Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  33
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can someone (please) explain to me the reason we would trade for Stef Martin (or another ruck only player).

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    In that case, it comes down to a cost vs benefit analysis. Would the cost of that 'chiselling' be worth it?

The other question still stands - who else is there? Jackson is not a mature ruck, ditto Bailey Williams at WCE, and both clubs would fight tooth and nail to keep thim.
    Draper has just signed a long deal at Essendon.

The aforementioned Xerri I like but is the same age as English and Sweet. If Soldo hadn't hurt his knee I would have been all for a real crack at Nank, but it's not to be. Port put up the hand to the Swans' questions about Ladhams.
    Clubs have wised up to the value of the ruck position over the last few seasons and we're playing catch up. We're not going to just be able to whip up interest from a contracted ruck at another club overnight and expect to get a deal done.

Dunkley was months in the making, if we haven't done the required ground work to chisel out a player, there's no chance we'll find one during this trade period.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes Mofra, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can someone (please) explain to me the reason we would trade for Stef Martin (or another ruck only player).

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Clubs have wised up to the value of the ruck position over the last few seasons and we're playing catch up. We're not going to just be able to whip up interest from a contracted ruck at another club overnight and expect to get a deal done.
    Yep. All of the teams that have drastically improved/are good and fun to watch typically have a dual ruck set up (Port, Saints, West Coast, even Richmond for most of the season). This isn't about playing two lumbering guys, and it should see Tim get placed in a position to play completely to his strengths.

FWIW if we get a second ruck in then the only personnel change I'd hope to see is Bruce in the seconds. No need for Naughton to go back.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When with Melbourne Martin spent some time playing back and forward. As an aside he played his first match with Old Haileybury. He was 19 and had never played a football game before.

6. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54, Twodogs, Ghost Dog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just signed up sweet for an extension too

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy with the decisions but it's funny that we didn't play Sweet at all this season, yet we were desperate for ruck support and we've signed him up yet we didn't need Gowers but we played him and have now delisted him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    It's almost like we had a long-term plan for the ruck position which was unexpectedly terminated.

Boyd and English was our long-term ruck tag team, with Sweet rookied, which had the potential to be the envy of the competition. Last year was the first time we could have justifiably brought in a first-rate ruck and offered ruck minutes, but why would you go to a club with one of the most promising ruckmen in the comp?

10. Likes bornadog, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    It's almost like we had a long-term plan for the ruck position which was unexpectedly terminated.

Boyd and English was our long-term ruck tag team, with Sweet rookied, which had the potential to be the envy of the competition. Last year was the first time we could have justifiably brought in a first-rate ruck and offered ruck minutes, but why would you go to a club with one of the most promising ruckmen in the comp?
    Yeah, can’t argue with that. I mentioned elsewhere I recently re-watched highlights of every involvement Boyd had in the 2016 GF and his ruck work was actually very impressive.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

12. Likes jazzadogs, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do they have to play in the same side? It was still worth it to get a backup that means Josh Bruce isn't our #1 ruck if English gets injured
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Why do they have to play in the same side? It was still worth it to get a backup that means Josh Bruce isn't our #1 ruck if English gets injured
    Why not just use JT?

The narrative seems to be that they will play together tho.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Why not just use JT?

The narrative seems to be that they will play together tho.
    We could have and should used that option. Suggest the Bevo Doghouse was in full swing
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We could have and should used that option. Suggest the Bevo Doghouse was in full swing
    Can feel some Bevo Doghouse artwork in the near future
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting Stef said one reason he left Brisbane was next year they are going to only play one ruckman.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Interesting Stef said one reason he left Brisbane was next year they are going to only play one ruckman.
    Big O and Daniher.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    They have 3 giant key forwards no way they could play 2 rucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting reading back on this thread. Was the question asked by the OP answered? Was Martin the right person considering all his injuries ( including historical)?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.