1 5.56%
  • Delist

3 16.67%
  • Needs more time

2 11.11%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rating our list 2020 Josh Bruce 17

Well the season is done and dusted but the list rating still goes on as we continue to evaluate each player on our list starting with the highest number Lin Jong down to Matthew Suckling.
    The poll will run for a week and when your post in the poll if you can give a reason on your thoughts so we can share your insights.
    At the end we'll see how our list looks in the eyes of WOOF members.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating our list 2020 Josh Bruce 17

A few stats:
    Height: 197cm
    Weight: 101Kg
    Games: 130

Key forward Josh Bruce joined the Bulldogs from St Kilda, in the 2019 Telstra AFL Trade Period. The 27-year-old agreed to terms on a four-year deal to call VU Whitten Oval home until the end of 2023. Bruce played every game for the Saints in 2019, kicking 36 goals and finishing ninth in their best and fairest. An experienced forward and powerful athlete, Bruce is a strong contested mark who consistently hits the scoreboard, having kicked 36 or more goals in four of the past five years. Bruce was originally selected by Greater Western Sydney as an ACT zone selection in 2010, before requesting a trade to St Kilda at the end of the 2013 season.

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

This'll be fun.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

4. Likes Hotdog60 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Incredibly poor season but a seriously good AFL quality player when in form

He needs to be in top top condition on his return to the club and he should have a substantially improved 2021 season
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Likes SquirrelGrip, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Incredibly poor season but a seriously good AFL quality player when in form

He needs to be in top top condition on his return to the club and he should have a substantially improved 2021 season
    Not much to add to this. So disappointed with him, thought he may even fire up in the finals.

Let's hope he is right next season.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not much to add to this. So disappointed with him, thought he may even fire up in the finals.

Let's hope he is right next season.
    We did him and therefore the team no favors by playing Bruce regardless of his form and I think it sets a really poor standard for the playing group knowing that some players are being asked to perform and at least one other are given a free passage

If we have learned one thing this year I hope it's the concept that form more than the name of the player should be the primary selection criteria going forward

9. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We did him and therefore the team no favors by playing Bruce regardless of his form and I think it sets a really poor standard for the playing group knowing that some players are being asked to perform and at least one other are given a free passage

If we have learned one thing this year I hope it's the concept that form more than the name of the player should be the primary selection criteria going forward
    We've got issues if the MC needed to learn such lesson.

I was a big fan of Bruce's recruitment, but I have my concerns now. Obviously had a pitiful year, but what do we do with him if he doesn't perform next year? Lot of money tied up in a player that can only play one position. We're dictated to by availability to a degree but hindsight says a second ruck/forward would have been better for our side. His position makes it difficult for us to recruit a second ruck with Naughton and JUH/Schache.

Let's hope he has a big preseason because he needs to redeem himself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    We've got issues if the MC needed to learn such lesson.

I was a big fan of Bruce's recruitment, but I have my concerns now. Obviously had a pitiful year, but what do we do with him if he doesn't perform next year? Lot of money tied up in a player that can only play one position. We're dictated to by availability to a degree but hindsight says a second ruck/forward would have been better for our side. His position makes it difficult for us to recruit a second ruck with Naughton and JUH/Schache.

Let's hope he has a big preseason because he needs to redeem himself.
    To me it's a simple concept in that we don't play him, or anyone else for that matter, who isn't performing. One rule for everyone
    Bruce needs to be challenged to come back in peak condition and earn his pay cheque.

Post Thanks / Like

No player should just be played based on their pay check, and that’s definitely what happened with Bruce this year in my opinion. I was also an advocate for recruiting him, but it was a massive failure, made more so by the MC playing him when his form didn’t warrant it. It must have sent terrible vibes to the likes of Schache and Lew Young.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    No player should just be played based on their pay check, and that’s definitely what happened with Bruce this year in my opinion. I was also an advocate for recruiting him, but it was a massive failure, made more so by the MC playing him when his form didn’t warrant it. It must have sent terrible vibes to the likes of Schache and Lew Young.
    There is something that I keep seeing on linkedin that mentions the one way to alienate good employees is accept poor performances from a colleague or two. I think this concept applies to footy clubs as well. Lets cut Bruce and the MC some slack for this year but it simply can't continue next year.

Post Thanks / Like

There is something that I keep seeing on linkedin that mentions the one way to alienate good employees is accept poor performances from a colleague or two. I think this concept applies to footy clubs as well. Lets cut Bruce and the MC some slack for this year but it simply can't continue next year.
    Because we didn't have VFL this year, I am prepared to cut the MC some slack.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Because we didn't have VFL this year, I am prepared to cut the MC some slack.
    So you think the lack of a VFL is the reason why we played out of form players including Josh Bruce?
    I think it raises a question on the development of some younger players but it doesn't really explain the selections of players down on form. We were incredibly patient with Bruce, backing him to come good when he had no form but it just can't go on next year
    If he has any pride in his performances he should be ready for a big 2021 campaign but I wonder given the fact we played him regardless if we have properly incentivised him to push himself to improve

16. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hoping Bruce will do a May and come back in ripping condition and have a good year. Hoping.

18. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So you think the lack of a VFL is the reason why we played out of form players including Josh Bruce?
    Partly because we couldn't get a full gauge on how players were tracking out of just training and scratch matches.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I pretty much missed the season but I expected more of this bloke.
    It's like checking your blue chip shares after a year on set and forget, and shockingly finding yourself in the red.
    Shave your head of that Mullet in shame and kick some goals please.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus