Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  62
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Random Bulldog memories, impressions or images that stick.

Some of my memories/images from 'off' the field...

Sliding down the embankment behind the Cross Street goals on old cardboard boxes when it was wet and slippery after a game

Going to the Whitten Oval on a Sunday (following a game with an uncle who was a committee member), and playing on a construction site that eventually became the EJ Whitten Stand

Going with the same uncle to watch games in the Latrobe Valley where he was 'scouting' for players when the LV was our country recruiting zone

Asking people in the crowd for their empty soft drink bottles at half time and collecting the proceeds for 2 pennies (I think 2 pence was the going rate in the late '60s/early 70s)

Visiting my aunt who was part of the 'ladies' committee at half time in the John Gent stand for sandwiches

Going to Charlie Sutton's pub in Whitehall St Yarraville (Commercial) with my dad after he took me to Footscray Library on a Friday night. Eventually I was banned as the men in the bar were uncomfortable with a kid unnecessarily hearing the odd swear word (which I would never have noticed since I was too engrossed with my glass of raspberry lemonade!)
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Tom Liberatore's dance when the siren went in the 2016 preliminary final.

The egg above Tony Liberatore's eye after his last game against Norf in 2002.

Scott Wynd convulsing in the middle of the ground after getting cleaned up by Justin Madden (think it was him) after a ruck contest at Prince's Park. Madden didn't bother going for the ball, just ran through the centre square and elbowed Wynd.

Brad Johnson kicking the ball in mid air from the boundary at Kardinia Park and it going through for a goal.

Garry Merrington (?) running down the ground and taking one too many bounces only for the ball to bounce back over his head into the lap of Peter Hudson who turned around and dobbed a goal off one step.

Bernie Quinlan taking a mark with his arms around the goalposts

Richard Osborne kicking a goal at the Geelong Rd end from alongside the visitors race. Chris Grant once told me it was the best goal he ever saw.

Terry Wheeler cleaning up Jezza with a hip and shoulder the year Jezza had taken over as captain coach of Carlton. We were 5 goals behind at the time (just before half time) Percy Jones stood in as coach and we won by 5 goals.

The bluecoat holding up the little league behind post after Peter Foster broke the proper one.

The look on the face of the bloke who was about to thump me in front of the scoreboard when my cousin Bear picked him up from behind and held him in midair before throwing him over his shoulder.

The sight of Bluey Hampshire's fist pumping the air as he disappeared down the race after we knocked off Hawthorn in a huge upset in 1982 at Whitten oval.
    That was Peter Welsh who had the misfortune of the ball bouncing over his shoulder.

3. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsfight View Post
    I Remember a wedding after a game on the ground I think it eas late eighties
    The record score 1978
    My first game 1961 getting the bus from Brooklyn migrant hostel ; we thrashed south
    Walking over the bridge at west Footscray railway station
    The old shed at Barkly st end
    Last game v weaglesl

Losing to Fitzroy in after they had loss about 20 in a row about 1963
    The tv cameras set up next to whitten stand
    I have a vague memory of marching girls

The long train ride home to ripponlea usually after a loss
    When did that stand get pulled down? Was that the one known as the 'cow shed'?

Post Thanks / Like

The Women's Circus in the mid-90s. There were all sorts of exotic types in spandex running around for no apparent reason!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The Women's Circus in the mid-90s. There were all sorts of exotic types in spandex running around for no apparent reason!
    It's still there in the drill she'd.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

It's still there in the drill she'd.
    Awesome!

What a shock on a winter's afternoon for an eastern suburbs boy making a rare trek to the WO! A circus to me at that time had nothing to do with women expressing themselves, rather, they were all about Silvers and their questionable attitudes towards animals and people, and a feeling of privilege through being able to afford the Rye carnival a few nights a year!

9. Likes Twodogs, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsfight View Post
    I think it was don McKenzie who got bottles thrown at him
    Not the footscray don McKenzie the Essendon ruck
    Yep remember that too. McKenzie was a thug.

11. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Richard Osborne kicking a goal at the Geelong Rd end from alongside the visitors race. Chris Grant once told me it was the best goal he ever saw.
    It was the Bulldogs player's race and it was the Barkley St end. I used to stand on the concrete wall edge on the side of the Bulldog player race so Ossy started his run up just in front of us. He was just about inside the race when he started his run up.

I was able to be head-high with the adults standing on that bit. It was a goldmine for crowd banter.

I also remember someone once mouthing off to Billy Kolyniuk and inside the race, away from prying umpire & camera eyes, Billy gave the opposition player a bitchslap to the cheek that was so loud it seemed to echo off the front of the EJ Whitten stand. Fortunate little boundary throw in that one.

PS - it was Galaxy Coleman who broke the post, not Foster.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

13. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was that Richard Osbourne goal a massive spiral? If so, it was to the Barkley Street end.

15. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll always remember Gloves Campbell keeping (then St Kildas player) Plugger goalless in a half, and as he walked through the player's race someone screamed out "You're killing him ya big poof!"

For some reason, I always remember Bazza Stanfield running back with the flight of the ball and sticking one hand out as he tripped and marking the ball as players were running towards it. He could have been absolutely smashed but he never took his eyes off the ball.

Jason Watts kicking a running goal in the dying stages of a match against Fremantle.

The random Sydney supporter at the Save Footscray rally getting up on stage and screaming "they did it to us, don't let them do it to you!"

Justin Charles on the bench standing up and waving his arms around at the coaches box, desperate to get back on the ground.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Great memories guys and gals. Its great to read them. Three more from me.
    Bob under the ball from a desperate late game rally from the Hawks, on Breust but with Sicily (?)out the back.
    I see Breust breast Bob, both hands fisted into Bob's jumper yet eyes on the ball. He stops Bob from marking withstrength, Bob struggles to free himself, stop the goal, Bob is retarded off balanced does his knee. This image burns.
    Terry Wheeler lining up Cowboy Neale who is charging down Hawkins Wing, 100% committed shirt front bounces off Neale who keeps going as if nothing happened.
    Noel Teasdale with his big forehead guard assaulting our player called Gray or Grey and ending his career.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Bob under the ball from a desperate late game rally from the Hawks, on Breust but with Sicily (?)out the back.
    I see Breust breast Bob, both hands fisted into Bob's jumper yet eyes on the ball. He stops Bob from marking withstrength, Bob struggles to free himself, stop the goal, Bob is retarded off balanced does his knee. This image burns.
    * I remember this clearly as well as it was my 60th Birthday and I was at the footy with a Hawks mate.

* Also remember Bob doing his knee the first time when he was tackled by Rocca.

* To add to the ACL's - Clay doing his knee for the 3rd time - I almost cried.

* Barry Hall putting the headlock on.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Great memories guys and gals. Its great to read them. Three more from me.
    I vividly remember us all standing there after that game just staring at the Hawthorn players hen a friend of mine groaned and yelled "will this club ever take a trick?" (there might have been a couple of swear words in there too).

i texted when the siren blew on GF day to say that it wasn't a bad trick!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

20. Likes WBFC4FFC, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Was that Richard Osbourne goal a massive spiral? If so, it was to the Barkley Street end.
    I remember that. Anyone have a video of that goal?

Another great goal was by Matthew Campbell of the Bears, last round in 1992 at the Geelong Rd end. Torpedo from well inside the Centre Square (directly infront). Had to have travelled ~80 metres. The goal umpire did not move as it sailed directly over his head. The 20,000-plus crowd gave it a warm round of applause.

Post Thanks / Like

Last practice match. It was Murph's first year. He wasn't playing but standing near me on the Grandstand size. Next minute he has a microphone in his hand and he starts to commentate on the game. I thought to myself who is this kid. Lot of laughs from other supporters too. Not surprised he has a media career.