Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  37
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If you need MORE than one excuse, well, you have NO EXCUSE!

If culture and standards are the issue it's curious you'd seek the embrace of a club that's spent most of its off-season publicly hand-wringing about how shit its culture and standards have been.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

2. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    My opinion...

I think he wants to go and I think he want to go 100% for the money...at that’s his choice. Others would do it to.

And the reason NO ONE at the club or Dunkley has commented is because I think both player and club believe that a deal will NOT be done. Dunkley won’t publicly announce anything UNTIL that trade is committed 100%.

With all the reasons about why he wants out (what we are hearing), is right up there with why Coll want Treloar gone. EXCUSES. That’s all it is.
    I see it the same way as well.

What I would like the club to do is say to Dunkley, you are a wanted player, you have two years left on your contract, end of story.

A want the message to go out to all clubs and all our contracted players. if we don't do this what is stopping another club with salary cap space putting forward a big contract in front of Smith, Naughton, or any young gun.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    If culture and standards are the issue it's curious you'd seek the embrace of a club that's spent most of its off-season publicly hand-wringing about how shit its culture and standards have been.
    But I can also see a sales pitch that says we're cleaning house now. We've reviewed and we know where things are rotten. We've got a core of guys and with you on board we are going to turn this ship around.

I mean we managed to sell our club to Tom Boyd whilst at the same time appearing to all and sundry to be a well lit dumpster fire.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    But I can also see a sales pitch that says we're cleaning house now. We've reviewed and we know where things are rotten. We've got a core of guys and with you on board we are going to turn this ship around.

I mean we managed to sell our club to Tom Boyd whilst at the same time appearing to all and sundry to be a well lit dumpster fire.
    Sure, being enlisted as an agent of change must hold a certain appeal.

Unless you're an Indigenous player being courted by us of course.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I see it the same way as well.

What I would like the club to do is say to Dunkley, you are a wanted player, you have two years left on your contract, end of story.

A want the message to go out to all clubs and all our contracted players. if we don't do this what is stopping another club with salary cap space putting forward a big contract in front of Smith, Naughton, or any young gun.
    Exactly. If we WANT to be a powerhouse club, we have to ACT like a powerhouse club. Standing our ground, staying strong, and showing others we are no pushovers, is something we HAVE to do. It’s a non negotiable as far as I’m concerned. If Naughton can make it as a forward, watch WC and Freo throw $900k at him in a few years.

If Power and the club can’t do this, then I expect us to bend over to dodo in the last hour and give Dunkley to Essendon for pick 7.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Going back to mjp’s original thoughts, what worries me is that all those extra “excuses” aren’t being converted into reasons to stay. If you were offered a heap of money BUT on the other hand could say:

we’ve got a great culture and a bunch of blokes dedicated to success, I don’t want to leave something precious..

I love Bevo and even when he does weird sh*t like play me in the ruck I understand and respect his reasons...

I want to play mid more often and can talk this thru with the coaching staff and feel confident next year will be different..

If instead all of these are not the case and can’t override an outlandish offer, then we have a problem bigger than the “players are greedy, who could resist that kind of money” narrative.

And what worries me more, aren’t there echoes of the Jordan Roughead playbook? Another “great bloke.” Disaffection, disillusionment, frustration with what his role was. Sounds familiar doesn’t it ... but the crap-load of money factor wasn’t even there. Two years from a flag, still capable of good footy, and he said he would have retired if we didn’t let him go.

Historically we were used to players leaving us, for finals, for success, for money, because we were a small fish, didn’t have great facilities, mightn’t survive the next season. I thought our flag transformed all that, yet 4 years on, here we are again.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

10. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes Sedat, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think all reasons being offered are genuine but the catalyst is the vastly bigger money early
    I certainly wouldn't discount the reduction of time in the midfield as a contributing factor though
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Historically we were used to players leaving us, for finals, for success, for money, because we were a small fish, didn’t have great facilities, mightn’t survive the next season. I thought our flag transformed all that, yet 4 years on, here we are again.
    All clubs lose players every year for a variety of reasons. Have a look at the Hawks losing Buddy in the middle of the three peat.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    What's a change window and why does Saturday make a difference?

I agree with what you say. If someone rings in sick and says "I can't come in, i've got a cold" then you believe them. You write it up on the board at the reception desk and get on with the day. If they ring in and say "I can't come in today I've got a cold and the cat died and Nana got engaged again and my car broke down and one of my kids was kidnapped by Mexican bandits" and further overegg the pudding then you start adding quotation marks up on the board and you make damn sure it stays on the board with the skeptical looking quotation marks until they eventually make their way into work again.

It's like taking 3 crap players (Cowton, Moylan and Williams) for one champion player (Dempsey) in a trade. No amount of list cloggers make up for that one really good player.
    Crazy Horse. Used to run around in circles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Crazy Horse. Used to run around in circles.
    Where’s Neil Young?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Hird's father wants a new inquiry into the sad saga. Just goes on forever.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

There's always a tipping point, I don't agree with the one reason logic

You might not go to the footy by yourself, you might not catch up with a mate outside the footy, but you might go to the footy with your mate
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    There's always a tipping point, I don't agree with the one reason logic

You might not go to the footy by yourself, you might not catch up with a mate outside the footy, but you might go to the footy with your mate
    That's a reason to do something as opposed to an excuse to not do something.

19. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    That's a reason to do something as opposed to an excuse to not do something.
    Precisely.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    All clubs lose players every year for a variety of reasons. Have a look at the Hawks losing Buddy in the middle of the three peat.
    Buddy was OOC and a free agent.
    I think players under contract and players out of contract need to be considered separately.

I'm very much in the 'keep Dunkley and avoid Treloar' camp but I would be comfortable if we traded Dunkley for ridiculous overs, if only because I have faith that Rhylee West will develop if given more opportunity. I'd be more comfortable if we had a fit Toby McLean next year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers