Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  47
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Round 1 2021 Team

What will be our best starting lineup for Round 1 2021?
    We have to start somewhere....

B: Williams Hamling Gardner
    HB: JJ Keath Crozier
    C: Hunter Smith Macrae
    HF: Daniel Naughton Dunkley
    F: Jamarra English McLean
    Foll: Goldstein Bontempelli Liberatore
    Int: Richards West Wood Schache
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

2. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 1 2021 Team

I'm just going to blatantly steal from my monster post in another thread, with a few editorial changes. This is how I see us lining up.

Defence:
    Three talls is fine, as long as they are versatile. But I want to upgrade both Gardner and Cordy. They are both serviceable, but I am not convinced they allow Keath to shine and neither are anything more than ok negating defenders. Ideally we get someone who can anchor our defence, take the heat of the main forward and be a real aerial presence. Our negating small is one of Wood or Duryea, they can't both play unless one of those talls drop out. Daniel and Williams are your rebounding guys. Crozier the interceptor. Thats 7. So I just want to upgrade the talls. I did think our defence was pretty good the second half of the season and worked pretty well in theory, but think some of the personnel are suspect and we went overboard with the amount of defenders we picked. I would be very ok with dropping a tall for a general defender type, but the current setup worked pretty well in the second half of the year.

Ruck. English by himself is not it. I much prefer the idea of him playing a Westhoff type role, where he is a supporting player wherever he needs to be, using his mix of attributes and aerial ability to help shore up our defence, provide an attacking option of help link up through the middle. I want a main ruck who is constructive with his hitouts, decent around the ground (doesn't have to be amazing) and at least breaks even in the air.

Mids stay largely the same, Bont, Macrae, Libba, Dunkley and Smith is a good main group. Hunter is good on the wing. Wouldn't mind some more pace through there but I'm gonna put that in the forward grouping.

Our forwardline is terrible. Too many types that don't create and aren't natural forwards. Josh Bruce bafflingly was afforded an entire season in which he provided zero output. I'd be aiming for a forward setup that has Naughton as its centre piece, a mobile second tall (JUH I guess), a good finishing reliable smart forward (Wallis) and then a typical pacy small forward who is a good crumber and has good goal sense in congestion. The remaining forwards need to be able to push up the ground and help link up and bring the ball in while also being goal threats. At least one probably also plays on a wing (I probably give this role to JJ, and would be very open to swapping he and Daniel around as we see fit throughout the season), and another should be able to push up the ground as another mid type (Lipinski currently but his spot is very up for grabs). Vandermeer is one, two spots remain. Ideally this forwardline now changes our lineup to have pace and pressure in the forward half of the ground and really excel with quick ball movement.

So we are looking at something like:
    Defence:
    FB: Duryea/Wood (Lockdown), Anchor tall/Gardner, Third tall/general defender/Cordy/Wood/Crozier
    HB: Daniel/JJ (Main rebounder), Keath, Williams (General defender/rebound)
    +One on bench

Mids
    Centre: Hunter (Main wingman), Bont, .../JJ (High forward)
    Ruck: ??? (Main Ruck), Liberatore, Macrae
    +Smith and Dunkley on the bench

Forwards
    HF: Vandermeer (High forward with attacking intent), JUH? (Mobile tall), ??? (forward mid type with goal sense)
    FF: Wallis (Pure forward who finishes), Naughton (Main threat and target), ??? (Crumbing type)
    +English (playing wherever we feel he is needed)

-------------------------------------

Written out that is something like (Bolded need upgrading if possible, underlined means they are just keeping the spot warm and i really want us to recruit someone else there)
    FB: Duryea, Gardner, Wood
    HB: Daniel, Keath, Williams
    C: Hunter, Bontempelli, R. Smith
    HF: Vandermeer, JUH, JJ
    FF: Wallis, Naughton, Weightman
    R: Sweet, Macrae, Dunkley

I: Crozier (Defence), B. Smith, Liberatore, English
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Written out that is something like (Bolded need upgrading if possible, underlined means they are just keeping the spot warm and i really want us to recruit someone else there)
    FB: Duryea, Gardner, Wood
    HB: Daniel, Keath, Williams
    C: Hunter, Bontempelli, R. Smith
    HF: Vandermeer, JUH, JJ
    FF: Wallis, Naughton, Weightman
    R: Sweet, Macrae, Dunkley

I: Crozier (Defence), B. Smith, Liberatore, English
    R.Smith on a wing and B.Smith on the bench can't be right can it Soup?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'd imagine that's an acknowledgement that we need a proper winger, and that Bazlenka is part of the centre-bounce mid rotation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I'd imagine that's an acknowledgement that we need a proper winger, and that Bazlenka is part of the centre-bounce mid rotation.
    Yeah this is it. It's meant to represent that role being filled by a running link player more than just chucking a starting mid there AA team style. Bench means nothing in team lineups now, if it looked good putting a 7th player in each section I'd just do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Bailey Smith probably started most games this year on the bench and was the first midfield rotation, so maybe Soup just has an eye for detail?
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    What will be our best starting lineup for Round 1 2021?
    We have to start somewhere....

B: Williams Hamling Gardner
    HB: JJ Keath Crozier
    C: Hunter B Smith Macrae
    HF: Daniel Naughton Dunkley
    F: Jamarra English West
    Foll: Goldstein Bontempelli Liberatore
    Int: Vander Weightman Wood Schache
    Just remembered Toby won't be around in Round 1 and I forgot the Flying Dutchman!
    Last edited by SquirrelGrip; 06-10-2020 at 01:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Soupaman Big Risk with Sweet as he hasn't even played one game yet.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yeah hence the underline designating a placeholder. I want to play two rucks with English as the second. I'm not even convinced Sweet is on the list next year, and definitely don't want him to be our starting ruck. I also don't want to play Weightman round one based on what I've seen, nor Roarke Smith, but I've picked the side based on the types i want to see play, regardless of whether we have that personnel yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Yeah hence the underline designating a placeholder. I want to play two rucks with English as the second. I'm not even convinced Sweet is on the list next year, and definitely don't want him to be our starting ruck. I also don't want to play Weightman round one based on what I've seen, nor Roarke Smith.
    Argh, fair enough, I am with you.

I should have read the post properly

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

And in a season like this that fact is an absolute disgrace.

There have been many opportunities for everyone to see exactly what he is capable of. Maybe one of the games where Bruce had 5 or less disposals. Maybe one of the games where the team selected failed dismally, if that’s a reasonable description of a 7 goal loss.

So many others can have disastrous games and remain certainties for the next week, Remember Gardner went from VFL into the main team, played poorly and was selected the next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    And in a season like this that fact is an absolute disgrace.

There have been many opportunities for everyone to see exactly what he is capable of. Maybe one of the games where Bruce had 5 or less disposals. Maybe one of the games where the team selected failed dismally, if that’s a reasonable description of a 7 goal loss.

So many others can have disastrous games and remain certainties for the next week, Remember Gardner went from VFL into the main team, played poorly and was selected the next week.
    Let's just move forward

Post Thanks / Like

Let's just move forward
    Unfortunately we are still at risk of moving backwards!

We lost Saturday’s game because of ruck mismanagement. Pure and simple.

And most of the people here saw it coming. Because someone Has displayed a genuine talent for it for too long.

To dismiss that failure as another of the ‘nearly won’ results will not get us anywhere.

We all saw the St Kilda rucks allow the receivers an easy run, so that the more talented team lost.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Unfortunately we are still at risk of moving backwards!

We lost Saturday’s game because of ruck mismanagement. Pure and simple.

And most of the people here saw it coming. Because someone Has displayed a genuine talent for it for too long.

To dismiss that failure as another of the ‘nearly won’ results will not get us anywhere.

We all saw the St Kilda rucks allow the receivers an easy run, so that the more talented team lost.
    We didn't lose just because of the ruck. That maybe one thing but there are also many other issues

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs
    B: Williams, Keath, Gardner
    HB: Daniel, Naughton, Crozier
    C: Hunter, Dunkley, Smith
    HF: JJ, Schache, Vandermeer
    F: West, Bruce, Wallis
    Foll: English, Bontempelli, Liberatore
    Int: 2nd Ruck, Wood, Macrae, Weightman

Footscray
    B: Duryea, Le Young, ?Khamis?
    HB: La Young, Cordy, Butler
    C Hayes, Lipinski, ..........
    HF Dale, ........., Greene
    F Cavarra, Jamarra, Garcia
    R Sweet, Jong, ..........
    Int ...........

Injured: Mclean
    Assumed gone: Lloyd, Gowers, Porter, Roarke, Trengove, Suckling, Dickson

I have gone for a mix of what I hope and what I expect....

I have no doubt that Gardner will blitz the track in pre-season and get a go in round one.

I am strongly in the Naughton to defence camp. I think our side looks better with Schache up forward and Naughton defending, but I understand the desire to keep him forward. I think he will be elite wherever he plays.

I want to see Dunkley back in the midfield, a position where he was chosen as one of the best 40 players in the league last year. Let's stop messing around with him, and let him play his best football.

I am big on Rhylee West, and I want to see him play all 22 games next year (barring injury).

17. Likes SquirrelGrip, 1eyedog liked this post