Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The "BEST" players who are supposedly available (from rumours heard).

Lot's of talk so far but not much talk about difference makers.

The names I have heard mentioned who are genuine 'game changing' talents so far are:

De Goey - But there is the issue around assault charges.
    Treloar - No idea what's going on - good player.
    Mason Cox - Will be shouted down but was unbelievable in a final only a couple of weeks ago.
    Brad Crouch - Dink and dunk disposals, but hell, 40 touches is still 40 touches.
    Joe Daniher - Game changing footballer
    Jesse Hogan - Personal issues/demons and challenging personality
    Jeremy Cameron - Seems to be Geelong or bust

What other names have you heard who could actually impact on the outcome of a football game? I have to admit, I hesitated about putting the name "Brad Crouch" in this list.

Who amongst them is gettable? Who could play a role in our colours?

To me, this off-season is all about JUH and securing him needs to be the priority, but if there are others available...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The "BEST" players who are supposedly available (from rumours heard).

I agree with your analyses on those guys. I would definitely be into Daniher and Cox (and I don't care who shouts it down). The others I'm not interested in.

Don't think we'll go after/get any of them though.
    "It's over. It's all over."

3. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cox is the only one who kind of fits a need.

If we lose Dunks (unlikely), I'd offer Collingwood a future second for Treloar. They'd hate it but they're pushing him out the door and it helps them with F/S bidding next year and gives them cap space.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

If we thought Treloar could play on a wing I'd be interested in him now, Dunkley or no Dunkley.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Cox is the only one who kind of fits a need.

If we lose Dunks (unlikely), I'd offer Collingwood a future second for Treloar. They'd hate it but they're pushing him out the door and it helps them with F/S bidding next year and gives them cap space.
    Treloar is a quality footballer, but from what I've seen he is the type that can only play in the centre square rotation. Is that what we need?
    That would be Libba, Macrae and Treloar in the same category. Dunkley is a victim of his own versatility.

I don't think we can lose sight of how big a coup getting JUH is. If we could keep our core players together and add someone of that potential I'd call the off-season a success, as much I would like ruck support as well.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Treloar is a quality footballer, but from what I've seen he is the type that can only play in the centre square rotation. Is that what we need?
    That would be Libba, Macrae and Treloar in the same category. Dunkley is a victim of his own versatility.

I don't think we can lose sight of how big a coup getting JUH is. If we could keep our core players together and add someone of that potential I'd call the off-season a success, as much I would like ruck support as well.
    I'm not sure we can rely on Libba getting through a season fully unscathed like 2020.

Warm weather, shorter games, less overall games all helped him pull through.

If we lose Dunks, we need another mid that can win his own ball.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I'm not sure we can rely on Libba getting through a season fully unscathed like 2020.

Warm weather, shorter games, less overall games all helped him pull through.

If we lose Dunks, we need another mid that can win his own ball.
    Macrae, Smith and Bont is a decent starting point.

It's the second rotation that we need to consider - Rhylee West should push for games. Does Hunter pinch hit in there, Wallis get a rotation or two? McLean would be in the conversation but I doubt we see him next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Macrae, Smith and Bont is a decent starting point.

It's the second rotation that we need to consider - Rhylee West should push for games. Does Hunter pinch hit in there, Wallis get a rotation or two? McLean would be in the conversation but I doubt we see him next year.
    Wallis is a permanent forward for mine. I'd also prefer that Bont has the freedom to go forward too and if Dunks goes, we do limit that IMO.

West may push into the midfield rotation but he's a fair way off right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Jesse Hogan is an interesting one. He can play back and forward, but we need to find out what his issues are and are they fixable, and does he want to leave WA again? We are looking for a key defender, so there is one possibilty.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Jesse Hogan is an interesting one. He can play back and forward, but we need to find out what his issues are and are they fixable, and does he want to leave WA again? We are looking for a key defender, so there is one possibilty.
    Hard, hard pass for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Hard, hard pass for me.
    Is it the no dickhead policy?

I must admit all I know is what is reported which is usually 50% correct and that is why I said we would need to know his issues.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard, hard pass for me.
    He is one of those guys you always feel like... We can do it, we can be the ones to get him up and about and make him happy. He's such a talent, and was fundamental in the Demons surge of 2018 as a two pronged attack with Mcdonald.
    Then there's the off field stuff, and my enthusiasm retreats. Overall I think history shows us its hard to reform these guys, and I'm sure Freo did everything to get him going. But crikey at 25, and in reasonable shape I almost think he's worth the risk.

Post Thanks / Like

Freo trialed him in the backline in scratch matches but pulled the pin as it wasn't working. No evidence he can play back at all.

15. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it the no dickhead policy?

I must admit all I know is what is reported which is usually 50% correct and that is why I said we would need to know his issues.
    I'm not convinced that he's a dickhead, but I'm convinced that he's unpredictable and unreliable.

I don't hold his mental health issues against him - I hope he is getting the help he needs - but if we already knows he has this baggage, it's not a good idea to pick it up IMO.

Plus, I'm not sure he's even that good.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not convinced that he's a dickhead, but I'm convinced that he's unpredictable and unreliable.

I don't hold his mental health issues against him - I hope he is getting the help he needs - but if we already knows he has this baggage, it's not a good idea to pick it up IMO.

Plus, I'm not sure he's even that good.
    When flying, he's a star. I'm not sure he'll get to that point again.

He's survived cancer and lost his dad in pretty quick succession - it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out he has PTSD of some description.

18. Likes EasternWest liked this post