Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Geelong

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Depressing Selwood fact:

Joel Selwood finals wins = 22

Footscray/Western Bulldogs finals wins = 21
    He's had a blessed run and I kept hearing over his journey how much he did for the culture at the club.
    I get why some people won't like him or rate him but it's been a hell of a career and he should be proud of it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes Max469, whythelongface liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He's had a blessed run and I kept hearing over his journey how much he did for the culture at the club.
    I get why some people won't like him or rate him but it's been a hell of a career and he should be proud of it.
    He has been unbelievable. But he didn't create the successful culture at the club. They literally won the GF by 119 points in his FIRST YEAR in one of the best teams that I have ever seen.

We often confuse skill and luck. Taleb wrote an excellent book about it Fooled By Randomness https://www.booktopia.com.au/fooled-...RoCBKMQAvD_BwE
    Last edited by angelopetraglia; 29-09-2022 at 01:23 PM.

4. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    He has been unbelievable. But he didn't create the successful culture at the club. They literally won the GF by 119 points in his FIRST YEAR in one of the best teams that I have ever seen.

We often confuse skill and luck. Taleb wrote an excellent book about it Fooled By Randomness https://www.booktopia.com.au/fooled-...RoCBKMQAvD_BwE
    But he absolutely was instrumental in keeping it going.

We lost a few leaders since 2016 and it really does show.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if it's an empty platitudes thing, though it's often said he immediately helped change the culture the day he arrived at the club, expecting the highest standards of everyone.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'm not sure if it's an empty platitudes thing, though it's often said he immediately helped change the culture the day he arrived at the club, expecting the highest standards of everyone.
    They've been beating that drum for many years. A mate who supports Geelong mentioned years back what happened with Stringer, Dahlhaus and co with us in 2017 wouldn't have happened with Selwood in charge. Thought he was he just overstating how strong their leadership group was at the time.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Look, inflation, interest rates and unemployment are going up. Regional projects got gutted too. There’s hard times ahead and will all have to accept some pain ahead. But on the other hand the Kardina Park redevelop is full steam ahead and the Geelong Football/Netball League is getting a huge new government cash handout. Plus:

Federal budget - what's in it for Geelong

$3.25 million to upgrade the Leopold Sports Precinct
    $750,000 for improved lighting and female change rooms for the Ocean Grove Football Club
    $600,000 for Stage 1 of the Portarlington Reserve Masterplan
    $600,000 to upgrade the Grinter Reserve netball courts
    $350,000 to upgrade the Bannockburn Football Netball Club
    $340,000 to upgrade the Bannockburn Female Friendly Netball Pavilion
    $160,000 to upgrade the Queenscliff Recreation Reserve
    $700,000 to help fund the Inverleigh Active Youth Space
    $700,000 to upgrade the Torquay Tigers Football and Cricket Club Spring Creek pavilion
    $1.2 million to upgrade facilities at Barwon Heads Football Netball Club
    $1.6 million for women’s change rooms and a new pavilion at South Barwon Reserve
    * Might be more, these are just the notable Geelong footy/netball projects being funded as psds of $180M being splashed there

All sides of politics do it, this absolutely isn’t a partisan observation. But government spending in the Geelong region football never seems to go backwards irrespective of the party in power, or the economic conditions of the day. Must be great to be involved with footy if you live in Geelong. You can always bank on the rivers of cash flowing no matter the circumstances.

Any insight Sedat?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Look, inflation, interest rates and unemployment are going up. Regional projects got gutted too. There’s hard times ahead and will all have to accept some pain ahead. But on the other hand the Kardina Park redevelop is full steam ahead and the Geelong Football/Netball League is getting a huge new government cash handout. Plus:

Federal budget - what's in it for Geelong

$3.25 million to upgrade the Leopold Sports Precinct
    $750,000 for improved lighting and female change rooms for the Ocean Grove Football Club
    $600,000 for Stage 1 of the Portarlington Reserve Masterplan
    $600,000 to upgrade the Grinter Reserve netball courts
    $350,000 to upgrade the Bannockburn Football Netball Club
    $340,000 to upgrade the Bannockburn Female Friendly Netball Pavilion
    $160,000 to upgrade the Queenscliff Recreation Reserve
    $700,000 to help fund the Inverleigh Active Youth Space
    $700,000 to upgrade the Torquay Tigers Football and Cricket Club Spring Creek pavilion
    $1.2 million to upgrade facilities at Barwon Heads Football Netball Club
    $1.6 million for women’s change rooms and a new pavilion at South Barwon Reserve
    * Might be more, these are just the notable Geelong footy/netball projects being funded as psds of $180M being splashed there

All sides of politics do it, this absolutely isn’t a partisan observation. But government spending in the Geelong region football never seems to go backwards irrespective of the party in power, or the economic conditions of the day. Must be great to be involved with footy if you live in Geelong. You can always bank on the rivers of cash flowing no matter the circumstances.

Any insight Sedat?
    Insert Terry Wallace "I'll spew up" emoticon here.

It is not a surprise. Corangamite is a highly marginal electorate that is almost always in play for both major parties at virtually every federal election. So they will constantly throw themselves at the mercy of the residents of Greater Geelong to buy power. So it was, so it is, and so it will always be.

All politicians of all colours and from all sides are self-serving grubs, it's simply what they are and what they do. There's no point getting angry about it, and especially no point preferencing one party/individual over others in everyday life (by law, we reluctantly "have" to preference them at elections) - they are all fundamentally mediocre, untalented, awful people, and completely disconnected from the vast majority of the people they are supposed to represent and serve. They have absolutely no principles, and think nothing of changing entire long-held values and beliefs in order to cynically to remain in power and feast off the largesse of the taxpayer. Each to their own, but I really don't understand how some people are so passionatly invested in Team X or Team Y or specific individuals in the political class. Not one politician (state, federal, local, major party or minor party affiliated, or "independent") ever suffers personal consequences from the (almost always) ill-informed decisions they make and impose on the people they are supposed to serve - you only need to look at the last 2.5 years to see the destruction they have caused to millions of people while they continue to shamelessly reward themselves (let alone stop and pause to reflect that maybe they could have shared in some of the pain they inflicted).

Anyway, I heard an unfounded rumour that Geelong actually won the premiership this year? I didn't see anything on the Greek islands about this and by the time I got back to Australia it was Brand Dunks and his fajita recipes hogging the limelight.
    Last edited by Sedat; 26-10-2022 at 11:10 AM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Insert Terry Wallace "I'll spew up" emoticon here.

It is not a surprise. Corangamite is a highly marginal electorate that is almost always in play for both major parties at virtually every federal election. So they will constantly throw themselves at the mercy of the residents of Greater Geelong to buy power. So it was, so it is, and so it will always be.

All politicians of all colours and from all sides are self-serving grubs, it's simply what they are and what they do. There's no point getting angry about it, and especially no point preferencing one party/individual over others in everyday life (by law, we reluctantly "have" to preference them at elections) - they are all fundamentally mediocre, untalented, awful people, and completely disconnected from the vast majority of the people they are supposed to represent and serve. They have absolutely no principles, and think nothing of changing entire long-held values and beliefs in order to cynically to remain in power and feast off the largesse of the taxpayer. Each to their own, but I really don't understand how some people are so passionatly invested in Team X or Team Y or specific individuals in the political class. Not one politician (state, federal, local, major party or minor party affiliated, or "independent") ever suffers personal consequences from the (almost always) ill-informed decisions they make and impose on the people they are supposed to serve - you only need to look at the last 2.5 years to see the destruction they have caused to millions of people while they continue to shamelessly reward themselves (let alone stop and pause to reflect that maybe they could have shared in some of the pain they inflicted).

Anyway, I heard an unfounded rumour that Geelong actually won the premiership this year? I didn't see anything on the Greek islands about this and by the time I got back to Australia it was Brand Dunks and his fajita recipes hogging the limelight.
    Jesus, that's some bleak shit right there...I'm going to adhere to the board's general don't get political stance, but if you want to form an anarchist collective, DM me boo.

13. Likes Sedat, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Jesus, that's some bleak shit right there...I'm going to adhere to the board's general don't get political stance, but if you want to form an anarchist collective, DM me boo.
    The Geelong premiership bit was the bleakest part, closely followed by Dunkley's rubbish fajita recipe
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

15. Likes The Underdog, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    The Geelong premiership bit was the bleakest part, closely followed by Dunkley's rubbish fajita recipe
    You know Dunkley's fajitas are bland with some weak sauce

17. Likes Sedat, soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes Sedat. Yes. Give it to me.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Yes Sedat. Yes. Give it to me.
    The force is strong with this one.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The force is strong with this one.
    Give in to the dark side….

21. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Give in to the dark side….