy some weeks back - at the time I countered with Ceglar.
    That was me. I don't think it is a case of the Hawks rating Ceglar as a better ruck than McEvoy, more looking to transition Ceglar into the number 1 role. Pushing McEvoy back was a way to keep them both in the side.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs must land Todd Goldstein, Daniel Talia or Ben McEvoy to remain in premiership window

Talia couldn't even sneak into the top-ten in the Crows' B-&-F this year.

Granted they had a diabolical season but he looked slow, spiritless and a step behind all year.

Changing tack though, we're nuts if we're not into Gunston.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Gunston would cost a bomb pick wise.

How often does a reigning B&F winner walk out the door?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I think we get games into Sweet. I watched the 1st pre season game against North and Sweet did reasonable for a rookie playing his first senior game. Taps went 60/40 in favor of Goldstein but he wasn't as out muscled as Tim is. I think Sweet aerobic capacity might be an issue but he did ruck the whole 4 quarters.
    We missed the chance to play Sweet and English together for the season just to see how it went. Sweet needs to really try and get mobile in the off season and who knows.
    Either Bruce or Naughton goes back to CHF and Sweet and English rotate out of the Forward line. We could of had a ruck combo working on some synergy together and the worst thing come out of it you find out if we needed to find another ruck this year.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

It's happening.

Talia is a rubbish selection and Mcevoy would be passable but the Goldstein deal is going to happen. If/when we go to North with a 2021 first how can they possibly say no?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    It's happening.

Talia is a rubbish selection and Mcevoy would be passable but the Goldstein deal is going to happen. If/when we go to North with a 2021 first how can they possibly say no?
    You might need to have a few beers with Bevo down at the yarraville cricket nets and talk it through.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    You might need to have a few beers with Bevo down at the yarraville cricket nets and talk it through.
    Maybe send down some chin music to set him straight.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yes, I think he's a pretty good fit for us and I think if we were able to get two years out of him plus the possibility of a third it would suit our needs.
    I don't think so, he's cooked for mine there's a reason he's playing CHB - even though he's not he's actually playing CHB it's been more lock down-type roles - it's because he simply can't get around the ground anymore. He's had a very hard life and for mine, is now past his expiry date and, let's face it, this article isn't about McEvoy or Talia (heaven forbid), it's about Goldy. We can find a pretty good CHB in quite a few places but there is no one else available who has the elite skill set of Goldy.

The pros for trading for Goldy are we get Goldy. He's had a hard life too but has always had a very high constitution and is still playing in the role we will draft him for, and is playing at an elite level. He gets the chance of playing deep finals for the last 2 (3?) years of his football life. He can probably top up a bit as well because we'll offer him slightly more money than Norf.

The cons for trading for Goldy are that we have to give up something good and pay him more money than Norf will. Some posters have mentioned our future first round with something later coming back and I agree; even though you can land a bloody good player in the 15-20 bracket but there is also quite a few misses in this range as well. You have to go to that level I think. If we can get him for something less (bearing in mind our 2022 first is hopefully very close to pick 18 prior to any draft concessions), even better. I think we can but that may involve a player. Would you give up Lippa?

The net result for Norf is they lose Goldy but don't you think it's funny that they haven't delisted Tom Campbell? Is that because Goldy could very well be out the door next year? Could Tom be a gap filler while they develop (god knows who) in this role? Trading Goldy is pretty high return for Norf as they get a future first rounder to assist with their rebuild and don't have to pay a big contract for a guy who is never going to play a final for them.

Will Norf and Goldy go for it? I reckon they will. Will Bevo?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I don't think so, he's cooked for mine there's a reason he's playing CHB - even though he's not he's actually playing CHB it's been more lock down-type roles - it's because he simply can't get around the ground anymore. He's had a very hard life and for mine, is now past his expiry date and, let's face it, this article isn't about McEvoy or Talia (heaven forbid), it's about Goldy. We can find a pretty good CHB in quite a few places but there is no one else available who has the elite skill set of Goldy.

The pros for trading for Goldy are we get Goldy. He's had a hard life too but has always had a very high constitution and is still playing in the role we will draft him for, and is playing at an elite level. He gets the chance of playing deep finals for the last 2 (3?) years of his football life. He can probably top up a bit as well because we'll offer him slightly more money than Norf.

The cons for trading for Goldy are that we have to give up something good and pay him more money than Norf will. Some posters have mentioned our future first round with something later coming back and I agree; even though you can land a bloody good player in the 15-20 bracket but there is also quite a few misses in this range as well. You have to go to that level I think. If we can get him for something less (bearing in mind our 2022 first is hopefully very close to pick 18 prior to any draft concessions), even better. I think we can but that may involve a player. Would you give up Lippa?

The net result for Norf is they lose Goldy but don't you think it's funny that they haven't delisted Tom Campbell? Is that because Goldy could very well be out the door next year? Could Tom be a gap filler while they develop (god knows who) in this role? Trading Goldy is pretty high return for Norf as they get a future first rounder to assist with their rebuild and don't have to pay a big contract for a guy who is never going to play a final for them.

I believe Campbell is still there because he has another year on his contract, not the sort of club that can afford to pay out contracts I would think.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I believe Campbell is still there because he has another year on his contract, not the sort of club that can afford to pay out contracts I would think.
    They just paid out the last 2 years of Jade Rawlings' assistant coaching contract and also paid out Brad Scott last year.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I can't imagine the Talia family would be too keen on the Bulldogs.
    Can't imagine the Dogs would be keen on Talia.......anyway he looked like a dinosaur when we played them.....no chance of being brought in.Silly suggestion

Post Thanks / Like

Goldstein is not the answer. Ben McEvoy is a much better bet and a better option. He has the capability to play forward/back and in the ruck. He also has finals/premiership experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post

Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    You gotta love the dude.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    You gotta love the dude.
    All he wants is his rug and all we want is another flag... Surely it can't be that hard....

16. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post