Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  126
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Geelong

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Geelong

GWS are matching the Cameron contract offer.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

2. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Lovely. Geelong will have to cough up now, nice to see.

4. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great news. Go GWS.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Great news. Go GWS.
    This might be the first and last time those words are ever written on this board.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Lovely. Geelong will have to cough up now, nice to see.
    Compensation was pick 11, but GWS believe it should be more. Geelong hold 13, 15, 20.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Cameron is a massive in.
    So.

Cameron was a good player back in 2016-2019 and pretty ordinary this year. Even at his best though, I am really (really) interested in exactly how he would have helped on Grand Final day.

Geelong got absolutely abused once their short kicking game was shut-down by Richmond's pressure. Admittedly, that was pretty good pressure, but I just don't understand how adding Cameron would have helped or even will help in the future. I have people telling me he is perfect because he is completely different to Hawkins (plays higher, more athletic etc)...and then those same people tell me he will really provide a seamless transition to life after Hawkins because they have another key forward in place?

Geelong got abused around the outside of the game (flanks and wings) with the ability of McIntosh to run with Menegola really challenging the Cat's outside players...and the fact that guys like Lambert, Short, Graham, Baker (I could and probably should go on) completely abused their Geelong equivalents. I simply cannot get away from the fact that the 2019 prelim and the 2020 GF were the SAME GAME (Geelong up early, Richmond storming back) yet this year Geelong missed their best player from 2019...a mid (Kelly) who they have yet to replace.

Maybe they are confident the upgrades they need (outside running players with genuine grunt) are already on their list (yep, Jordan Clarke might be one of them) but adding ageing runners Higgins (maybe an upgrade on Ablett I guess) and Smith (who plays where exactly??) is going to solve their problems precisely how?

I love what Geelong have done in really staying competitive throughout but the facts remain: Richmond moved their best player FORWARD and didn't miss a beat in the mids - their 2nd tier inside players were awesome and continue to improve (Bolton, come on down). Geelong have an improving Parfitt but (and this hurts my heart) Narkle is simply not getting better and might never reach his potential - maybe that ACL has just taken away his chances to hit the top end???

To me, Geelong have a rare opportunity this year - a group of draftees that are really pretty unknown to most clubs (well, they 'know' them but they don't 'KNOW' them) and a recruiter roundly regarded as the best at spotting under-age talent...and 3x picks in the first round. They should sit their and TAKE THEM. They should find their replacements for Selwood and Dangerfield. They should recognise that Duncan and Menegola are also getting up there and try to find their replacements as well. Spending draft capital on a forward who they don't need right now? Well - to me that is a luxury they can't afford...particularly if Cameron#2020 is more than a short term thing.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

9. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Geelong's players 30 plus in 2021

• Selwood
    • Hawkins
    • Jenkins
    • Tuohy
    • Henderson
    • Steven
    • Dangerfield
    • Stanley
    • Blicavs
    • Rohan
    • Duncan

Add in Smith and Higgins.

I would be using my first round picks to grab some decent future players
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    So.

Cameron was a good player back in 2016-2019 and pretty ordinary this year. Even at his best though, I am really (really) interested in exactly how he would have helped on Grand Final day.

Geelong got absolutely abused once their short kicking game was shut-down by Richmond's pressure. Admittedly, that was pretty good pressure, but I just don't understand how adding Cameron would have helped or even will help in the future. I have people telling me he is perfect because he is completely different to Hawkins (plays higher, more athletic etc)...and then those same people tell me he will really provide a seamless transition to life after Hawkins because they have another key forward in place?

Geelong got abused around the outside of the game (flanks and wings) with the ability of McIntosh to run with Menegola really challenging the Cat's outside players...and the fact that guys like Lambert, Short, Graham, Baker (I could and probably should go on) completely abused their Geelong equivalents. I simply cannot get away from the fact that the 2019 prelim and the 2020 GF were the SAME GAME (Geelong up early, Richmond storming back) yet this year Geelong missed their best player from 2019...a mid (Kelly) who they have yet to replace.

Maybe they are confident the upgrades they need (outside running players with genuine grunt) are already on their list (yep, Jordan Clarke might be one of them) but adding ageing runners Higgins (maybe an upgrade on Ablett I guess) and Smith (who plays where exactly??) is going to solve their problems precisely how?

I love what Geelong have done in really staying competitive throughout but the facts remain: Richmond moved their best player FORWARD and didn't miss a beat in the mids - their 2nd tier inside players were awesome and continue to improve (Bolton, come on down). Geelong have an improving Parfitt but (and this hurts my heart) Narkle is simply not getting better and might never reach his potential - maybe that ACL has just taken away his chances to hit the top end???

To me, Geelong have a rare opportunity this year - a group of draftees that are really pretty unknown to most clubs (well, they 'know' them but they don't 'KNOW' them) and a recruiter roundly regarded as the best at spotting under-age talent...and 3x picks in the first round. They should sit their and TAKE THEM. They should find their replacements for Selwood and Dangerfield. They should recognise that Duncan and Menegola are also getting up there and try to find their replacements as well. Spending draft capital on a forward who they don't need right now? Well - to me that is a luxury they can't afford...particularly if Cameron#2020 is more than a short term thing.
    is their ability to recognise talent compromised by the fact that they stood down most of the recruiting team back in March.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Sounds like Menegola might be on the table, since he was a late bloomer he wants his next contract to be the one that offers a good amount of money and stability. Turning 29 in March but he'd be a great target for us if we can put him on the opposite wing to Hunter.
    What's a fair trade for Menegola?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    What's a fair trade for Menegola?
    Good question.

No lower than a mid second I'd have thought.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Geelong's players 30 plus in 2021

• Selwood
    • Hawkins
    • Jenkins
    • Tuohy
    • Henderson
    • Steven
    • Dangerfield
    • Stanley
    • Blicavs
    • Rohan
    • Duncan

Add in Smith and Higgins.

I would be using my first round picks to grab some decent future players

Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

15. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot, Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Perfect and so they should.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    So.

Perfect summation but shhhhhhhh. In all seriousness though it seems they are prepared to drop out of the 8 for a few years if they can just mayonnaise one more flag. Scott is depending on it.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    is their ability to recognise talent compromised by the fact that they stood down most of the recruiting team back in March.
    Given most of them watch footy in Victoria- where there was zero footy played - what would the impact of this really be?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Doing a North Melbourne trying to get a flag before they all retire , and look what happened to North.
    I think this year was the year they had the chance and should now be dropping older players off and bringing in the young.
    Bring back the biff