Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  126
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Geelong

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    At least a quarter of Geelong’s lineup that took to Optus Stadium on Friday night were battling symptoms from a virus that swept through the club, according to Fox Footy’s Tom Morris.

The report states that up to six players - including Cam Guthrie, Tom Hawkins, Jeremy Cameron, Brad Close, and Lachie Henderson- were unwell in the lead-up to their preliminary final.

Geelong doctors were reportedly so concerned about the health of some players they felt compelled to inform the AFL in preparation for the possibility of several late changes.
    I heard it was a mix of finalsitis and oldmanitis.
    "It's over. It's all over."

2. Likes hujsh, 1eyedog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Man that’s horrible. Would explain them looking flat as a pancake. Presumably Demon players could catch it? I hope not. Would not want to us or Port to win a GF that way. Unlikely but if they do catch it hopefully in 14 days they’ll be ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    At least a quarter of Geelong’s lineup that took to Optus Stadium on Friday night were battling symptoms from a virus that swept through the club, according to Fox Footy’s Tom Morris.

The report states that up to six players - including Cam Guthrie, Tom Hawkins, Jeremy Cameron, Brad Close, and Lachie Henderson- were unwell in the lead-up to their preliminary final.

Geelong doctors were reportedly so concerned about the health of some players they felt compelled to inform the AFL in preparation for the possibility of several late changes.
    Is Gout transmissible?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Man that’s horrible. Would explain them looking flat as a pancake. Presumably Demon players could catch it? I hope not. Would not want to us or Port to win a GF that way. Unlikely but if they do catch it hopefully in 14 days they’ll be ok.
    I was actually thinking about this today. The week-bye before the GF might save them even if a few players did get sick.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Scott has been given a further two years
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Scott has been given a further two years
    Playing or coaching?
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

8. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Playing or coaching?
    Haha , Chris Scott the coach
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Haha , Chris Scott the coach
    Thought he might fit the age profile to play …
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

11. Likes jeemak, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Thought he might fit the age profile to play …
    Nah, too young.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Just listening to Trade radio and I didn't realise that Geelong only had 2 first rounders drafted by Geelong in their premiership team in De Koning and Selwood.

Obviously Dangerfield was a first rounder by Adelaide and Cameron was an underage priority selection but there must be a bit clubs can learn from Geelong.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Just listening to Trade radio and I didn't realise that Geelong only had 2 first rounders drafted by Geelong in their premiership team in De Koning and Selwood.

Obviously Dangerfield was a first rounder by Adelaide and Cameron was an underage priority selection but there must be a bit clubs can learn from Geelong.
    Their ability to identify talent is second to none.

Also shows the importance of continually knocking on the door.

2016 Prelim
    2017 Prelim
    2018 Elimination
    2019 Prelim
    2020 GF
    2021 Prelim
    2022 Flag

I do believe their home ground advantage is the biggest in the league considering they don’t have to travel like the non Victorian sides and it’s not shared with anyone, they train there, opposition can’t get in, unique shape etc etc .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Their ability to identify talent is second to none.

Also shows the importance of continually knocking on the door.

2016 Prelim
    2017 Prelim
    2018 Elimination
    2019 Prelim
    2020 GF
    2021 Prelim
    2022 Flag

I do believe their home ground advantage is the biggest in the league considering they don’t have to travel like the non Victorian sides and it’s not shared with anyone, they train there, opposition can’t get in, unique shape etc etc .
    They have some significant unfair advantages but they absolutely milk them to their maximum.

The home ground is obviously the huge one, basically 8 wins guaranteed a year means finishing top 8 is pretty straight forward each year. But the introduction of free agency will continue to make them uber competitive, with the coastal living element very appealing for players of a certain age. On top of that, having lived in Geelong in the mid 00s, the players are treated like rock stars wherever they go and the red carpet is laid out. Free meals, free rounds of golf, free everything. It’d be naive to think there aren’t plenty of under the table deals going on from well off supporters that makes the whole package pretty appealing.

It then becomes a fly wheel that spins faster and faster. More success, more free agents coming on board, more money to spend on coaches, more money on strength and conditioning, more on talent ID. Now the GFL is a semi professional league, funnelling more talent into their VFL program, leading to some incredibly cheap pick ups that have made big differences (Stewart, Atkins).

I’m still dirty on them getting Stengle. Blind Freddy could see he was going to be a great pick up if supported correctly and they used those above advantages to bring in Betts to provide that support and it paid huge dividends. Did we have a crack? Did we even consider it? If not, why?

We don’t have those built in advantages so no point wringing our hands about it. We have to unearth and utilise our own advantages, even if they aren’t as potent or obvious as Geelong’s. But we would be well served looking at how they are structured on and off the field and taking some cues, particularly how they bounced back from a humiliating finals loss last year and got better. We experienced a similar loss yet it felt like we learned nothing from it.

Chris Scott infuriates me but it’s probably due to envy than anything. His win:loss record is incredible and Bevo’s record against him is laughable. What is he doing as a leader of that club to help make that fly wheel spin? What can we learn? Is it more support around him? Does he delegate more? Are his on field leaders stronger than ours (I would say this is a definite yes).

Now, I know we’ve all been saying it for years but I do believe the flip side is they will take a step back slightly when Hawkins, Selwood, Smith, Danger all finish up over the next few years. They won’t plummet, it’ll be more like they become a 5-8 side while they replenish their top end talent (which they will!). We need to be ready to fill the void when it happens.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

16. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    They have some significant unfair advantages but they absolutely milk them to their maximum.

The home ground is obviously the huge one, basically 8 wins guaranteed a year means finishing top 8 is pretty straight forward each year. But the introduction of free agency will continue to make them uber competitive, with the coastal living element very appealing for players of a certain age. On top of that, having lived in Geelong in the mid 00s, the players are treated like rock stars wherever they go and the red carpet is laid out. Free meals, free rounds of golf, free everything. It’d be naive to think there aren’t plenty of under the table deals going on from well off supporters that makes the whole package pretty appealing.

It then becomes a fly wheel that spins faster and faster. More success, more free agents coming on board, more money to spend on coaches, more money on strength and conditioning, more on talent ID. Now the GFL is a semi professional league, funnelling more talent into their VFL program, leading to some incredibly cheap pick ups that have made big differences (Stewart, Atkins).

I’m still dirty on them getting Stengle. Blind Freddy could see he was going to be a great pick up if supported correctly and they used those above advantages to bring in Betts to provide that support and it paid huge dividends. Did we have a crack? Did we even consider it? If not, why?

We don’t have those built in advantages so no point wringing our hands about it. We have to unearth and utilise our own advantages, even if they aren’t as potent or obvious as Geelong’s. But we would be well served looking at how they are structured on and off the field and taking some cues, particularly how they bounced back from a humiliating finals loss last year and got better. We experienced a similar loss yet it felt like we learned nothing from it.

Chris Scott infuriates me but it’s probably due to envy than anything. His win:loss record is incredible and Bevo’s record against him is laughable. What is he doing as a leader of that club to help make that fly wheel spin? What can we learn? Is it more support around him? Does he delegate more? Are his on field leaders stronger than ours (I would say this is a definite yes).

Now, I know we’ve all been saying it for years but I do believe the flip side is they will take a step back slightly when Hawkins, Selwood, Smith, Danger all finish up over the next few years. They won’t plummet, it’ll be more like they become a 5-8 side while they replenish their top end talent (which they will!). We need to be ready to fill the void when it happens.
    Well said comrade. Except the hand wringing. I'm doing it!

They had a ridiculously easy draw this season too for a top 4 side not sure how that works.
    Kardinia also let's them manage players without too much worry of a loss.

Post Thanks / Like

Their resilience is under appreciated. Five prelims without a flag but they continued to stay their course, including after last years humiliation which could have broken their spirit as I think it did break ours. It’s funny how we think finals failures are uniquely Bulldogs - that record and the manner of some of those losses where it did seem their top 4 positions were overly flattering could have killed their self belief. I don’t like them but their leaders have great competitive spirit and drive and Scott also shows an ability to adapt. His comments post GF were interesting - they absolutely did doubt and question their strategies at times which is a healthy thing to do.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

19. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Their resilience is under appreciated. Five prelims without a flag but they continued to stay their course, including after last years humiliation which could have broken their spirit as I think it did break ours. It’s funny how we think finals failures are uniquely Bulldogs - that record and the manner of some of those losses where it did seem their top 4 positions were overly flattering could have killed their self belief. I don’t like them but their leaders have great competitive spirit and drive and Scott also shows an ability to adapt. His comments post GF were interesting - they absolutely did doubt and question their strategies at times which is a healthy thing to do.
    My respect levels for everyone at Geelong have increased quite a bit after this win. I know they have inherent advantages as a club that others don’t, but they also don’t just give out flags and we all know how hard they are to win. As you say, they’ve faced set backs and doubters and stayed the course. I have my fingers crossed we are on a similar path but my head tells me we’re not and it’s time to revamp things completely. We’re nothing like Geelong (on and off the field).

We should be taking cues from that they’ve done the last 10 years and make adjustments based on our own characteristics.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.