Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  126
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Geelong

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Geelong

I don't understand the Geelong criticism TBH - they have one of the best recruiting/list management teams in the business and have done their best to sell their USP to players, especially those that want to escape the city spotlight. Dangerfield can probably walk into the General Store at Moggs Creek without getting hassled - do you think he could do the same in Rundle Mall?

Every club has to find "something" to offer.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I don't understand the Geelong criticism TBH - they have one of the best recruiting/list management teams in the business and have done their best to sell their USP to players, especially those that want to escape the city spotlight. Dangerfield can probably walk into the General Store at Moggs Creek without getting hassled - do you think he could do the same in Rundle Mall?

I do wonder if the criticism is driven from some form of jealousy.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

It's a pretty appealing proposition: successful side, home ground advantage, financial opportunities outside footy/salary cap & surf coast lifestyle.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Sedat will love this one, Vic State Gov has committed another $40 million to finish off the stands at Geelong.

I hope we get the same for our redevelopment that we have put in submissions for.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sedat will love this one, Vic State Gov has committed another $40 million to finish off the stands at Geelong.

I hope we get the same for our redevelopment that we have put in submissions for.
    Without getting political on this site (which I won't), but colour me stupid if there isn't 1 million better ways to utilise the finite resource of govt purse strings in a pandemic, where the local economy and employment market has been utterly decimated and the mental/physical health and well-being of 6.6 million Victorians has been so badly compromised.

This is an awful decision IMO, and not just because I hate Geelong.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

7. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest, Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Without getting political on this site (which I won't), but colour me stupid if there isn't 1 million better ways to utilise the finite resource of govt purse strings in a pandemic, where the local economy and employment market has been utterly decimated and the mental/physical health and well-being of 6.6 million Victorians has been so badly compromised.

This is an awful decision IMO, and not just because I hate Geelong.
    Other than that great idea

Pretty sure infrastructure jobs ready to go will be funded (creates jobs ).

I am hoping our proposal put forward to the government will be funded and then we can start with the extension of the Training centre which needs a refresh and to be brought up to date with enhanced facilities. Originally it was one of the best out of all clubs when it was completed but that is getting on to almost 20 years ago.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Other than that great idea

Pretty sure infrastructure jobs ready to go will be funded (creates jobs ).

I am hoping our proposal put forward to the government will be funded and then we can start with the extension of the Training centre which needs a refresh and to be brought up to date with enhanced facilities. Originally it was one of the best out of all clubs when it was completed but that is getting on to almost 20 years ago.
    Whilst I agree that creation of jobs is a priority, the construction sector had taken far less of a financial hit than so many other sectors. Hospitality and tourism and the arts/live entertainment have been almost wiped from the map. Let alone the aviation industry and non-essential retail as well. Health and fitness industries have only just reopened today (the indoor ones at least) after being closed for almost the entire duration since March. I'm sure there are hundreds of other industries more significantly affected than building and construction.

Geelong have already benefited an enormous amount from state and federal coffers pre-COVID. I do not think this is right or fair that they are being prioritised ahead of other more needy industries post-pandemic
    Last edited by Sedat; 09-11-2020 at 04:44 PM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

10. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree completely Sedat (assuming your last sentence is missing a "not") but unfortunately Governments love to be able to wear a hard hat and make a big announcement.

12. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn shame.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon Chris Scott would have put in an Eric Cartman style crackshit off camera just then. The way he left the box was so Eric Cartman is wasn't funny.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Recent stuff:

GAJ - Pick 19 (essentially)
    Dahl - FA
    Jack Steven - Pick 58
    Josh Jenkins - Pick 37
    Isaac Smith - FA
    Shaun Higgins - Pick 30
    Jeremy Cameron - Picks 13, 15, 20, 4th (seconds back)
    Gary Rohan - Pick 61

Totals: Picks 13, 15, 19, 20, 30, 37, 58, 61

FMD. Some other teams have horrific recent records. All those picks and money. Nothing to show now or in the immediate future. That’s nearly as bad as any of the other bad ones currently going.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Geelong scores in finals losses:

Tonight
    43 QF

42 QF
    50 GF

51 QF
    66 GF

46 EF

40 QF

60 PF

Post Thanks / Like

Averaging 52 points across all those finals. They just cant score it seems. Cameron & Rohan isn’t helping either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Recent stuff:

GAJ - Pick 19 (essentially)
    Dahl - FA
    Jack Steven - Pick 58
    Josh Jenkins - Pick 37
    Isaac Smith - FA
    Shaun Higgins - Pick 30
    Jeremy Cameron - Picks 13, 15, 20, 4th (seconds back)
    Gary Rohan - Pick 61

Totals: Picks 13, 15, 19, 20, 30, 37, 58, 61

FMD. Some other teams have horrific recent records. All those picks and money. Nothing to show now or in the immediate future. That’s nearly as bad as any of the other bad ones currently going.
    I didn't remember Jenkins going for that high a pick nor Rohan going for that low a pick.

I mean we know Rohan is pretty bad in finals but he does at least do well in the H&A stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I didn't remember Jenkins going for that high a pick nor Rohan going for that low a pick.

I mean we know Rohan is pretty bad in finals but he does at least do well in the H&A stuff
    They got a less future pick back. Rohan was cheap because of wanting to be with his wife in Geelong after their trauma. Then he added some trauma to her.