Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doogs

bresker Guest

Doogs

Am I missing something or have West Coast traded him way under the odds?

Training is not the same as match conditions, but from what I've seen so far we've picked up a bargain.

He's tall with a long reach; is quick for a big guy; seems to be able to work his opponent around by drifting up the ground and to the flanks; leads and presents well; is well physically developed and isn't afraid of taking a pack mark.

Even if he gets his hands to the ball like Adam Morgan was doing he'll be worth something, but I think he's capable of far more.

I'm not going to carried away until I've seen him doing something in a real match, but at the moment I'm more exicted about Doogs arrival than Darcy's return.

Has anyone got any feedback on his goalkicking? I haven't seen him take many set shots yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Doogs

Quote Originally Posted by bresker View Post

Training is not the same as match conditions, but from what I've seen so far we've picked up a bargain.

He's tall with a long reach; is quick for a big guy; seems to be able to work his opponent around by drifting up the ground and to the flanks; leads and presents well; is well physically developed and isn't afraid of taking a pack mark.

Even if he gets his hands to the ball like Adam Morgan was doing he'll be worth something, but I think he's capable of far more.

I'm not going to carried away until I've seen him doing something in a real match, but at the moment I'm more exicted about Doogs arrival than Darcy's return.

Has anyone got any feedback on his goalkicking? I haven't seen him take many set shots yet.
    What the Eagles did is facilitate a trade for a player that they didn't want so that he could go to a team that should be able to use his services.

Basically the Eagles knew that they couldn't get a 2nd reound draft pick for Doogs given the strength of the draft so decided to upgrade a couple of selections.
    They were probably going to delist him anyway.

As for his goal kicking, it's not something that I have seen him working on. I doubt it is a real strength of his though. When he is in form he is a fine contested mark and that is how I think we intend to use him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bresker View Post

From What I've gathered from readings on BF, his biggest problem at West Coast was his attitude, he'd made it clear that football wasn't his number 1 priority, and that he wasn't enjoying himself in Perth.

I've only been to one training session this year, but it happened to be the one where Doogs and Mitch were doing stair runs next to us. The thing that stuck out for me is even doing the menial stuff, he looked happy to be here. Perhaps he's turned a corner mentally and playing good footy has moved up on his list of priorities. If that's happened, he'll be a fine acquisition.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, some eagles on BF claim he has trained the house down in previous seasons then failed to deliver.

Who knows? Hopefully with a change of scenery, club and coach, plus being a year older will result in him playing to his potential at last.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    FWIW, some eagles on BF claim he has trained the house down in previous seasons then failed to deliver.

They would say that though, wouldnt they?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Who knows? Hopefully with a change of scenery, club and coach, plus being a year older will result in him playing to his potential at last.
    You know what they say - A change is as good as a holiday! He just might prove a few people wrong and be a perfect fit at the Dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    You posted somewhere else that McD has been training at FF - makes me wonder what Eade's plans are for darcy.

Hard Ball Get Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    They were saying that before he was traded though.
    As soon as his name went up these things were being said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hard Ball Get View Post
    True.

Also interesting that there are some staunch WCE defenders of him too who reckon he will be a player.

Hard Ball Get Guest

True.

Also interesting that there are some staunch WCE defenders of him too who reckon he will be a player.
    Exactly.
    There were people who were passionate on both sides.
    I'm quite happy to have him down and I think that maybe a change might do him some good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hard Ball Get View Post
    Yes he had both supporters and knockers while he was at West Coast and I doubt that will go away anytime soon until he puts up some consistent games for us. He is the real wild card for our team as far as I am concerned.

Post Thanks / Like

The beauty of the McDougall deal is that all we really gave up to get him was a spot on the list, and slightly downgraded draft picks, which were still used as intended by Scott Clayton. We can afford for Doogs to be a wildcard/speculator in some ways. All we gave up for Doogs is Adam Morgan, who, since he was delisted, was finished at the club anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Eade has succeeded in getting most of our players to improve, and gave non-triers like Bowden and Rawlings the arse.

Perhaps McDougall will be one of the toughest projects for Eade, but if he really succeeds then it will be the trade of the year.

Post Thanks / Like

It's horses for courses. Some players fare better in different teams for a variety of different reasons.

I know the West Coast supporters on BF seem to take great delight in knocking Doogs. He may just not have fitted in & with the improvement over there of Quentin Lynch, he struggled.

In some ways Patrick Bowden found a spot & slotted in perfectly at Richmond, tho with Lindsay Gilbee at the Bulldogs Bowden was never going to be able to play that same role with us, as I say, horses for courses.

If Doogs doesn't measure up then it's his own fault & we haven't really lost too much (as was pointed out earlier, we just dropped back a few picks in R2 & 4 of the draft & still got who we watnted anyway). The upside tho if he clicks is that it gives us just so much more flexibility.

Be very interesting to see how both he & Polak (DR's love child) fare in different environments.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Polak (DR's love child)
    I call him Graeme

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.