Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  47
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 1 Team - 2021

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Just looking at the teams, do we have any evidence that Treloar can be effective playing outside?

I'm not sure he is a winger...According to a lot of people we are about to find out....
    Is there a reason he couldn't be? He has all the tools and he's not been played there only due to playing a "better" position with the Pies.

He actually reminds me a lot of Merrett in that his skill set would seem to be suited to an outside role, but he's played closer to the coalface because he can and it's hard as hell to find that type of player usually.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Is there a reason he couldn't be? He has all the tools and he's not been played there only due to playing a "better" position with the Pies.

He actually reminds me a lot of Merrett in that his skill set would seem to be suited to an outside role, but he's played closer to the coalface because he can and it's hard as hell to find that type of player usually.
    I watched a few of his games this week and his running patterns are more suited to a genuine midfield or even half back role. While he is an explosive player I wouldn’t say he is a great spreader like say a Hunter. More effective in short bursts around the ball.

3. Likes mjp, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    I watched a few of his games this week and his running patterns are more suited to a genuine midfield or even half back role. While he is an explosive player I wouldn’t say he is a great spreader like say a Hunter. More effective in short bursts around the ball.
    DT, with our midfield group how would you set up?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Josh Dunkley, Ruck of course.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

6. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Agree with this.

His greatest strength is getting on the move from stoppages and bursting away from congestion.

Playing on a wing would take away his main strength.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Agree with this.

His greatest strength is getting on the move from stoppages and bursting away from congestion.

Playing on a wing would take away his main strength.
    I expect we set up differently at stoppages this year - one of Bailey Smith or AT will be at every stoppage to force opposition teams to sit off a midfielder to stop our "burst" player from getting the ball forward of the congestion. That leaves a rotation of a pure inside type (Dunkley/Libba) and a genuine inside/outside player who can win it or receive the handball (Bont/Macrae).

We will surely rest a midfield at high forward too so if there is congestion they push up to the stoppage to increase our ball-winning power.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

9. Likes GVGjr, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Treloar will be inside mid and high half forward. I don't see him spending much time on a wing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Looking at speed in the forwardline:

JUH: 2.89 seconds, 20m sprint at combine (and he loves to tackle hard) (right now he's a quick small forward pocket, just 15cm taller)
    Vandermeer: 3.02 seconds, 20m sprint at combine
    B. Smith: Can't find a number, but he'd be around 3.00 seconds also (loves to tackle hard)
    Weightman: 3.01 seconds, 20m sprint at combine

If these guys were in the forwardline together at a given time, it loses a one paced risk or being too top heavy and slow risk. Say with Naughton/Bruce/Schache, English, Wallis/Weightman/Hannan, Bonts and resting mids etc, it feels a little more dynamic.

Being fed the footy by Bonts, Treloar, Macrae, Dunkley, Libba, Hunter etc.

Hopefully Bevo and our forwardline coach can put a plan in place to take full advantage.
    And did a yo-yo test midfielders would be rapt with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    And did a yo-yo test midfielders would be rapt with.
    JUH, you show off!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Treloar will be inside mid and high half forward. I don't see him spending much time on a wing.
    Why do you say he will be an inside mid? He has the burst to be an outside mid.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope we get Collingwood first up. You would expect a fair old slide from the Pies and reversing the deflation of 2020's round 1 will be just the tonic to get us up and about, circa 2015.

I think Martin and English play if it's the Pies. The trauma of rucking alone against Grundy likely hasn't gone away and getting Tim off to a positive start in 2021 is paramount.
    Last edited by The Adelaide Connection; 18-11-2020 at 12:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    ...we have 7 of the best 20 mids in it...
    There are 18 teams.

Are you saying of the top 20 mids in the comp we have 35%?

Aside from any ‘champion team beats a team of champions’ type cliches, this is a thread of its own and I would love to read about your top 20 and see where you have ours ranked.

Of the top 20 in the comp, I think we *might* have 3...I’m not sure about 7.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Our midfield is excellent and full of players who perform well individually and as a team - when the game is on their terms. But as soon as the game gets levelled or goes against them they can still be individually good players but sometimes can't gel properly and take the team with them in stopping the rot and turning the game around again. Mind you, that's actually a difficult thing to do however, if our midfield wants to be ranked in the top couple within the league then that's exactly what it needs to do.

Mofra has put up a good summation of how our midfielders will blend, to add to that I reckon a lot of the mucking around to fit everyone in will revolve around balancing one wing being added more heavily to the centre and forward rotations. I look at VDM and think I'd love him to play centre, forward and back equally because of his dash, though unfortunately due to cattle he'll have to rotate through the remaining forward five. The good thing is he could become an excellent finisher for us, a genuine running goal kicker......and eventually one of the most valuable players in the team.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    There are 18 teams.

Are you saying of the top 20 mids in the comp we have 35%?

Aside from any ‘champion team beats a team of champions’ type cliches, this is a thread of its own and I would love to read about your top 20 and see where you have ours ranked.

Of the top 20 in the comp, I think we *might* have 3...I’m not sure about 7.
    Okay this might have been hyper bowl but since you asked and I do not want to do any work:

Tier A:
    Martin (if he counts)
    Bont
    Fyfe
    Neale
    Danger

Tier B
    Cripps
    Macrae
    Steele
    Boak
    Oliver

Tier C
    J. Kelly
    Adams
    Treloar
    Parker
    Duncan

Tier D
    Mitchell
    Lyons
    Zorko
    Merrett
    T. Kelly

So maybe three is right, but our guys are still really good, plus it's not unreasonable to hope Smith to feature somewhere in there as soon as this year, and Dunkley's 2019 form was around Tier C (I think it was analogous if not quite as good as Steele's 2020).

Wingmen are their own thing, so I have Hunter behind Gaff (maybe) and just ahead of Menegola and McLuggage.

Basically it's not technically correct but it's not the most unreasonable thing I've ever said on here either.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

18. Thanks The Adelaide Connection thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 1 2021 Team

Can we merge this with https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showth...ht=round+2021? Not sure why the second one was started.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."