Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  54
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 83
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,989
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gerard whateley delivers honest assessment of the bulldogs

    Macrae and Hunter can use the ball. I think they'll look like much better users if we have a better system forward that gives them targets to hit or alternatively a long bail out option that's a decent chance to take the contested mark 1v1 or if not bring the ball to ground.

    Dunks is probably a bit worse but he can hit up a target when there are actually targets to hit.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,349
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gerard whateley delivers honest assessment of the bulldogs

    Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Macrae and Hunter can use the ball. I think they'll look like much better users if we have a better system forward that gives them targets to hit or alternatively a long bail out option that's a decent chance to take the contested mark 1v1 or if not bring the ball to ground.

    Dunks is probably a bit worse but he can hit up a target when there are actually targets to hit.
    So what’s the source of the problem of no targets then? Why did we see just two games (against north and Adelaide) where we had any sort of space and fluid ball movement into our 50? Is that simply because of the inferior opposition? Do the better teams know that clogging our 50 is so effective because our forwards are hopeless? If so that’s and easy win each week for them. I don’t buy it though. Bruce has played in functioning forward lines. He’s been around long enough. Wally is a smart guy. They can’t be that inept at knowing where to be and staying out of each others way.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Algester, Qld
    Posts
    5,953
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gerard whateley delivers honest assessment of the bulldogs

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    So what’s the source of the problem of no targets then? Why did we see just two games (against north and Adelaide) where we had any sort of space and fluid ball movement into our 50? Is that simply because of the inferior opposition? Do the better teams know that clogging our 50 is so effective because our forwards are hopeless? If so that’s and easy win each week for them. I don’t buy it though. Bruce has played in functioning forward lines. He’s been around long enough. Wally is a smart guy. They can’t be that inept at knowing where to be and staying out of each others way.
    Its a puzzler, but the common theme when I have watched them live this year is how often our forwards, before the player upfield disposes of the ball, either:
    a) don't move...OR
    b) when they do, they seem to converge on top of each other.

    It's even more frustrating when I'd then see the opposition forward line be able to generate space to be hit on the lead

  4. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
  5. #64
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tassie (but wishes i was onstage with KISS) !!!
    Posts
    2,598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gerard whateley delivers honest assessment of the bulldogs

    Do we move Daniel to a wing and JJ to a hff ?
    I will never see #16 the same!!

  6. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tassie (but wishes i was onstage with KISS) !!!
    Posts
    2,598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gerard whateley delivers honest assessment of the bulldogs

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    So what’s the source of the problem of no targets then? Why did we see just two games (against north and Adelaide) where we had any sort of space and fluid ball movement into our 50? Is that simply because of the inferior opposition? Do the better teams know that clogging our 50 is so effective because our forwards are hopeless? If so that’s and easy win each week for them. I don’t buy it though. Bruce has played in functioning forward lines. He’s been around long enough. Wally is a smart guy. They can’t be that inept at knowing where to be and staying out of each others way.
    I agree, it’s obviously the delivery into the fwd 50 that’s the problem. It’s either too slow, or the kicking is lacklustre. As good as macrae can be getting the ball, 80% of his kicks are bag of wheat floaters. We seriously need great users of the ball.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

  7. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,989
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gerard whateley delivers honest assessment of the bulldogs

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    So what’s the source of the problem of no targets then? Why did we see just two games (against north and Adelaide) where we had any sort of space and fluid ball movement into our 50? Is that simply because of the inferior opposition? Do the better teams know that clogging our 50 is so effective because our forwards are hopeless? If so that’s and easy win each week for them. I don’t buy it though. Bruce has played in functioning forward lines. He’s been around long enough. Wally is a smart guy. They can’t be that inept at knowing where to be and staying out of each others way.
    Might be partly forward structure, might be partly how we move the ball forward. It's harder to say not having seen us play live in over a year.

    We have shown at times that we can hit up our forwards on the lead and kick some big scores but that doesn't tend to last against better teams

  8. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,989
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gerard whateley delivers honest assessment of the bulldogs

    Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I agree, it’s obviously the delivery into the fwd 50 that’s the problem. It’s either too slow, or the kicking is lacklustre. As good as macrae can be getting the ball, 80% of his kicks are bag of wheat floaters. We seriously need great users of the ball.
    It could be as simple as actually kicking the ball. Sometimes we just handball more than we need to. Lipinski was a good example when he had a little space at f50 and needed to take the kick but instead handballed to Bont who was immediately tacked because he had no space from his opponent.

  9. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,380
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gerard whateley delivers honest assessment of the bulldogs

    Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Do we move Daniel to a wing and JJ to a hff ?
    Yes and no.

    In theory HB is easier to play thank HF, JJ would struggle no end.
    #BeMoreBulldog

  10. #69
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tassie (but wishes i was onstage with KISS) !!!
    Posts
    2,598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gerard whateley delivers honest assessment of the bulldogs

    Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    It could be as simple as actually kicking the ball. Sometimes we just handball more than we need to. Lipinski was a good example when he had a little space at f50 and needed to take the kick but instead handballed to Bont who was immediately tacked because he had no space from his opponent.
    I agree. Lipinski should’ve had a shot. A lot of our players are deers in headlights when they reach the 40-50 metre range. They have to get it into their heads that they have free reign to have a shot, especially if they are dead in front, running directly toward goal.

    Let’s look at the first quarter against Geel, where we looked fantastic. Why? We moved the ball quickly, not overusing handball, getting into 50 quickly, and when faced with a defensive wall, hand balling back just enough for “that guy” to have a shot. That’s pretty much the only time I saw that this year. Obviously Geelong changed tactics at quarter time, but I also think we went into our shell to “save” the game instead of putting the foot on the throat.

    I really liked the look of JJ wing/hf. He looked rejuvenated and his pace would be ideal coming off a wing/hf. Put that with Daniel in the front half and we already change the delivery/pace of our delivery into 50.

    We also need a “leader” in our fwd 50 and I’m really hoping we go hard at Breust or Gunston. Their knowledge and experience is something we are desperate for.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

  11. #70
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tassie (but wishes i was onstage with KISS) !!!
    Posts
    2,598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gerard whateley delivers honest assessment of the bulldogs

    Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Yes and no.

    In theory HB is easier to play thank HF, JJ would struggle no end.
    Struggle in what way?
    I will never see #16 the same!!

  12. #71
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,380
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gerard whateley delivers honest assessment of the bulldogs

    Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Struggle in what way?
    To actually get the football, impact the game and hit the scoreboard.
    #BeMoreBulldog

  13. #72
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,349
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gerard whateley delivers honest assessment of the bulldogs

    Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    It could be as simple as actually kicking the ball. Sometimes we just handball more than we need to. Lipinski was a good example when he had a little space at f50 and needed to take the kick but instead handballed to Bont who was immediately tacked because he had no space from his opponent.
    That was a horrendous decision from Pat.

  14. #73
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    E.J. Whitten Stand
    Posts
    12,432
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gerard whateley delivers honest assessment of the bulldogs

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    That was a horrendous decision from Pat.
    Just doesn't have the temperament for finals footy. Should have rolled the dice on VDM.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

  15. #74
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tassie (but wishes i was onstage with KISS) !!!
    Posts
    2,598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gerard whateley delivers honest assessment of the bulldogs

    Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    To actually get the football, impact the game and hit the scoreboard.
    I see where you’re coming from but I don’t think he would have a problem hitting the scoreboard if he had opportunities to. At least he’s one of our rare players that can kick 50 on the run. And what I like most about him, is that given an opportunity for a goal he’s normally running directly at goal, none of this pocket BS.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

  16. #75
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    45,044
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gerard whateley delivers honest assessment of the bulldogs

    Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I agree, it’s obviously the delivery into the fwd 50 that’s the problem. It’s either too slow, or the kicking is lacklustre. As good as macrae can be getting the ball, 80% of his kicks are bag of wheat floaters. We seriously need great users of the ball.
    I think the issue is more conversion than anything. We are 4th in the AFL for marks inside 50, just above Saints, so we are hitting targets alot of the time. On Saturday, Wally missed two gettables, Hunter hit the post and Smith missed one from 20 metres out dead in front. Having said that we had 742 inside 50s for 169 marks and 168 goals, 159 behinds. The leader was Richmond with 842 inside 50s for 180 marks but only 172 goals, 159 behinds.

    One thing this season was the running patterns inside 50 between Naughton and Bruce. Naughton missed a lot of games plus their were 5 fewer H&A games which meant the two of them have not worked enough together to get some sort of rappor going.

    However, it is really annoying when guys like Macrae, Lippa and a few others won't have a shot at goal and keep looking for someone closer to goal. I would rather they had a ping and missed than getting caught with the ball and resulting in a turnover and 12 point turnaround.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  17. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •