Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  137
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Geelong

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Geelong

The impact of Selwood, Hawkins, Duncan, Tuohy, Blicavs for experience and leadership, then adding in Smith and Dangerfield, can't be understated. A young guy coming in, with them as their on field leaders, is set up for success.

I might be undersellig Brad Close, but I see him and Laith as similar players - but Close is set up to succeed with a clear role, and the guys around him playing their role clearly as well.

Also re: recruiting there is no way that we can match that. Their two biggest recruits in Danger and Jezza made choices entirely on geography. They have had another two first round draft picks nominate them this year, in Bruhn and Ollie Henry.

Hopefully the loss of their on-field leaders impacts them more than the loss of talent, when those old guys retire.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    The impact of Selwood, Hawkins, Duncan, Tuohy, Blicavs for experience and leadership, then adding in Smith and Dangerfield, can't be understated. A young guy coming in, with them as their on field leaders, is set up for success.

I might be undersellig Brad Close, but I see him and Laith as similar players - but Close is set up to succeed with a clear role, and the guys around him playing their role clearly as well.

Also re: recruiting there is no way that we can match that. Their two biggest recruits in Danger and Jezza made choices entirely on geography. They have had another two first round draft picks nominate them this year, in Bruhn and Ollie Henry.

Hopefully the loss of their on-field leaders impacts them more than the loss of talent, when those old guys retire.
    You're definitely underselling Close.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    You're definitely underselling Close.
    Or overselling Laith...

Post Thanks / Like

Or overselling Laith...
    Why not both?

Post Thanks / Like

1pm press conference expecting Selwood to announce his retirement.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a player I ever liked but what a warrior Selwood was. Second to none in terms of leadership.
    The curse is dead.

7. Likes Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Never liked him one bit.

This summed him up for me - dirty snipper:

Joel Selwood avoids suspension for pair of ugly incidents in Geelong's win over Western Bulldogs

Geelong captain Joel Selwood has avoided a suspension for a pair of controversial incidents in the Cats' win over the Bulldogs, instead fined by the AFL.

After playing a heroic role in the final foray forward before Gary Rohan's game-winning goal, footage emerged of Selwood's involvement in two ugly acts during the contest.

The first occurred in the opening quarter when he could be seen punching Dogs defender Bailey Dale in the head while Dale was on the ground in a congested situation, before seemingly also eye-gouging.

However, he was cleared by the AFL, with the incident assessed as "misconduct" from Match Review Officer, Michael Christian, with Selwood given a $1000 fine with an early plea.

Joel Selwood's hand seen going at Bailey Dale's head while the Bulldogs defender was on the ground (Nine)
    Footage of another questionable act from Selwood in the fourth quarter also emerged, where he could be seen stepping on Bulldogs defender Taylor Duryea's leg, leaving blood streaming down Duryea's leg.

The incident was assessed as "careless conduct, low impact (and) body contact" and Selwood was given a $2000 fine with an early plea.

Fans were left unimpressed with the MRO's decision to let Selwood escape without a ban, especially after the controversy surrounding Crows defender David McKay's tribunal case during the week.

Also his constant whinging to the umpires for frees. Really spoilt his career as he is a good player.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the great mongrels.

Good riddance.

Average player too.

10. Likes bornadog, EasternWest, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    One of the great mongrels.

Good riddance.

Average player too.
    lol.

12. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Not a player I ever liked but what a warrior Selwood was. Second to none in terms of leadership.
    Yeh this pretty much summed up my feelings. There were things I didn't like about him on field, but I have a hell of a lot of respect for his leadership and off field work - Geelong FC is a much better club for having him involved for the last 15 years. You would love to play alongside him.

His first quarter in the grand final was exceptional.

14. Likes chef, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeh this pretty much summed up my feelings. There were things I didn't like about him on field, but I have a hell of a lot of respect for his leadership and off field work - Geelong FC is a much better club for having him involved for the last 15 years. You would love to play alongside him.

His first quarter in the grand final was exceptional.
    Agree. Don’t like him one bit but gee would love someone like him in our team. Leads from the front.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    lol.

He he.

His last act of mongrel ism was to kick off Clayton Oliver's hand and break it.

I'm ok with that one

If I'm being serious of course I'd love him at the Dogs. Still a mongrel!

Post Thanks / Like

Covered himself in glory in his final game, credit to him.

Also was a POS that ruined the game by making it impossible to fairly adjudicate.

18. Likes Sedat, The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Depressing Selwood fact:

Joel Selwood finals wins = 22

Footscray/Western Bulldogs finals wins = 21

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Depressing Selwood fact:

Joel Selwood finals wins = 22

Footscray/Western Bulldogs finals wins = 21