Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  49
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: North Melbourne where are they at?

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    There's a reason for that though.

He's taken his AFL licks and overseen a pretty successful state league club and his players love him.

Sure he gets tossed around when this discussion is had, but he makes way more sense than a lot of other names.

North clearly need an experienced and strong coach now.
    He is literally a man of all season on the hair front as well. The highlight of a massive bender I had in which Port Melbourne featured in the Saturday game after no sleep left me and my colleagues completely consumed by how amazing his hair was. For that alone he's exactly what North Melbourne need.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He is literally a man of all season on the hair front as well. The highlight of a massive bender I had in which Port Melbourne featured in the Saturday game after no sleep left me and my colleagues completely consumed by how amazing his hair was. For that alone he's exactly what North Melbourne need.
    Impossible to argue with. He should bring back the mullet.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Ayres is an interesting call. They can’t go young, you’d think, and it’s the kind of job you’d take as your one and only shot or last shot (unless you don’t want to ruin a legacy).

Ayres fits the bill.

4. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Malthouse is actually even more irrelevant than the North Melbourne Football Club.

Post Thanks / Like

Getting Roos in as a mentor as well to me is the wrong thing. I can't stand Mr Love myself, thinks he is the greatest coach of all time.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Getting Roos in as a mentor as well to me is the wrong thing. I can't stand Mr Love myself, thinks he is the greatest coach of all time.
    I don't feel as strongly about Roos as that but agree it's a poor idea.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yep agree - huge ego - I suspect that the success at Sydney was more a function of those around him (Longmire, Blakey, Stone etc) keeping his ego in check

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He will be discussed, I don't think it will be a long discussion though
    Why would he be discussed? He destroyed his previous club, and has not coached since. He has never worked as an assistant coach. There are 20-30 candidates with better credentials. He has no affiliation with North Melbourne, or the modern game.

12. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Why would he be discussed? He destroyed his previous club, and has not coached since. He has never worked as an assistant coach. There are 20-30 candidates with better credentials. He has no affiliation with North Melbourne, or the modern game.
    Perhaps they won't but I suspect they will cast a wide net his name might be mentioned
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I'm not sure you can presume that they got this very wrong. Shaw was universally loved by the football world for a while there for reinvigorating the roos. He was like breath of fresh air, the players believed in him and they were soaring , chock full of fresh talent and smart recruiting moves (Higgins for example). 6 months ago he was doing great.
    I think we can presume they got it VERY wrong.

1/. Scott told them they needed a rebuild. The board disagreed...and so did popular assistant coach Shaw.
    2/. Despite a lack of experience and having NEVER run his own program at any level, Shaw was appointed on the back of good player relationships and some good results over a 2-month period...he got a two month audition playing to win every week with a bunch of players rejuvenated by the exit of Scott and his controlling style.

Whatever you think of Brad Scott, he is/was a professional coach who won a lot of games and understands AFL footy - assistant at multiple clubs in various roles + went off and got his MBA. He was also blue and white thru and thru and if he said "we need to rebuild" then I am pretty sure the board needed to listen. They didn't. They opened door "B" with the promise of a turnaround with everyone pulling behind a young and enthusiastic coach. They didn't add much support to the coaching panel and appointed a brand new footy manager.

They haver roundly stuffed this up and a little bit of "war rooming" at board level would have shown this up...they chose to look on the sunny side and they have gotten what they have got. To add to everything else, they are financially dependent on the AFL and vulnerable to a move to Tassy...and they 100% must have known that as well!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

So MJP, what options do you think they should be looking at now?

A proven coach in waiting with senior experience like Voss, Williams, Lyon or Sanderson?
    Or do they go for someone new like Montgomery or even the likes of Sumich or Ayers?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

A proven coach in waiting with senior experience like Voss, Williams, Lyon or Sanderson?
    Or do they go for someone new like Montgomery or even the likes of Sumich or Ayers?
    Ayres is a proven coach In AFL and VFL.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know who would be interested.

If it was me, I would be "open to offers" but prejudicial towards a Hinkley "type" - someone who had been in the system and highly regarded for a long time...but had finished 2nd in a number of previous applications. Or, someone who had been spat out of the system due to taking a job at "the wrong club" and, well, is looking for redemption.

The first type mirrors the sort of coach who turned it around for North ahead of their last successful era - Pagan. I guess if it was me, that's where I would be looking...and yes, that person might be in the VFL/SANFL/WAFL whatever. Coaches can coach. Someone who has been in it for a long time and understands that the greatest game plan in the world is a CONSISTENT game plan that all of the players understand and effort needs to be a non-negotiable.

I don't think North are really in that bad a position in many ways (zero expectation, supporters just need a glimmer to be on board!) and could turn it around relatively quickly.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

18. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Laughed when I saw this thread.
    This is how genteel the good posters of Woof are. They spend time trying to analyse the problems at other clubs.!!

The Roos cut a ton of players. Who is going to want to go there?

Dunno but they were super super generous to me when I was trying to get free tickets out of clubs
    for AMES students and international students. Have a soft spot for the Roos. They are not a bad club, supporters are decent.

Maybe they can snag some Essendon players, who knows.
    Everyone loved to see Bret Ratten out there again, a new man. Might start a new trend of second chances.
    Go Rocket Eade.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

20. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Go a Brendan Bolton type, young blood full of energy, to get them through 5 years at the bottom then get someone good
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff