Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  126
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Geelong

Post Thanks / Like

Geelong

Do these guys deserve their own thread?

Quality side that after fielding the 5 oldest lineups ever at the end of this season have doubled down and targeted even more experience.

They clearly have every intention of going all out for that flag while they still have Dangerfield in his prime and guys like Selwood, Duncan and Hawkins contributing. They've been agressive and this is probably the best example we've seen of a club adopting this kind of strategy.

If they grab Higgins as well to add to Smith and Cameron are they even better, even after the departures of Ablett and Taylor, and will losing the fringe youth types like Jordan Clark hurt them long term?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

2. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Geelong

They’ve identified that the combination of having the most beneficial stadium advantage in the league, FA, the appeal of the surf coast lifestyle and the financial opportunities they offer outside the cap, means they’ll never have to bottom out again.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

4. Likes DOG GOD, Testekill, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cameron is a massive in. They should have stopped there.

Getting one, maybe two years of Higgins and Smith is not worth losing Clark/Constable/Narkle and I'd question if it even makes them any better. I know they were left pretty embarrassed by having Atkins at a crucial stoppage in the Port final and want to shore up the back end of their 22, but if I were in their position I would back in their younger players to improve at a logical rate rather than replace them with vets.

They were probably the best team last season and adding one of the more dynamic forwards in the game would have been enough to put them over the top. The other moves will bear a significant cost in a couple of years when the hole they've created in their 21-23 year olds becomes more apparent as a hole in 24-26 year olds (assuming the rumoured guys actually leave of course).
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Also do they even have a salary cap?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

7. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    The other moves will bear a significant cost in a couple of years when the hole they've created in their 21-23 year olds becomes more apparent as a hole in 24-26 year olds (assuming the rumoured guys actually leave of course).
    They hold picks 13, 15, 20 and 37 atm so may not be in as bad a position with youth as it appears if they can make some of them stick, although if GWS match the Cameron bid they'll lose most of those you'd imagine.

If they can bring in a couple of talented young guys this year and retain half of those fringe young guys they may be able to patch up that hole a little, and there is a slight chance their current strategy of targeting these old guys could be sustainable if they can bring in a big fish every few years. They have certainly demonstrated they can sell the club so it isn't inconceivable that they could grab a free agent like Michael Walters, Isaac Heeney, Christian Petracca or Jackson Macrae to play with a 32 year old Dangerfield and keep them competetive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Also do they even have a salary cap?
    I imagine the departures of Ablett and Taylor help in this regard, and I think they are hitting the sweet spot with getting guys like Smith and Higgins over for stuff all in their search for a Premiership. I'm sure practically owning the Geelong community and all the off field benefit that entails wouldn't hurt them either.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's hoping another GF loss beckons. This year was soooo sweet. The only good thing about Geelong is the ring road.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

#draftdodgers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    They hold picks 13, 15, 20 and 37 atm so may not be in as bad a position with youth as it appears if they can make some of them stick, although if GWS match the Cameron bid they'll lose most of those you'd imagine.

If they can bring in a couple of talented young guys this year and retain half of those fringe young guys they may be able to patch up that hole a little, and there is a slight chance their current strategy of targeting these old guys could be sustainable if they can bring in a big fish every few years. They have certainly demonstrated they can sell the club so it isn't inconceivable that they could grab a free agent like Michael Walters, Isaac Heeney, Christian Petracca or Jackson Macrae to play with a 32 year old Dangerfield and keep them competetive.
    Surely GWS match the bid. They have to stick up for themselves as a footy club at some stage don't they?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Menegola might be on the table, since he was a late bloomer he wants his next contract to be the one that offers a good amount of money and stability. Turning 29 in March but he'd be a great target for us if we can put him on the opposite wing to Hunter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Here's hoping another GF loss beckons. This year was soooo sweet. The only good thing about Geelong is the ring road.
    Come on that's a bit harsh about the town haha but hilarious. Very true about the GF loss. Sweet!
    I didn't even watch the grand final I was so sure Tigers were going to win.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    They’ve identified that the combination of having the most beneficial stadium advantage in the league, FA, the appeal of the surf coast lifestyle and the financial opportunities they offer outside the cap, means they’ll never have to bottom out again.

I must say Scott is looking very thin and haggard these days. It's a tough place to be a coach. Under the microscope 24 hours a day.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Do these guys deserve their own thread?
    They do have one but a new one won't hurt

https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showth...?19283-Geelong
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    #draftdodgers
    Geelong and Hawthorn are two team that have typically preferred to trade mid first round picks for established players and then back themselves by turning later picks into good players.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Surely GWS match the bid. They have to stick up for themselves as a footy club at some stage don't they?
    $900k over 5 years, plus 1 extra year triggered depending on reaching a few targets
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.