Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  126
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Geelong

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Give in to the dark side….
    If Senator Palpatine wants to join our senate to stop this apparently 'acceptable ongoing pork barreling'. Then i'm voting #1 Sith straight down the ticket.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If Senator Palpatine wants to join our senate to stop this apparently 'acceptable ongoing pork barreling'. Then i'm voting #1 Sith straight down the ticket.
    To be honest I’m pretty anti public money going to professional sporting organisations regardless of who it is, acknowledging that the Dogs have benefited over the years, but Geelong certainly seem to have a funnel straight from government coffers.

3. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Handing this over to Sedat for his views.

Geelong Football Club received ‘rental abatement’ following delayed building works to the Joel Selwood Stand

The state government provided the Geelong Football Club with rental relief amid delayed building works on the new Joel Selwood Stand, but it won’t reveal how much, citing “commercial-in-confidence”.

The latest annual report from the Kardinia Park Stadium Trust, which manages the venue on behalf of the government, revealed it received just $34,000 in lease income last financial year.

This is a significant fall from the $283,000 it received in the previous period.

“Due to capital works being undertaken at the stadium impacting the lease contract for the GFC, a rental abatement agreement was enacted from late August 2021,” the documents state.

Rental abatement is defined as an agreement between the landlord and the tenant which provides a period of free rent.

The Cats are the stadium’s key tenant.

Works began on the stand in September, 2021 and it was due to be completed by June last year.

It is now expected to be open in time for Round 1 this season.

President Craig Drummond told members at the club’s annual general meeting just before Christmas the delay had cost the Cats the ability to capitalise on its 2022 premiership success.

The government, Kardinia Park Stadium Trust and the Cats would not reveal the exact figure of compensation for commercial-in-confidence reasons.

In Geelong’s most recent financial statement to October 30, 2023 its “revenue from other activities” increased by 162 per cent, from $963,000 to $2.5m.

However, the trust’s past two annual reports revealed the Cats received “rental abatement” from the government in relation to the stage five works on the Joel Selwood Stand.

“The trust is grateful for the ongoing operational funding support from the State Government which included funding for the rental abatement granted to the Geelong Football Club for the redevelopment works currently in progress,” the 21-22 report revealed.

The trust – which contributed an unspecified amount of funding towards the Cats’ overall compensation – finished with net deficit of $969,000 for the financial year ending June 30.

Both the government and trust say the 21-22 abatement figure was related to Covid rent relief while the 22-23 figure would remain secret due to commercial-in-confidence.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Thanks SquirrelGrip, MrMahatma thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So we are saying the government paid the Cats ~1.5 mill in compensation because their stand, that they didn't pay for was late.
    Woweeeee.
    I don't know any facts, so I'm just going to get angry and say I hate the Cats more now.

7. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sedat Stadium f***ing over all the hard working taxpayers every minute of every day. Stupid shitty pork barrel, barrel shaped with no wings, regional hick town stadium.

Or something like that....

Post Thanks / Like

That's what they get for using dodgy Chinese steel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    That's what they get for using dodgy Chinese steel.
    Why would the pollies care? The taxpayer is going to fund everything anyway, which is why every single project of theirs ends up being several years and billions of $$ over budget (that's a deliberate design feature of modern public infrastructure spending and not a bug). Today's pollies have shown time and again that they care infinitely more about the people and the economy of China than they do their own citizens, whom they genuinely despise. This embarrassing pissant project is just another example.

The modern day politician is nothing more than a brazen criminal.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

11. Likes Grantysghost, GVGjr, EasternWest, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Why would the pollies care? The taxpayer is going to fund everything anyway, which is why every single project of theirs ends up being several years and billions of $$ over budget (that's a deliberate design feature of modern public infrastructure spending and not a bug). Today's pollies have shown time and again that they care infinitely more about the people and the economy of China than they do their own citizens, whom they genuinely despise. This embarrassing pissant project is just another example.

The modern day politician is nothing more than a brazen criminal.
    BREAKING WOOF EXCLUSIVE : I've just driven passed GMHBA and the scenes down there are chaotic! Sedat this you?

13. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    BREAKING WOOF EXCLUSIVE : I've just driven passed GMHBA and the scenes down there are chaotic! Sedat this you?

Why are a bunch of Man City fans protesting in Geelong!?

15. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Why are a bunch of Man City fans protesting in Geelong!?
    Must be Sedat's mates?

17. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Must be Sedat's mates?
    I was a Wimbledon fan until they went under. Could not get enough of the Crazy Gang in their heyday - they were the EPL equivalent of the Wog Squad and just as nasty.

19. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was a Wimbledon fan until they went under. Could not get enough of the Crazy Gang in their heyday - they were the EPL equivalent of the Wog Squad and just as nasty.
    Do you follow anyone these days??
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to an AFC Wimbledon match when I was living in London, was intrigued by their history. Lots of people who supported the 'old' Wimbledon at the new club now.

22. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Do you follow anyone these days??
    I keep an eye on results for both MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon (Wimbledon effectively split into 2 teams after they went under, but the original rusted-on fans support AFC and want nothing to do with MK) but with both being in League 2 they are not exactly flying. MK Dons managed to get into the Championship a few years ago but went straight back down to League 1 and have been relegated again since then.

I've always been a big Ange fan since his playing days with South Melbourne (even though I'm a Heidelberg United fan from the old NSL days - I've always been a contrarian) so I've gravitated to Spurs this season. I really hope he brings some silverware to White Hart Lane (as a diehard Gunners fan, I know you don't share the same sentiment )

24. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    To be honest I’m pretty anti public money going to professional sporting organisations regardless of who it is, acknowledging that the Dogs have benefited over the years, but Geelong certainly seem to have a funnel straight from government coffers.
    Geelong is a world tourist destination as far as being the start of the great ocean road, the government won’t want a shit hole at the start of it. They want Geelong looking good and being up to date with everything.
    Footscray only brings old working class suburbia, not something that brings millions to the coffers.
    Universitys for us . Tourist money for them.
    Bring back the biff