Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The "BEST" players who are supposedly available (from rumours heard).

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Freo trialed him in the backline in scratch matches but pulled the pin as it wasn't working. No evidence he can play back at all.
    He played CHB way back in the National Champs and was BOG.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    He played CHB way back in the National Champs and was BOG.
    Interesting, why was that? He was always touted as a forward since he was drafted as far as I can tell. Where did he play the rest of his junior footy?

Post Thanks / Like

If Hogan is not on a silly amount of money I'd trust our club and mentoring from psychologist (?Lisa?) that T Boyd has made glowing remarks about & from rest of club hierarchy as well as our players that we'd stand a 50/50 chance of success (complete guess on my part). If he turns it around that would be a great outcome for him and for whatever club takes a chance. Hope our club does their due diligence and at least explores it.

Agree though that it is a punt given it did not work out for Freo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I'm not convinced that he's a dickhead, but I'm convinced that he's unpredictable and unreliable.

I don't hold his mental health issues against him - I hope he is getting the help he needs - but if we already knows he has this baggage, it's not a good idea to pick it up IMO.

Plus, I'm not sure he's even that good.
    Yeah there's a big difference between being a dickhead and having mental health problems. Plenty of people can suffer MH problems and be a dickhead (I've been a prime example at various times) at the same time but from what I've seen from Hogan he's not really a dickhead. From what I've seen he suffers from MH problems because he's had some real shit things happen to him in pretty short order, it's not an organic thing.

I don't really know if we should recruit him or can "fix" or successfully treat him if we do but in terms of pure playing talent any club would love
    him on their list.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

5. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yeah there's a big difference between being a dickhead and having mental health problems. Plenty of people can suffer MH problems and be a dickhead (I've been a prime example at various times) at the same time but from what I've seen from Hogan he's not really a dickhead. From what I've seen he suffers from MH problems because he's had some real shit things happen to him in pretty short order, it's not an organic thing.

I don't really know if we should recruit him or can "fix" or successfully treat him if we do but in terms of pure playing talent any club would love
    him on their list.
    I agree with all of this. The two can be mutually inclusive and exclusive and like I said, I never really felt like Jesse was a dickhead.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Good assessment. I would seriously look at Hogan. I mean if he's available and cheap, wow. Could be a great addition to the list.
    And have a bit of a sniff around Treloar. Pace.

Lot's of talk so far but not much talk about difference makers.

The names I have heard mentioned who are genuine 'game changing' talents so far are:

De Goey - But there is the issue around assault charges.
    Treloar - No idea what's going on - good player.
    Mason Cox - Will be shouted down but was unbelievable in a final only a couple of weeks ago.
    Brad Crouch - Dink and dunk disposals, but hell, 40 touches is still 40 touches.
    Joe Daniher - Game changing footballer
    Jesse Hogan - Personal issues/demons and challenging personality
    Jeremy Cameron - Seems to be Geelong or bust

What other names have you heard who could actually impact on the outcome of a football game? I have to admit, I hesitated about putting the name "Brad Crouch" in this list.

Who amongst them is gettable? Who could play a role in our colours?

To me, this off-season is all about JUH and securing him needs to be the priority, but if there are others available...

Post Thanks / Like

Hogan, maybe. But is he actually any good? Showed good signs early days, but that's a long time ago now. Hard to see him as a defender, but worth a chat.

Cox I've spoken about and I like.

Treloar is an interesting one. What does he cost us now? Value surely dropped now that the world knows Collingwood want him out. Weird situation, seems like a really likeable guy. I know he's prone to a turnover but he's a gun and his pace would be handy.

Post Thanks / Like

Rumour doing the rounds we are interested in Esava Ratugolea from the Cats, can ruck and go forward.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Tippa.
    Need to pry him out if Dunks goes there. Is he a game changer? No, but he'd be pretty mental in our forward line and would provide some Bruz magic for JUH next year as well. He needs a change and is exactly what we need IMO.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

11. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are there some similarities between Treloar and Baz Smith? Treloar probably not as fierce with his tackling, and Baz has better skills.

I really like Treloar for his burst speed, but his disposal is very average. I have watched him closely for a few years as he has been in my dynasty fantasy football league, and while he is a great Dreamteam scorer and accumulator he hasn't had a particularly damaging game in a few years from my memory. His hamstrings are a bit of a concern.

I think even though Pies are pushing him, they would still want a first round pick.

Post Thanks / Like

If we could get our hands on Treloar for a late future first round or thereabouts and a salary that isn't outrageous then you'd do it in a flash in my view. Our midfield is good, but it could be better and specifically, more diverse in terms of leg speed. Irrespective of what happens with Dunkley, if we fix the ruck situation and assume there's going to be longer quarters next year I think we could fit him in within half forward, the wings and centre of the ground.

However the big question is, what constitutes a salary that isn't outrageous for an inside midfielder who goes at 60% disposal efficiency and only scores .1 a game? I guess with a little more support, can he smarten up his disposal efficiency?

If he's on massive coin these next few years and Collingwood is prepared to suck up $200K p.a. of it which I've read they might, then are we talking him being a $600K-$700K p.a. player? Is that almost about right?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    If we could get our hands on Treloar for a late future first round or thereabouts and a salary that isn't outrageous then you'd do it in a flash in my view. Our midfield is good, but it could be better and more specifically, more diverse in terms of leg speed. Irrespective of what happens with Dunkley, if we fix the ruck situation and assume there's going to be longer quarters next year I think we could fit him in within half forward, the wings and centre of the ground.

However the big question is, what constitutes a salary that isn't outrageous for an inside midfielder who goes at 60% disposal efficiency and only scores .1 a game? I guess with a little more support, can he smarten up his disposal efficiency?

If he's on massive coin these next few years and Collingwood is prepared to suck up $200K p.a. of it which I've read they might, then are we talking him being a $600K-$700K p.a. player? Is that almost about right?
    I have always said we need another outside mid with pace as we have too many mids that are similar.

I would go with him if we could do the deal as per above.

Just read this on Foxfooty - pretty poor by Collingwood

Collingwood wants to part ways with Adam Treloar because it believes the departure of his wife and child to another state will impact on his performance.

The Age’s Sam McClure reports that Treloar’s wife, professional netballer Kim Ravaillion, and six-month-old daughter, Georgie, are at the centre of the Magpies’ desire to offload the 27-year-old in the off-season.
    Ravaillion is moving to Brisbane with Georgie having signed a 10-month contract with the Queensland Firebirds, while Treloar had planned on staying at Collingwood where he remains a contracted player until 2025.
    But as reported by Foxfooty.com.au on Monday night, the gun on-baller was told by the Magpies that they don’t want him any more — and are willing to subsidise his salary at a new club to help push him out.
    Last edited by bornadog; 27-10-2020 at 09:52 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Surely Treloar goes to QLD then
    Happy with anyone on MJP's list
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

What other names have you heard who could actually impact on the outcome of a football game? I have to admit, I hesitated about putting the name "Brad Crouch" in this list.

Who amongst them is gettable? Who could play a role in our colours?

To me, this off-season is all about JUH and securing him needs to be the priority, but if there are others available...
    I wonder if there may be some unexpected possibilities this year.

COVID, the hubs etc may have made say some Victorian origin players in interstate clubs more inclined to return home. Especially since the hubs are likely to be needed and used next season too.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

What happened with the Hamling rumblings? Everyone was apparently disgruntled and leaving Freo, is Hamling getting out of dodge still on the cards?

If so, is Hamling a potential option that could help bolster the talls in our back half?