1 5.56%
  • Delist

3 16.67%
  • Needs more time

2 11.11%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating our list 2020 Josh Bruce 17

I was very excited by the prospect of recruiting Bruce, I thought he was going to be great. One year on, I am considerably unimpressed.

I think he might be the player I have warmed to least out of everybody we have ever fielded. I think in my own internal rating system Jayden Schofield, Ed Barlow and Brennan Stack all get a game before Bruce if i had to pick a team.

He needs a monster preseason, where he gets his mobility back and relearns how to take a mark. Has a bit of the Crameri's and Gowers about him in that he is a big crash and bash style forward that constantly goes for dumb low percentage plays, he genuinely plays like we just unleashed a huge Labrador in our forwardline and just told him to "get amongst it".
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Cramer was a one on one player but anyway, Josh will be ok he is limited and probably plays his best footy at Marvel but you don't lose his skill set overnight. Someone on here said he will frustrate let's just hope the frustrating games happen less next season.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    he genuinely plays like we just unleashed a huge Labrador in our forwardline and just told him to "get amongst it".
    Very Funny
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon he will do ok in 2021. Settled in, lower expectations, focus on Naughts & JUH. Hopefully our delivery is more to Naughts as bought we kicked it to Bruce too much when both were playing and Bruce was at more acute angles to goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Bruce needs to look at what Charlie Dixon did over the 2019-20 off season. It might induce eyerolls if you bring it up to opposition supporters, but their physical styles of play and contested marking make them pretty similar types of players.

Dixon’s 2019 was absolutely putrid, barely going at a goal a game and offering the side nothing but empty physicality and cheap frees. But he worked himself into the best shape of his career by a mile, and suddenly with a +5 attribute boost to his speed and mobility he became an elite key forward.

Bruce clearly has talent and x-factor to his game, but after getting to see a whole season of him up close everything we were told about his lacklustre attitude to training and conditioning appear to be true, as does his tendency to offer absolutely nothing when he can’t get involved on the scoreboard. He absolutely can turn it around but I’m worried he can’t be arsed.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

6. Likes SquirrelGrip, The Pie Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    He absolutely can turn it around but I’m worried he can’t be arsed.
    Well luckily we took a real hardline stand with him this year and due to his poor conditioning and woeful form made it clear to him it was unacceptable and thus...*checks notes*...played him in every game.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

8. Thanks The Bulldogs Bite thanked for this post
    Likes The Pie Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Well luckily we took a real hardline stand with him this year and due to his poor conditioning and woeful form made it clear to him it was unacceptable and thus...*checks notes*...played him in every game.
    Maybe with the lack of scratch match footage out there this was a deliberate move by the coaching staff to ensure he ran at least 10km on the weekends?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

10. Likes bornadog, The Pie Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Needs to watch some Videos of Mitch Hahn.
    That might be a good thread. Old dogs our New Dogs could learn from.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I loved watching Mitch Hahn play. Tough as, good mark and team player. Need more like him now. I think he is coaching - cannot recall where but recall read something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    I loved watching Mitch Hahn play. Tough as, good mark and team player. Need more like him now. I think he is coaching - cannot recall where but recall read something.
    Up in QLD - Neafl
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I have such low expectations of Bruce in 2021 that he will have to be utterly putrid not to exceed them. I've never seen a seasoned player with a proven on-field track record for a number of years get recruited to a club and be so consistently and utterly awful at his new club. There are big trade busts all the time, such as Beams and Hogan, but these have extenuating circumstances. With Bruce, it is almost as though he developed football amnesia during the first lockdown and completely forgot how to play the game.

We have blown a large hole in our salary cap for the next 3 years with him, and there is no chance whatsoever that another club will have the slightest interest, so he's our long-term problem and a large one at that. He owes the club and himself the biggest pre-season of his life to get his footy career back on track, because his 2020 form on the field is simply not acceptable
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

15. Likes Ghost Dog, Happy Days, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wingard was terrible this year but for a game or two if it's any consolation. And we were in his ear as well. It happens for whatever reason. Bruce isn't a world beater but I'm optimistic he'll make a contribution next year.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

17. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Up in QLD - Neafl
    Yep, Brisbane's NEAFL team to be exact. I guess Footscray could play them next year.

Bit of a Bulldogs connection on the Lion's coaching staff with Ben Hudson and Jed Adcock as assistants to Fagan as well.

19. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Wingard was terrible this year but for a game or two if it's any consolation. And we were in his ear as well. It happens for whatever reason. Bruce isn't a world beater but I'm optimistic he'll make a contribution next year.
    Many rated Wingard as an A grade gun but showed very little of his talent. Perhaps a bullet dodged.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I endorse this objection to Sedat's summation because nothing is better on this forum than when Sedat is worked up sufficiently to use plain and scathing language about particular situations. And in this instance he's already delivered a solid start!

To add fuel to the fire, one might argue that having to relocate a partner and have a child just to keep a career going when already lacking family support could be considered extenuating circumstances, albeit those circumstances not being as usually recognisable as an excuse as death, cancer or mental illness etc. But, nonetheless I'm sure it would have taken some type of toll on him.

Wholeheartedly I agree that Bruce needs to get fit AF, and not be so tired that after training that he can't practice a bit of kicking, at goal and in the field because the way he put ball to boot this year was just about as disturbing as his chronic lack of timing in marking contests and his lack of awareness in game play.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

22. Likes 1eyedog liked this post