Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Warragul
    Posts
    5,480
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Western Bulldogs must land Todd Goldstein, Daniel Talia or Ben McEvoy to remain in premiership window

    Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    From what I gathered he wasn't first choice ruck when Jon Ceglar was available. They preferred him playing CHB.

    So maybe not a lesser role?

    Gunston and McEvoy double act.

    I do recall another poster suggestion McEvoy some weeks back - at the time I countered with Ceglar.
    That was me. I don't think it is a case of the Hawks rating Ceglar as a better ruck than McEvoy, more looking to transition Ceglar into the number 1 role. Pushing McEvoy back was a way to keep them both in the side.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,039
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Western Bulldogs must land Todd Goldstein, Daniel Talia or Ben McEvoy to remain in premiership window

    Talia couldn't even sneak into the top-ten in the Crows' B-&-F this year.

    Granted they had a diabolical season but he looked slow, spiritless and a step behind all year.

    Changing tack though, we're nuts if we're not into Gunston.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Western Bulldogs must land Todd Goldstein, Daniel Talia or Ben McEvoy to remain in premiership window

    Gunston would cost a bomb pick wise.

    How often does a reigning B&F winner walk out the door?
    #BeMoreBulldog

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,934
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Western Bulldogs must land Todd Goldstein, Daniel Talia or Ben McEvoy to remain in premiership window

    I think we get games into Sweet. I watched the 1st pre season game against North and Sweet did reasonable for a rookie playing his first senior game. Taps went 60/40 in favor of Goldstein but he wasn't as out muscled as Tim is. I think Sweet aerobic capacity might be an issue but he did ruck the whole 4 quarters.
    We missed the chance to play Sweet and English together for the season just to see how it went. Sweet needs to really try and get mobile in the off season and who knows.
    Either Bruce or Naughton goes back to CHF and Sweet and English rotate out of the Forward line. We could of had a ruck combo working on some synergy together and the worst thing come out of it you find out if we needed to find another ruck this year.
    There are plenty of talented people in the world. As you already know, talent is not enough. Some of the athletes with the most potential never pan out. What separates the good from the great is determination and work ethic.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,744
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Western Bulldogs must land Todd Goldstein, Daniel Talia or Ben McEvoy to remain in premiership window

    It's happening.

    Talia is a rubbish selection and Mcevoy would be passable but the Goldstein deal is going to happen. If/when we go to North with a 2021 first how can they possibly say no?
    - RIP Goldstein for 2021 First - 2020-2020 -

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Western Bulldogs must land Todd Goldstein, Daniel Talia or Ben McEvoy to remain in premiership window

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    It's happening.

    Talia is a rubbish selection and Mcevoy would be passable but the Goldstein deal is going to happen. If/when we go to North with a 2021 first how can they possibly say no?
    You might need to have a few beers with Bevo down at the yarraville cricket nets and talk it through.
    #BeMoreBulldog

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,744
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Western Bulldogs must land Todd Goldstein, Daniel Talia or Ben McEvoy to remain in premiership window

    Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    You might need to have a few beers with Bevo down at the yarraville cricket nets and talk it through.
    Maybe send down some chin music to set him straight.
    - RIP Goldstein for 2021 First - 2020-2020 -

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dogsville
    Posts
    10,288
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Western Bulldogs must land Todd Goldstein, Daniel Talia or Ben McEvoy to remain in premiership window

    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yes, I think he's a pretty good fit for us and I think if we were able to get two years out of him plus the possibility of a third it would suit our needs.
    I don't think so, he's cooked for mine there's a reason he's playing CHB - even though he's not he's actually playing CHB it's been more lock down-type roles - it's because he simply can't get around the ground anymore. He's had a very hard life and for mine, is now past his expiry date and, let's face it, this article isn't about McEvoy or Talia (heaven forbid), it's about Goldy. We can find a pretty good CHB in quite a few places but there is no one else available who has the elite skill set of Goldy.

    The pros for trading for Goldy are we get Goldy. He's had a hard life too but has always had a very high constitution and is still playing in the role we will draft him for, and is playing at an elite level. He gets the chance of playing deep finals for the last 2 (3?) years of his football life. He can probably top up a bit as well because we'll offer him slightly more money than Norf.

    The cons for trading for Goldy are that we have to give up something good and pay him more money than Norf will. Some posters have mentioned our future first round with something later coming back and I agree; even though you can land a bloody good player in the 15-20 bracket but there is also quite a few misses in this range as well. You have to go to that level I think. If we can get him for something less (bearing in mind our 2022 first is hopefully very close to pick 18 prior to any draft concessions), even better. I think we can but that may involve a player. Would you give up Lippa?

    The net result for Norf is they lose Goldy but don't you think it's funny that they haven't delisted Tom Campbell? Is that because Goldy could very well be out the door next year? Could Tom be a gap filler while they develop (god knows who) in this role? Trading Goldy is pretty high return for Norf as they get a future first rounder to assist with their rebuild and don't have to pay a big contract for a guy who is never going to play a final for them.

    Will Norf and Goldy go for it? I reckon they will. Will Bevo?
    Josh Schache >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jake Stringer

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    sydenham
    Posts
    11,232
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Western Bulldogs must land Todd Goldstein, Daniel Talia or Ben McEvoy to remain in premiership window

    Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I don't think so, he's cooked for mine there's a reason he's playing CHB - even though he's not he's actually playing CHB it's been more lock down-type roles - it's because he simply can't get around the ground anymore. He's had a very hard life and for mine, is now past his expiry date and, let's face it, this article isn't about McEvoy or Talia (heaven forbid), it's about Goldy. We can find a pretty good CHB in quite a few places but there is no one else available who has the elite skill set of Goldy.

    The pros for trading for Goldy are we get Goldy. He's had a hard life too but has always had a very high constitution and is still playing in the role we will draft him for, and is playing at an elite level. He gets the chance of playing deep finals for the last 2 (3?) years of his football life. He can probably top up a bit as well because we'll offer him slightly more money than Norf.

    The cons for trading for Goldy are that we have to give up something good and pay him more money than Norf will. Some posters have mentioned our future first round with something later coming back and I agree; even though you can land a bloody good player in the 15-20 bracket but there is also quite a few misses in this range as well. You have to go to that level I think. If we can get him for something less (bearing in mind our 2022 first is hopefully very close to pick 18 prior to any draft concessions), even better. I think we can but that may involve a player. Would you give up Lippa?

    The net result for Norf is they lose Goldy but don't you think it's funny that they haven't delisted Tom Campbell? Is that because Goldy could very well be out the door next year? Could Tom be a gap filler while they develop (god knows who) in this role? Trading Goldy is pretty high return for Norf as they get a future first rounder to assist with their rebuild and don't have to pay a big contract for a guy who is never going to play a final for them.

    Will Norf and Goldy go for it? I reckon they will. Will Bevo?
    I believe Campbell is still there because he has another year on his contract, not the sort of club that can afford to pay out contracts I would think.
    Bring back the biff

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Western Bulldogs must land Todd Goldstein, Daniel Talia or Ben McEvoy to remain in premiership window

    Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I believe Campbell is still there because he has another year on his contract, not the sort of club that can afford to pay out contracts I would think.
    They just paid out the last 2 years of Jade Rawlings' assistant coaching contract and also paid out Brad Scott last year.
    "You've got no fear of The Underdog, that's why you will not survive"
    - Spoon, 2007
    - Western Bulldogs, 2016

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,500
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Western Bulldogs must land Todd Goldstein, Daniel Talia or Ben McEvoy to remain in premiership window

    Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I can't imagine the Talia family would be too keen on the Bulldogs.
    Can't imagine the Dogs would be keen on Talia.......anyway he looked like a dinosaur when we played them.....no chance of being brought in.Silly suggestion

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,500
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Western Bulldogs must land Todd Goldstein, Daniel Talia or Ben McEvoy to remain in premiership window

    Goldstein is not the answer. Ben McEvoy is a much better bet and a better option. He has the capability to play forward/back and in the ruck. He also has finals/premiership experience.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    11,133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Western Bulldogs must land Todd Goldstein, Daniel Talia or Ben McEvoy to remain in premiership window

    Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I don't think so, he's cooked for mine there's a reason he's playing CHB - even though he's not he's actually playing CHB it's been more lock down-type roles - it's because he simply can't get around the ground anymore. He's had a very hard life and for mine, is now past his expiry date and, let's face it, this article isn't about McEvoy or Talia (heaven forbid), it's about Goldy. We can find a pretty good CHB in quite a few places but there is no one else available who has the elite skill set of Goldy.

    The pros for trading for Goldy are we get Goldy. He's had a hard life too but has always had a very high constitution and is still playing in the role we will draft him for, and is playing at an elite level. He gets the chance of playing deep finals for the last 2 (3?) years of his football life. He can probably top up a bit as well because we'll offer him slightly more money than Norf.

    The cons for trading for Goldy are that we have to give up something good and pay him more money than Norf will. Some posters have mentioned our future first round with something later coming back and I agree; even though you can land a bloody good player in the 15-20 bracket but there is also quite a few misses in this range as well. You have to go to that level I think. If we can get him for something less (bearing in mind our 2022 first is hopefully very close to pick 18 prior to any draft concessions), even better. I think we can but that may involve a player. Would you give up Lippa?

    The net result for Norf is they lose Goldy but don't you think it's funny that they haven't delisted Tom Campbell? Is that because Goldy could very well be out the door next year? Could Tom be a gap filler while they develop (god knows who) in this role? Trading Goldy is pretty high return for Norf as they get a future first rounder to assist with their rebuild and don't have to pay a big contract for a guy who is never going to play a final for them.

    Will Norf and Goldy go for it? I reckon they will. Will Bevo?

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Qld.
    Posts
    7,453
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Western Bulldogs must land Todd Goldstein, Daniel Talia or Ben McEvoy to remain in premiership window

    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    You gotta love the dude.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Western Bulldogs must land Todd Goldstein, Daniel Talia or Ben McEvoy to remain in premiership window

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    You gotta love the dude.
    All he wants is his rug and all we want is another flag... Surely it can't be that hard....
    #BeMoreBulldog

  16. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •