Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Monday Soap Box - Round Four (Gather Round)

Have a rant about something that annoyed you for this round.
    It could be the AFL, umpiring, Kane Cornes, Channel 7 commentary, Rules or even opposition players etc
    What do you think of the gather round concept?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Monday Soap Box - Round Four (Gather Round)

That goal review.

Wtf.

Firstly the Arc told the umpire to stop the game, which has never been a thing except after a goal. Is this a thing?

Second the footage was inconclusive. And possibly trended towards saying it wasn't a mark imo. How could they justify overruling the decision based on the available footage?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

3. Likes GVGjr, Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Geelong.

Just fk their entire existence.

Smug, entitled, public coffer teet sucking, ocean loving, goat embracing, coastal lifestyle spruiking mongrels!

They couldn't walk in the last qtr and still beat us with Libba having more clearances than Sidney's Lounge Discounters and Ken Bruce combined!

Bahhhh.

Guess what, we go to Sedat Stadium later in the season. Leger choc!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    That goal review.

Wtf.

Firstly the Arc told the umpire to stop the game, which has never been a thing except after a goal. Is this a thing?

Second the footage was inconclusive. And possibly trended towards saying it wasn't a mark imo. How could they justify overruling the decision based on the available footage?
    Agreed.
    There are also just way too many reviews. It will end up with a TV sponsor.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Gather Round. When there are close AFL games, one of if not the the most naturally crowd engaging sports I'm aware of, and the time the crowd is most engaged is when doing Mexican Wave, you've got a dud concept.

You've taken away the passion for a gimmick.

7. Likes azabob, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Gather Round. When there are close AFL games, one of if not the the most naturally crowd engaging sports I'm aware of, and the time the crowd is most engaged is when doing Mexican Wave, you've got a dud concept.

You've taken away the passion for a gimmick.
    The crowd was so flat in our game it was really distracting me. Of course it will all be hailed as a wonderful success. Considering we have to play in Geelong - I feel as if we lost a home ground advantage playing them there. Actually what am I saying, they beat us everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    The crowd was so flat in our game it was really distracting me. Of course it will all be hailed as a wonderful success. Considering we have to play in Geelong - I feel as if we lost a home ground advantage playing them there. Actually what am I saying, they beat us everywhere.
    I want to know how close Adelaide ovals ground is similar to Kardinia park.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

My soapbox is so many discussions on player salaries - media especially.

I don't give a flying F on what players are paid. My concern is more their form and whether they are what we need.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Went to Gather Round and enjoyed every second of it. Loved going to the more regional grounds, watched loads of footy - albeit the quality of most matches was pretty poor.

For a soap box... not a new one, but shout out to the cost of a beer at the footy.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm OK with the concept of THAT review on the goal line, as if it was us taking the mark, we'd want that to happen.

My soap box is more with the decision made. I struggle that it can be a legal mark if you have no part of your body on or in front of the line. I know that the rule is about the ball being on or over the line, but it doesn't sit right with me.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Going to go against the grain here. I was happy with the score review. As far as I'm concerned Stengle had marked the ball before it had completely crossed the line. No issue at all.

Now, on to the stand rule.

I'm not objected to it in principle. I get why it is in place and it HAS opened up the game.

BUT...

The focus on enforcing the Stand/Oustide 5 provision has left many umpires forgetting rule 20.2(a), which states *ahem*

Disposal From Behind the Mark

(a) A Player who has been awarded a Mark or Free Kick shall be directed by a field
    Umpire to dispose of the football within a reasonable time in a direct line from
    The Mark to the centre of their Goal Line.
    I'm constantly seeing players either being able to line up 5 metres closer to the centre corridor than they ought to be, or being called to play on when in reality, they're simply trying to move into their proper line over the mark.

It's not necessarily an umpire issue (though it is to a large degree). Its what happens when you have an unnecessary complex rule that requires so much of the umpire's focus that a fundamental gets thrown out the window. Get the players back over their mark. Blow the whistle and move them in if you have to.

And while I'm talking about officiating, I'm not letting go of my previous view of the advantage rule. The game needs to adopt Rugby's approach. Signal the advantage without the whistle, then call it back if it doesn't immediately and clearly pan out. I'm sick of seeing rushed advantages that clearly aren't advantages allowed to stand, or all but one player stopping for the whistle at a stoppage and an unopposed takeaway. It discourages playing to the whistle.

14. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ball was still spinning WD over the line wasn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Ball was still spinning WD over the line wasn't it?
    From my viewing I'm happy he had control of it. Again, I acknowledge that I'm an outlier on this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    From my viewing I'm happy he had control of it. Again, I acknowledge that I'm an outlier on this one.
    Fair enough.

I just had a closer look, frame 1 is what they used to say it was in control and hadn't crossed the line.

Frame 2, you can clearly see the ball has spun from the previous frame and that his hand isn't completely on it so there's enough doubt for me that you can't definitively over rule.

It might have been a mark. Considering the goal umpire called a point, and the evidence is suspect i think its a mistake.

18. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes kickit2Koly, Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

my soapbox is our Fixture, how the F@#k have we ended up with 4 of The top 5 teams twice this year?! we missed finals last year and get Dees, Cats, giants and swans twice.