Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

If you need MORE than one excuse, well, you have NO EXCUSE!

The more I read about the Dunkley "stuff" the more this 'life lesson' one of my old bosses used to harp on keeps entering my brain.

He used to say that anytime you had to come up with more than ONE reason for doing something (or, more likely in our old job NOT doing something), well, that meant you really didn't have a reason at all. For example, you couldn't come in to support the change window on a Saturday because it was your kid's birthday is a good reason...but if you added to that something about what was happening Sunday morning then you were a BS artist.

If the story was:

"I'm sick of playing in the ruck" - I would believe it.

If it was:

"I want to play at a club where I am a first choice mid" - I would believe it.

If it was:

"I'm sick of these guys getting on it/being unprofessional" - I would believe it.

If it was:

"I just dont get on with the coach anymore" - I would believe it.

If it was:

"Hell - that's a BIG pay rise...what's a guy to do" - I would believe it.

When Gryphon left it was all about a new start. When Ward left it was all about $. Both players were clear and honest with what they said. We didn't like it but there was no confusion.

I have been thinking all along there is something to the reports about JD...but the addition of the culture elements today is for me the last straw. I'm calling BS. If you need 5 reasons then you don't have ANY reasons. A case is being built as to why he should leave but the foundations are made out of paper mache. It's a nice story...but enough is enough now.

People do thing because 'SOMETHING' is so important to them they NEED to do it. 5x half reasons don't = 1 good one...they actually equal nothing at all.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: If you need MORE than one excuse, well, you have NO EXCUSE!

Well maybe he is not confident enough to admit it's about money.
    Some people get weird about money. This excuse, that excuse.

You just inspired me MJP. Good insight and life lesson.
    I had a student today who gave me several excuses why his homework was late.
    I messaged him just now.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

3. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We’re still in the IG bio, I’m telling you if I know anything about Dunks then there is nothing to worry about until we aren’t.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

5. Likes Ghost Dog, azabob, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope so, I really like him as a player. He's a ball magnet and love his goal celebrations.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience you typically have one reason and that is the core reason you start looking. Then you may feel a tinge of guilt and you start looking for other reasons to justify your decision to others but more so for yourself.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

But the problem is it’s all media saying it , I would love him to come out and say he loves the club and isn’t going anywhere .
    The other point about players not pulling their weight is a direct go at his best mate Bontempellis leadership and I doubt he would do that to a close mate.
    The article he wrote about Beverage also goes against that rumour.
    Doesn’t make sense.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    But the problem is it’s all media saying it , I would love him to come out and say he loves the club and isn’t going anywhere .
    The other point about players not pulling their weight is a direct go at his best mate Bontempellis leadership and I doubt he would do that to a close mate.
    The article he wrote about Beverage also goes against that rumour.
    Doesn’t make sense.
    The media is saying exactly what MJP is saying, i.e. everything but the absolute truth of it. It's all about the money.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

10. Likes Grantysghost, 1eyedog, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Well maybe he is not confident enough to admit it's about money.
    Some people get weird about money. This excuse, that excuse.

You just inspired me MJP. Good insight and life lesson.
    I had a student today who gave me several excuses why his homework was late.
    I messaged him just now.
    His dog and cat ate his homework?

12. Likes Throughandthrough liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, lots of people reaching for an underlying truth - reason. It’s not there yet.

Who knows if it’s there in reality, all camps are keeping this very close at the moment (well, at least us and Josh) which is as good a sign as any. If there was more truth to it, surely the leaks would be getting louder and more certain.

It’s such a stupid time of year. The players must sit back with big smiles on their faces 90% of what gets talked about.

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t really like Goddard much, but I bought what he said re: the chronology of this story.

I can imagine...

Other club : we really rate you as an inside mid that we have a need for, would you be interested in moving?

Player : well....I’d love to be playing more midfield time where I am, but that’s not enough of a reason to leave.

Other club : well, you’d be our No.1 inside mid, and look at all this money / big crowds etc ...

On motivation - my personal experience is reflected in studies around reasons for leaving jobs - and Jordan Roughead can likely relate. I left the leader. I’ve enjoyed / been good at the mechanics of roles I’ve had, but I’ve always left when I didn’t like my boss. I’m not on my Pat Malone
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Don’t really like Goddard much, but I bought what he said re: the chronology of this story.

I can imagine...

Other club : we really rate you as an inside mid that we have a need for, would you be interested in moving?

Player : well....I’d love to be playing more midfield time where I am, but that’s not enough of a reason to leave.

Other club : well, you’d be our No.1 inside mid, and look at all this money / big crowds etc ...

On motivation - my personal experience is reflected in studies around reasons for leaving jobs - and Jordan Roughead can likely relate. I left the leader. I’ve enjoyed / been good at the mechanics of roles I’ve had, but I’ve always left when I didn’t like my boss. I’m not on my Pat Malone
    Pie Man you left out a step. The first step.

Essendon searching the internet for footy threads and stumbled across Jeemaks - Trade Dunkley thread from back in August.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

16. Likes The Pie Man, jeemak, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    His dog and cat ate his homework?
    One of the best excuses I heard, young bloke I trained at cricket and had finished all his homework.
    Whilst at training his Dad was looking after his baby brother and whilst the bubs was sitting in the highchair with no nappy he exploded from the bottom end.
    The Dad panicked as there was a stinking mess everywhere and reached for the nearest thing he could to clean the mess up, unfortunately it was the poor young blokes homework.
    Poor young bloke copped it for the remainder of the season
    - you would've got shite marks anyway.
    - you stink at maths
    -This from the teacher, "the mess would have been neater than what you normally turn in"
    etc.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

18. Likes Topdog, azabob, bornadog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What's a change window and why does Saturday make a difference?

I agree with what you say. If someone rings in sick and says "I can't come in, i've got a cold" then you believe them. You write it up on the board at the reception desk and get on with the day. If they ring in and say "I can't come in today I've got a cold and the cat died and Nana got engaged again and my car broke down and one of my kids was kidnapped by Mexican bandits" and further overegg the pudding then you start adding quotation marks up on the board and you make damn sure it stays on the board with the skeptical looking quotation marks until they eventually make their way into work again.

It's like taking 3 crap players (Cowton, Moylan and Williams) for one champion player (Dempsey) in a trade. No amount of list cloggers make up for that one really good player.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

My opinion...

I think he wants to go and I think he want to go 100% for the money...at that’s his choice. Others would do it to.

And the reason NO ONE at the club or Dunkley has commented is because I think both player and club believe that a deal will NOT be done. Dunkley won’t publicly announce anything UNTIL that trade is committed 100%.

With all the reasons about why he wants out (what we are hearing), is right up there with why Coll want Treloar gone. EXCUSES. That’s all it is.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

21. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I get all this,
    but if this has been an issue Dunkley has raised before, and as a leader has also tried to address ...and a year after signing a contract extension, finds his side dumped out of the finals, and still has concerns about players not responding.......
    I can see how when Essendon come a courting, and sticks a huge contract under his nose, he goes, yep I'm listening.

Quite frankly if the club doesn't come out and address this rumour very quickly.... then I can see a whole bunch of clubs sharpening their knives in preparation for a similar offer to a disgruntled Bontempelli in a years time.