Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  54
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gerard whateley delivers honest assessment of the bulldogs

Tony Libba rang SEN apparently to have a go at Gerard.

The 1990 Brownlow Medallist said Whateley’s comments were “flawed” and “totally out of line”.

“I just think we’re one or two players short,” Liberatore said.

“Is Aaron Naughton nothing? Is Tim English nothing? Give me Naughton any day over Tom Hawkins, right here, right now.

“He’s just come off from a broken cheekbone and he had a really good last quarter where he took three big pack marks and nearly won the game for us.

“Tom Hawkins kicked five behinds and was beaten by a player (Trent McKenzie) who was let go from Gold Coast and has done an amazing job from Port Adelaide.

“I just think your comments are flawed, I believe strongly in this and never rang up and mentioned this – I think we’re doing a good job and we’re just a couple of players short.

“How hard you went on us yesterday from my understanding from a friend of mine, is totally out of line.”
    I agree with Tony, we are a few players short of being top 4, second ruck, Fullback, and small pressure forward.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes SquirrelGrip, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope the club don't agree with Libba.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

4. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Tony Libba rang SEN apparently to have a go at Gerard.

The 1990 Brownlow Medallist said Whateley’s comments were “flawed” and “totally out of line”.

“I just think we’re one or two players short,” Liberatore said.

“Is Aaron Naughton nothing? Is Tim English nothing? Give me Naughton any day over Tom Hawkins, right here, right now.

“He’s just come off from a broken cheekbone and he had a really good last quarter where he took three big pack marks and nearly won the game for us.

“Tom Hawkins kicked five behinds and was beaten by a player (Trent McKenzie) who was let go from Gold Coast and has done an amazing job from Port Adelaide.

“I just think your comments are flawed, I believe strongly in this and never rang up and mentioned this – I think we’re doing a good job and we’re just a couple of players short.

“How hard you went on us yesterday from my understanding from a friend of mine, is totally out of line.”

I agree with Tony, we are a few players short of being top 4, second ruck, Fullback, and small pressure forward.
    Still love Tony Libba!
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

6. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gerard has pretty much nailed this as he usually does. The list needs some work, the only thing I’m confident in is that we have a top line coach. Bevo does have to take some responsibility for the list though as he would have to have a say in how deep we do/don’t cut.

8. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatetley thinks he is an expert in every sport
    Whateley grates but not sure it takes an expert to voice the flaws we've laid bare in consecutive finals failures now, with middling seasons to match.

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I hope the club don't agree with Libba.
    Indeed. Unsure why Libba's suddenly so defensive but if the footy department's satisfied some tinkering will cure our ills we'll continue to tread water, or sink.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Indeed. Unsure why Libba's suddenly so defensive but if the footy department's satisfied some tinkering will cure our ills we'll continue to tread water, or sink.
    He didn't say some tinkering, he said a few players, which I agree on.

Are you and Comrade talking wholesale changes?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm talking the entire game plan needs scrapping and significant turn over of personnel from our EF team is required. Adding a genuine, mature ruck to partner with English is only the start.

The entire balance is out of whack. Our talls aren't tall or good enough. Our smalls aren't quick or skilful enough. Our forward line is full of slow, non forwards who can't tackle or create opportunity. Our backline is fragile, our defensive set up is completely exposed against good sides and relies on midfield dominance. We are stacked with mid sized half back flankers, yet none of them are weapons in the air or generate attack from half back intercepts.

Our trade strategy is flawed, with no slam dunk game changing inclusions in 4 years (Keath is closest). Our development of younger players is questionable (2020 has made this difficult so they get some leeway there). Which kid besides Vandermeer really jumped out of the box this year?

Our match selection seems nonsensical at times.

There are problems everywhere and we are destined for more mid table finishes if significant changes aren't made. If you can't see that after 4 years of the same results, we're watching a team through a completely different lens.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta love Libba & his passion. Kinda think truth is half way bw Whately & optimists.

Great to debate issues like this on woof. Different perspectives enrich forum.

13. Likes anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Gotta love Libba & his passion. Kinda think truth is half way bw Whately & optimists.

Great to debate issues like this on woof. Different perspectives enrich forum.
    We have to be realistic as well.

Post Thanks / Like

We have to be realistic as well.
    Yeah, that would be a breath of fresh air.

16. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely the stat that we’ve spent 2 weeks in the top 4 out of 80 weeks of footy says we’re a fair way off?

Don’t forget, most other teams will improve next year too. We need to make a step change in order to move up the ladder. It could be only 2 key players... but it could be a lot more, could be a full rework of game plan... but it needs to have an impact. A real impact.

Ultimately, the changes we’ve made in the past 12 months have made a net 0 impact.
    We are, in real terms, no better off than last year... just a year older.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Surely the stat that we’ve spent 2 weeks in the top 4 out of 80 weeks of footy says we’re a fair way off?

Don’t forget, most other teams will improve next year too. We need to make a step change in order to move up the ladder. It could be only 2 key players... but it could be a lot more, could be a full rework of game plan... but it needs to have an impact. A real impact.

Ultimately, the changes we’ve made in the past 12 months have made a net 0 impact.
    I'd say we've gone back a step, in that we didn't really threaten any of the top 6 clubs this year at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post

We have to also remember, this has been a difficult year for not just us but every team with second tier competitions non existent.

This has stifled development of a lot of players. I feel sorry for the 1st and 2nd year players like Butler, Weightman, West to name a few. Even JUH who isn't even at the club yet - who knows how he goes. We are basing it all on a 17 year old, and at that age there is a big difference between 17, 18, 19 year olds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I'm talking the entire game plan needs scrapping and significant turn over of personnel from our EF team is required. Adding a genuine, mature ruck to partner with English is only the start.

The entire balance is out of whack. Our talls aren't tall or good enough. Our smalls aren't quick or skilful enough. Our forward line is full of slow, non forwards who can't tackle or create opportunity. Our backline is fragile, our defensive set up is completely exposed against good sides and relies on midfield dominance. We are stacked with mid sized half back flankers, yet none of them are weapons in the air or generate attack from half back intercepts.

Our trade strategy is flawed, with no slam dunk game changing inclusions in 4 years (Keath is closest). Our development of younger players is questionable (2020 has made this difficult so they get some leeway there). Which kid besides Vandermeer really jumped out of the box this year?

Our match selection seems nonsensical at times.

There are problems everywhere and we are destined for more mid table finishes if significant changes aren't made. If you can't see that after 4 years of the same results, we're watching a team through a completely different lens.
    Bailey Williams was the other nice surprise this year but the stalled progress of a host of others continues to confound. Oddly, rather than picking over other team's scraps I forlornly believe the remedies to some of our problems already exist on the list but am losing faith we're able to competently maximise those assets, granted this year's been a write off, developmentally.

More broadly, how about a more durable game plan that's less volatile, less boom or bust? A plan our players are able to reliably execute for something closer to four quarters?

When inclined to wonder if that's just not Bevo's style I recall the sides we sent out in 2015 & 2016 that shared one reassuring trait, namely resilience when tested. We could take a punch, readjust if need be then answer back, showing the kind of character 'good' sides possessed and affirmed, shit, suddenly we were one of them.

Right now, however breathtaking our best footy is, nobody, NOBODY would approach us without thinking they're a chance because how can you trust us?

The gag about Sam Pang being nicknamed 'the Orchid' as a player because he needed absolutely perfect conditions to thrive feels like it was coined for us right now. This team's too talented for that to be its post-flag legacy.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

21. Likes anfo27, GVGjr, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    The gag about Sam Pang being nicknamed 'the Orchid' as a player because he needed absolutely perfect conditions to thrive feels like it was coined for us right now. This team's too talented for that to be its post-flag legacy.
    Geez, truth hurts but we are the Western Orchids right now.