Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How many Dogs players (and other teams' AFL players) were good at basketball?

IIRC Westie was a gun basketball player, and that translated into various high level AFL skills. Bont too?

How many Dogs players (and other teams' AFL players) were good at basketball? And does it help them with AFL?

I have a reason for asking this, to be revealed later in the thread.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many Dogs players (and other teams' AFL players) were good at basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    How many Dogs players (and other teams' AFL players) were good at basketball? And does it help them with AFL?
    I think I might have heard somewhere that, and correct me if I'm wrong, Scott Pendlebury might have played basketball as a junior.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

3. Thanks SonofScray, jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes Daughter of the West liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many Dogs players (and other teams' AFL players) were good at basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I think I might have heard somewhere that, and correct me if I'm wrong, Scott Pendlebury might have played basketball as a junior.
    Don't think so. Seems like something that would have been mentioned.

Weird that Mason Cox, being American and so tall, never played basketball.
    "It's over. It's all over."

5. Likes Sedat, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So does a basketball background help with playing AFL?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Pendlebury was kind of Patty Mills contemporary and had an AIS scholarship offer IIRC

Tony Shaw was a state basketballer, Scott West very good, and I believe Brian Taylor was good also

In more recent times Petracca was v.good - Jack Watts was a star junior

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if Petracca knows Ben Simmons?

9. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Terry Wallace played
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Terry Wallace played
    Paul Roos too from that era.

Marcus Bontempelli and Hugh Greenwood.

Matthew Dellavedova went the other way.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I asked: I happened to have a chat with someone last week who is familiar with our first year draft pick JUH.

Said he is a really gun basketballer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    The reason I asked: I happened to have a chat with someone last week who is familiar with our first year draft pick JUH.

Said he is a really gun basketballer.
    I wouldn't be surprised, he seems like the sort of kid who's good at all sports. But I can only find where he's played basketball with a country team called Terang Tornadoes but then he's said he plays to stay in condition for footy. Can't see where he's played any elite/representative level basketball so he either doesn't take it that seriously or isn't an out and out gun.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised, he seems like the sort of kid who's good at all sports. But I can only find where he's played basketball with a country team called Terang Tornadoes but then he's said he plays to stay in condition for footy. Can't see where he's played any elite/representative level basketball so he either doesn't take it that seriously or isn't an out and out gun.
    Dunno what level of basketball JUH played, FWIW the guy just said he was very good at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Dean Brogan played for the Adelaide 36'rs and Port Adelaide.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Basketball is one of the least appealing sports for me. I hated playing, despite being reasonably tall. Used to get fouled out all the time for trying to take hangers and hip and shouldering blokes. Guys with a good BB background do seem to get good at hanging onto the footy in tight quarters and keeping the ball in positions where it can be used.

Post Thanks / Like

There was a clip of Bont playing with (Jarryd) Roughy and Pendles that got uploaded somewhere a while back and obviously Bont looked insane. Bailey Smith can dunk and has a smooth release on his jumper per his IG.

I love seeing players from one sport play a different sport. It's like watching a dog skateboard.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

18. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was in the AIS as an under 18 basketballer, but decided to come back to Vic and play Footy
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Likes azabob liked this post