Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  142
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Finals Footy - the Prelims and Grand Final Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Ahh Danger, even when he's hurtin' he knows where the cameras are.

This loss was brought to you by Swisse.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes azabob, Dry Rot, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    It's become such a time honoured tradition Geelong might like to give serious consideration to adapting this as their new logo.

If only there was someone who could immortalise this with some type of image manipulation program.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    They are better now for sure. In the age of equalisation it's amazing there can be an outlier of this magnitude. Really it was just one bad game from 4 on the trot. I think off field spend must have something to do with it. An incredible run with injuries too. Oh and that Martin guy.
    The balance of the team has to be right for sustained winning. Geelong last night fielded 11 players with over 150 games and average games overall of 160. They only had two players with less than 50 games. Richmond have had a very balanced team over the past 4 years, but they are starting to get up there with average games (120, with 9 over 150). They have done well with bringing in players to replace those leaving.

If you look at us this year in the finals, we had 3 players with more than 150 games, but we are balanced in the 50 to 150 area. What we lack is the few key players to balance things out. Our GF winning team was unusual as we were one of the youngest to ever win, Essendon being the youngest, however, that doesn't mean young = sustained success. Like Essendon of 1993, we have failed to make another GF. Why? Because the players we lost, were key players that were hard to replace. Senior players leaving and not being replaced by the same type puts pressure on young guys to perform every week.

Overall, Tigers have been able to balance the team, play like a team. They don't have too many A graders, but they do have role players that do their job. Geelong on the other hand are about to have some big holes to fill with so many players in their 30s.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost, DOG GOD, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    The kick into the goal square in the last quarter was genius.
    The purchase he was able to get on it when laying it on the outside of the boot was next level good. If left it would've landed a couple of metres out and gone through from outside 50m.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Dusty stole Danger’s soul at the end.

The ragtag quiet achiever vs the polished corporate shill.

You love to see it.
    If I could love this post 1,000 times I would. Just a note-perfect encapsulation of Dusty v Danger
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

So what are the thoughts about a night grand final? Personally I found it just like another Saturday night game. I really hope it’s a one off. Thoughts?
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    So what are the thoughts about a night grand final? Personally I found it just like another Saturday night game. I really hope it’s a one off. Thoughts?
    It really doesn't suit families with kids, especially since it doesn't finish till so late with presentations etc. Plus many people like to go out and celebrate afterwards at restaurants, but that wouldn't happen with a night GF.

If they had to change, a 4.30pm start would be all I would be prepared to agree with.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes Sedat, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It really doesn't suit families with kids, especially since it doesn't finish till so late with presentations etc. Plus many people like to go out and celebrate afterwards at restaurants, but that wouldn't happen with a night GF.

If they had to change, a 4.30pm start would be all I would be prepared to agree with.
    Agreed. I prefer the day GF but if a change has to be made, twilight would be more palatable and also gives the theatre goers and corporate suits their garbage fireworks display for half time.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    As a spectacle it's possibly slightly cooler with the extra lighting stuff you can do in the nighttime, but in every other sense I do not see the benefit and think it is worse.

From a football sense no different.

From a neutral fan perspective it is different but not necessarily better or worse. I do like it being a day game because it is usually the first big group BBQ you have leading into summer and I like the way it gives a random usually sunny Saturday some meaning. Love going out for a kick at halftime/after the game in the sun. Nighttime means you are much more beholden to the broadcast and the entertainment (and ads) it provides. I don't like that as much.

On the entertainment yes bands look better at night but I'm not sure that's at all a compelling reason to change the timeslot, especially when the calibre of bands we get for it are Sheppard (yuck).

In terms of placement in the day I don't like it, way too much dead time beforehand and no time to savour it afterwards. I like the day time games ability to provide the 2 hours after the match at the ground to soak it up and still provide you with hours to go out celebrating. Nighttime grand final means that by the time the ceremony and victory lap are over it's nearly midnight.

Also I assume shocking for kids, I've read a few twitter posts saying after being super excited all day peoples kids were falling asleep in the third quarter.

I'd be strongly against another night grand final, I just think the only benefit is from a TV/entertainment looking slightly cooler perspective. Imo it would be a change to the detriment of the wider footballing public for the sake of grabbing a few extra rating points, and I guess that is a price the AFL would be willing to pay where I would not.

I am very much expecting a twilight Grand Final next, which I guess is an okish compromise but I'd really just prefer it to stay a daytime thing.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

13. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    So true. I went through their list during the week and it's all pretty much amazing work at the draft table. Caddy is another they traded for but he can't even get a gig now. Liam Baker for example was over looked by everyone and rookie drafted by the Tigers, Bolton was a mid second rounder in 2016
    (29) as was Balta who was their second pick (25) after the 2017 flag. That pick went from GWS to Essendon as part of the Devon Smith trade, then to Dogs as part of Stringer deal, then to Lions for Schache, before finally ending up with the Tigers who swapped 15 and 52 for 20 and 25.
    So we kind of swapped Balta for Schache. My recollection is the Tigers had some interest in Schache but cooled on him and I can only think they decided on Balta.
    Thanks for brilliant analysis
    Baker is tough as nails , and he hates get beaten 1 on 1. A good kick and very well balanced . Hardly see him lose his feet
    Balta is a gem. Powerful, quick , good overhead mark, good kick and plays multiple positions. I hope Scache had a look and see the standards he needs to get to.

I love how Essendon gained smith and lost out on Balta. Houli leaving them. The people who leave Essendon seem to prosper ... I could add melksham and Ryder to that list

Dion prestia , 3 premierships. Gws zero and going south .

2019 tigers won the vfl premiership . They have good depth
    Caddy is a tough nut and just knows how to find the ball, not overall quick

Broad has been a good pickup , 2015 draft number 67 ! From swan districts. For some reason I thought he came from williamstown

There seems to be more upside with many of their players. Shai bolton is a class above and just seems to know how to read the ball ahead of the game.

Lambert is really under rated and he kicked some crucial goals yesterday

Incredible that Bolton, baker and Pickett have played less than 30 games and now have 2 premierships.

Happy for the Long term players on the list : Edward and astbury who were there before hardwick

Tigers have recruited and developed their players very well . Also I think they have cut their list deep enough to keep all players competing. Kinda ironic Geelong have gone the other way and seem to attract players to come to them . GEELONG may have a big GAP when their over 30s players begin to retire.

15. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Geelong won in 2011 - Scott's first year. Since then they have played in the finals just about every year, I think, but have not added to their silverware. Questions need to be asked. They have a serious home ground advantage. Has this masked some of the deficiencies of Scott as coach? Why did he start Dangerfield deep forward in the second half and leave him there when it was obvious that Richmond were winning contested ball and surging. What's wrong with Hawkins as a target? Radegolea would have been a handy player in the ruck and up forward especially as Volustin had been elbowed out of the game. Was he available for selection? If I was a Geelong supporter I would be very disappointed over the years since 2011.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

17. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever the time slot if we can dispense with the tedious, piped-in, post-goal doof-doof that'd be ace thx Gill.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Not enough credit has gone to Hardwick for some new, groundbreaking moves, such as playing a mature, capable ruckman, playing true forwards in the forward line and training players to make their tackles stick.

Perhaps we could adopt some of these innovative moves in 2021?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

20. Likes DOG GOD, G-Mo77, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Thanks for brilliant analysis
    Baker is tough as nails , and he hates get beaten 1 on 1. A good kick and very well balanced . Hardly see him lose his feet
    Balta is a gem. Powerful, quick , good overhead mark, good kick and plays multiple positions. I hope Scache had a look and see the standards he needs to get to.

I love how Essendon gained smith and lost out on Balta. Houli leaving them. The people who leave Essendon seem to prosper ... I could add melksham and Ryder to that list

Dion prestia , 3 premierships. Gws zero and going south .

2019 tigers won the vfl premiership . They have good depth
    Caddy is a tough nut and just knows how to find the ball, not overall quick

Broad has been a good pickup , 2015 draft number 67 ! From swan districts. For some reason I thought he came from williamstown

There seems to be more upside with many of their players. Shai bolton is a class above and just seems to know how to read the ball ahead of the game.

Lambert is really under rated and he kicked some crucial goals yesterday

Incredible that Bolton, baker and Pickett have played less than 30 games and now have 2 premierships.

Happy for the Long term players on the list : Edward and astbury who were there before hardwick

Tigers have recruited and developed their players very well . Also I think they have cut their list deep enough to keep all players competing. Kinda ironic Geelong have gone the other way and seem to attract players to come to them . GEELONG may have a big GAP when their over 30s players begin to retire.
    It's almost as if a coherent, reliable system that maximises talent/effort and minimises structural disruption might be worth investing in rather than slinging blokes left, right and centre in a series of rolling experiments in the hope the stars randomly align for 5 minutes and yield dividends.

Richmond are so bloody reliable it makes me sick and I hate-watch them for it just to get a taste of what it's like.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

22. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Not enough credit has gone to Hardwick for some new, groundbreaking moves, such as playing a mature, capable ruckman, playing true forwards in the forward line and training players to make their tackles stick.

Perhaps we could adopt some of these innovative moves in 2021?
    And they lost a player in the first 7 minutes for the balance of the game. They just get on with things
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"