Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

A Blast from the Past - Stephen Power

From a young age being a Footscray and now Western Bulldogs supporter was just a way of life for me
    I've mentioned previously that supporting another team was just not an option as my grandparents would never allow it. Over the years I guess I've seen more losses than wins but the one thing that I started doing from a young age and that I still enjoy today is watching and analyzing many different players.
    They don't necessarily have to be the best of the best for me to really appreciate what they brought to our team

Easty asked the other week about Templeton and I will eventually get to him but I wanted to kick start this thread about a player many of you might not have heard too much about. I will try and talk about a player or two each week
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Blast from the Past

Stephen Power

Facts:

Recruited from St Kevins College
    He finished second, behind Gary Dempsey, in Footscray's 1974 best and fairest awards.
    Born: October 7, 1950
    Height: 5'10" (179cm)
    Weight: 176 (80kg)
    Career: 1969-1979
    Games played: 177
    Goals: 25

Stephen Power was one of the first players I really studied as a youngster. He was a quick mover and a steady kick but the one thing that I really admired about him was his ability to go hard at a contest, cop a knock, get back up and just go on with things. It was a real inspirational and courageous quality that I would later grow to admire from the likes to Tony Liberatore and a few others. He had that really defensive mindset but could also turn a game on it's head by taking it on. There were always stories on how they would patch or stitch him up at half time and just send him out there again. He was as tough as nails

Power was a winger and a half back flanker capable of playing on taller opponents. He could take a good grab and also get the ball moving with his pace. He was a one club player who was with us for 10 years. In 1974 he finished 2nd to the great Gary Dempsey in our clubs best and fairest which as a tremendous achievement,

On a Thursday night I would patiently wait for the League Teams show or listen to the radio for updates on this weeks team and would invariably hear a Bulldogs centre line of Power, McGee and Thorpe get called out.

Stephen Power was a player I tried (unsuccessfully mind you) to copy my footy game on. He wasn't the classiest of players but I really admired his ability to make a difference to the side with a courageous act.

If anyone remembers much about him I'd appreciate to hear your thoughts

3. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes Jeanette54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Blast from the Past - Stephen Power

Good honest hard working player who was always one of the first named.
    Just lacked that tiny bit more of talent to be a star.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Great interview on the 'two dogs' podcast with Steve and Gordon Casey.

6. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing I liked about Power was his consistency too. Every week you knew what you were going to get. I think he played his best footy when Bob Rose was coach. Well actually the team improved a lot when Bob came over from Collingwood so that probably is the reason. It is a long time ago but I have a feeling he played for the Vics too. One of my favourites too.

8. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you liken him to any current day player or recent player?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Can you liken him to any current day player or recent player?
    Wow that is not that easy. He was a tough bugger. I have put some thought into it and I would say similar traits to Matty Boyd when he played half back. That is probably the closest Aza to me anyhow. Others might have different views.

11. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This sounds like a great initiative.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Wow that is not that easy. He was a tough bugger. I have put some thought into it and I would say similar traits to Matty Boyd when he played half back. That is probably the closest Aza to me anyhow. Others might have different views.
    All I remember about him was he was super fast and had a nickname of racehorse. I think young Vander plays a similar sort of style?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    It is a hard comparison and I don't mind the Boyd one but physically he was more wiry and athletically a bit more gifted than Boyd
    I don't want to criticise Power at all but I feel Boyd was the smarter player. They probably rate closely as being tough players

15. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    All I remember about him was he was super fast and had a nickname of racehorse. I think young Vander plays a similar sort of style?
    Power was more robust compared to Vander....at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Power came to Yarraville footy club in the VFA in 1980 after he finished at Footscray. There was a lot of excitement about his recruitment but did his knee after playing just a few games.

A couple of years ago he was the barista at Medway golf club I'm not sure if he is still there or not. Apparently he is a fairly good golfer.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Power came to Yarraville footy club in the VFA in 1980 after he finished at Footscray. There was a lot of excitement about his recruitment but did his knee after playing just a few games.

A couple of years ago he was the barista at Medway golf club I'm not sure if he is still there or not. Apparently he is a fairly good golfer.
    What about his coffee making skills though?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    What about his coffee making skills though?
    The quote on the Yarraville Footy Club page is "makes a great cup of coffee"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

20. Likes azabob liked this post