I was watching the NBA Finals today which saw LeBron James win his 4th NBA title and cement himself as perhaps the 2nd greatest player of all time, or perhaps the greatest in the eyes of some. But it was something in his postmatch speech that got me thinking. He spoke about his decision some 10 years ago to leave the Cleveland Cavaliers to join the Miami Heat. He said he did it so he could push himself harder to go to the next level. To become more competitive by playing with the best. This got me thinking. What does it take to become the best? MJP started a similar thread to this but LeBrons speech was interesting. Bare with me.

For those who don't know, LeBron was always highly touted as a generational talent when he was playing high school. He was no standard no 1 pick. This guy was always thought to become one of the greatest to ever play the game. His physical dominance and talent was like nothing seen since MJ or Kobe. So he gets drafted no 1. No surprises there. Interestingly he gets drafted to his "hometown" team the Cleveland Cavaliers. It's the perfect story. He has success early and his first NBA Finals sees his team get swept by the veteran San Antonio Spurs 4-0. Everyone thinks this is just the beginning for LeBron. His time will come soon. But it didn't. The Cavaliers failed to make the finals for the next 3 seasons and somewhat underachieved. Was it LeBron? Or was it the fact that he had a weak supporting cast (which he indeed did)? So LeBron comes out of contract in 2010. Does he leave his hometown team to go to a big market team? He decided to leave and join the Miami Heat to play alongside 2 other superstars in Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh. The rest is history. He wins 2 titles in 4 seasons and launches his path to greatness.

After failing to win 3 in a row at Miami, LeBron decides to return to Cleveland to help them find their first ever championship. This time, Cleveland has a much better supporting cast. His greatest accomplishment arrives (coincidentally) in 2016. The Cavaliers are down 3-1 in the NBA Finals to the greatest regular season team of all time in the Golden State Warriors. No team has ever overcome a 3-1 deficit. But they do. LeBron does the impossible and leads Cleveland to it's first ever championship. His legacy is set and the win sees him elevated in the eyes of many as one of the greatest of all time.

Fast forward to the present day and LeBron has just won his 4th title with the help of another superstar beside him in the superteam era of the NBA. But to get back to the original topic. What does it take to be great? LeBron, arguably the 2nd greatest if not greatest player in the NBA, had to join 2 other superstars to "learn" to be great. To push himself harder with the best. But who are these individuals who are 'great' in the first place? Jordan never had to leave and play with Magic Johnson to accomplish greatness. He just had a better supporting cast than LeBron. Did LeBron have to play with other "greats" to become what he is today? It's a bit chicken and egg but you have to wonder what LeBron would be today if he had always stayed in Cleveland.