Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  142
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Finals Footy - the Prelims and Grand Final Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    That was just about the most remarkable spoil I've seen.
    Stretchers have gone the way of contact below the knees. He shouldn’t have been made to walk off.

2. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Watching that game I can’t help but think how far off the pace we are....

Richmond were too good. Composed.
    So far but not so far. We have a lot of talent. We don’t have the right structure (Ruck, Key Defenders) and need to work on pressure and tackling.

No reason we can’t win the flag next year if we get trade period right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Another game won by a ruckman giving crucial first use to the mids. Nankervis was massive tonight
    Hitouts Port 45 to 23

Also clearances in the last qtr were something like 14-4 Richmond's way. It is usually a big strength of Port.
    Now that is where they won the game with 41 to 29 including 5 more stoppage clearances and 7 more centre clr
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Hitouts Port 45 to 23
    Such an archaic way to look at it. Hitouts to advantage and clean clearances went Richmond's way tonight, as it did last week against St Kilda, and as it did for St Kilda the week before against us.

Nankervis bashes and crashes in the style of Ben Hudson and ensures the opposing ruckman don't get a clear run at stoppages. He also works hard when the ball hits the deck and he works incredibly hard supporting the defenders in D50 under the high ball. Tonight he completely negated what is usually a massive advantage for Port tonight and was BOG for mine.

You are perfectly entitled to have your views on ruckmen. For mine, the best and most physical ones are proven time and time again to help win critical finals, and tonight was just another example proving the point.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

7. Likes Dry Rot, The Bulldogs Bite, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It was a game of inches. Port weren't too far away. Boak's miss in the 3rd was crucial. But have to give it to Richmond with gritted teeth. They found a way again. Go LIONS!!
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Jeez. Tigers just keep bloody winning.

So envious of that club.
    After winning the flag they've been determined to go on with it. Kudos to them
    We can be creative with our excuses but we should have seen stronger performances after our flag win
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

10. Likes Sedat, The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Jeez. Tigers just keep bloody winning.

So envious of that club.
    Same mate. After winning in 2016 we had a perfect chance to build on our success on and off the field. I had visions of "sustained success" like Richmond have had, which we kind of joked about after 2017. We have completely gone backwards since and it’s an absolute disgrace we haven't capitiblisd on our win. Love them or hate them, they're doing exactly what we planned to do after 2016.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Same mate. After winning in 2016 we had a perfect chance to build on our success on and off the field. I had visions of "sustained success" like Richmond have had, which we kind of joked about after 2017. We have completely gone backwards since and it’s an absolute disgrace we haven't capitiblisd on our win. Love them or hate them, they're doing exactly what we planned to do after 2016.
    They also have a once in a lifetime player in Martin. He makes them all walk taller. What a big game player. Only player to ever have 3 x 20 disposals and 2 goals in prelims. Might have 3 x Norm Smith medals next week. You can pretty much mark down his decision not to go to North as the most important sliding doors moment for a team ever almost.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    They also have a once in a lifetime player in Martin. He makes them all walk taller. What a big game player. Only player to ever have 3 x 20 disposals and 2 goals in prelims. Might have 3 x Norm Smith medals next week. You can pretty much mark down his decision not to go to North as the most important sliding doors moment for a team ever almost.
    He’s all time. An unbelievable player and while Bont is very good, Martin is very much on another level. Even just his goal finishing. Sublime.

Post Thanks / Like

Dusty might be the best footballer I’ve ever seen.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Dusty might be the best footballer I’ve ever seen.
    Crazy question. Any chance other teams might try and lock down on him or put him off his game ? He roams free. That first goal he was free at a stoppage not a body near him. I think it's worth a try especially in finals. Hard I know as he can go forward, but at least raise the bar from where opposition teams are now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Crazy question. Any chance other teams might try and lock down on him or put him off his game ? He roams free. That first goal he was free at a stoppage not a body near him. I think it's worth a try especially in finals. Hard I know as he can go forward, but at least raise the bar from where opposition teams are now.
    Problem is where he starts after a goal or start of a quarter isn’t where he ends up. Port tried to lock him down, but it’s just near on impossible.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

17. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Although he gave a 50m away and didn’t kick a goal I thought Daniel Rioli was one of richmonds best. Extremely clean with his disposal.

Also kudos need a be given to Cotchin, his last quarter was crazy good.

Also l have loved Shai Bolton’s finals series.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

If you meet Martin in a final just use the Lee Mathews tactics.

Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Such an archaic way to look at it. Hitouts to advantage and clean clearances went Richmond's way tonight, as it did last week against St Kilda, and as it did for St Kilda the week before against us.
    You can't take one comment, ignore the other comment and then argue your narrative and say it is an archaic way at looking at it. If you look at post 33 you find the answer to why Richmond won. Yes the ruckman needs to put the ball to advantage and Nankervis did that 5 times in the last, but it is not all about the Ruckman.

Here is a good example of what Richmond did in the last quarter:

https://twitter.com/rickm18/status/1317238667224608768
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.