HB: Jason Johannisen, Alex Keath, Caleb Daniel
    C: Jack Macrae, Tom Liberatore, Lachie Hunter
    HF: Marcus Bontempelli, Josh Bruce, Josh Dunkley
    F: Mitch Hannan, Aaron Naughton, Mitch Wallis
    Foll: Stefan Martin, Adam Treloar, Bailey Smith

I/C: Tim English, Bailey Williams, Ed Richards, Patrick Lipinski

EMERG: Laitham Vandermeer, Bailey Dale, Cody Weightman, Ryan Gardner
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 1 2021 Team

So I've said a few times how in the Hawthorn 3-Peat, they changed their midfield after every goal to change things up and keep opponents guessing. This is a how we could match up over the course of 6 goals from both sides, say in a single quarter, like the 3-Peat gameplan:

1:

HB: Williams Keath Daniel
    C: Hunter Macrae JJ
    HF: Treloar Naughton Dunkley
    F: B. Smith Bruce Weightman
    R: Martin Libba Bonts

2:

C: Hunter Dunkley JJ
    HF: Bonts Naughton Macrae
    F: B. Smith Bruce Weightman
    R: Martin Libba Treloar

3:

C: Hunter Treloar JJ
    HF: Treloar Naughton Dunkley
    F: Wallis Bruce Weightman
    R: English Macrae B. Smith
    I: Libba

4:

C: Hunter Libba JJ
    HF: Treloar Naughton Dale
    F: Bonts Bruce Wallis
    R: English B. Smith Dunkley
    I: Macrae

5:

C: Hunter Bonts B. Smith
    HF: Macrae Naughton Dunkley
    F: Weightman English Wallis
    R: Martin Libba Treloar
    I: JJ

6:

C: Treloar B. Smith JJ
    HF: Macrae Naughton Weightman
    F: Dale Bruce Wallis
    R: Martin Bonts Dunkley
    I: Hunter, Libba, English

Apart from planned 'unpredictability' to make the opposition guess what's going to happen. I see that it makes it kind of hard to manage lockdown roles on a set player, unless they're going to run with a player of ours no matter where they line up from goal to goal. If say Bonts stays a few out with the best tagger/lockdown player, does that then allow Treloar, Macrae, Smith, Dunkley, Libba more room and a little more freedom. Or does the opposition best lockdown always attend the centre square and leave say Bonts, Smith & Dunkley to hit the scoreboard and offer us something else up forward?

Also, if we have a squad of midfielders in the 22 that are on a faster rotation gameplan, then that's us. Bonts spends some time out, Treloar spends some time out and DUNKLEY can spend some time out. None should sook. By batting deep and rotating always, opportunities will present in the midfield, on wings and up forward to impact the game. With two rucks, they also shouldn't be rucking. It's not about how many midfield minutes. They'll all get good minutes. It's about exploiting and stretching the opposition down to breaking points. I doubt many teams can cover such rotations of gun players who can also do well in other areas of the ground. If all the guys buy in, that it's not about one 'bull' dragging the 21 others along, then we should be able to generate frequent mismatches with the goal of exploiting. If we can and if we do, I'm looking forward to us doing it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

3. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd add another variable into the mix, with Daniel pressing up to the wing and half forward for one to two rotations. It changes the midfield and half forward mix, brings some creativity into the blend and also frees him up if he's being sat on or dragged back/ isolated like he was at times this year.

Teams will try and replicate what Geary did to him, and that's cool. We need to counter that by unsettling those plans with a more diverse overall strategy that already includes Caleb playing in different positions on the ground in short bursts - rather than it being a reactive tactical change.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'd add another variable into the mix, with Daniel pressing up to the wing and half forward for one to two rotations. It changes the midfield and half forward mix, brings some creativity into the blend and also frees him up if he's being sat on or dragged back/ isolated like he was at times this year.

Teams will try and replicate what Geary did to him, and that's cool. We need to counter that by unsettling those plans with a more diverse overall strategy that already includes Caleb playing in different positions on the ground in short bursts - rather than it being a reactive tactical change.
    He did look good up around the ball and forward in bursts during the last two rounds and then the finals. Perhaps that’s just because we needed someone lower to the ground with a bit more agility and creativity but you could certainly tell when he was around the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Even better. Rotate some genuine leg speed with him. Treloar or Smith occasionally attacking towards the centre. Hawks used Burgoyne as the good ball user who could go into the centre, as you say with Caleb. We could rotate Caleb in, put Treloar to the back flank and show Smith in the forward pocket with his brute force, speed and X factor. All without a gun midfield. Bevo better have a great plan with what he now has.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Even better. Rotate some genuine leg speed with him. Treloar or Smith occasionally attacking towards the centre. Hawks used Burgoyne as the good ball user who could go into the centre, as you say with Caleb. We could rotate Caleb in, put Treloar to the back flank and show Smith in the forward pocket with his brute force, speed and X factor. All without a gun midfield. Bevo better have a great plan with what he now has.
    Burgoyne was/ is a freak. I still remember the Hawks coast to coast goal in the semi final that saw him just tap the ball seventy five metres from inside the centre square near the circle to the goal square. He's actually a player type we don't have, some good footy by both sides played that night. Underrated game.

8. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Burgoyne was/ is a freak. I still remember the Hawks coast to coast goal in the semi final that saw him just tap the ball seventy five metres from inside the centre square near the circle to the goal square. He's actually a player type we don't have, some good footy by both sides played that night. Underrated game.
    Agree. The Prelim comeback in the Michael Jordan of the final series. But the comeback when Bruest missed that easy goal was the Scotty Pippen of the final series comebacks. It won't get the plaudits of the footy public like Jordan, but the folks who watched know how good it was (with or without public plaudits).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Agree. The Prelim comeback in the Michael Jordan of the final series. But the comeback when Bruest missed that easy goal was the Scotty Pippen of the final series comebacks. It won't get the plaudits of the footy public like Jordan, but the folks who watched know how good it was (with or without public plaudits).
    Yep. We had the perfect opportunity to roll over that night, and coming from four goals down was massive.

Post Thanks / Like

My Team

B: Bailey Williams, Ryan Gardner, Caleb Daniel

HB: Adam Treloar Alex Keath, Duryea
    C: Bailey Dale, Tom Liberatore, Lachie Hunter
    HF: Bailey Smith, Aaron Naughton, Vandermeer,
    F: Tim English, Josh Bruce, Lachie McNeil
    Foll: Stefan Martin, Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli
    Int: Mitch Wallis, Josh Dunkley, Pat Lipinski, Rhylee West

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    My Team

Hi BAD, agree with team but have Scott in somewhere for McNeil at this stage of the season

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    My Team

Where did you lift that off? Clearly you typed Duryea and Vandermeer over other names and didn't add their first names
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Where did you lift that off? Clearly you typed Duryea and Vandermeer over other names and didn't add their first names
    I took our team that played the weekend and made adjustments

16. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post