Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  54
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Westernbulldogs Stefan Martin

I am looking forward to seeing what a mature ruckman can bring to the squad, even if it is a cameo across one season. My gut feeling is that we've lacked some presence of this nature since the rule changes and flag.

All the best to Big Dog Stefan Martin, BDSM.

2. Likes Happy Days, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    All the best to Big Dog Stefan Martin, BDSM.
    Christ.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

4. Likes SonofScray, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

New challenge to reinvigorate Martin

New recruit Stefan Martin has a clear picture of what he wants to achieve at the Western Bulldogs.

The soon-to-be 34-year-old joined the Bulldogs in a trade on Tuesday from the Brisbane Lions, with 190 AFL games across 13 seasons at the top level under his belt.

Adding an experienced ruckman in the off-season had been a focus for the club.

And for Martin, that role appears a perfect fit.

“In a way, it’s going to be really reinvigorating to have this new challenge because I’ve got a whole new footy club to try to prove my worth to and repay the investment in,” Martin told SEN 1116 today.

“Coupled with my body coming good it’s just a perfect new start for me.

“I feel really good – I’ve said it all along, but I don’t feel like I’m (almost) 34.”

Martin’s 2020 campaign was interrupted by injury – he played just eight games, however he did feature in their two finals.

But over the five seasons prior to that, he played 108 of a possible 112 games.

“I would fully hope and plan to play 22 games,” Martin said, of his immediate ambitions for 2021

“It’ll be great to have a full pre-season because I didn’t get that last year and I think that will set me up for the resilience you need for 22 games.”

He’s already been exchanging messages with his new teammates, including emerging ruckman Tim English.

Martin is confident he has plenty to add on the field, but can also contribute strongly to the development of English and Jordon Sweet.

“It’s a good dynamic – (the role has) been described as two-pronged, the on-field and the off-field,” he said.

“(Tim’s) the ruck of the future but I also think he’s the ruck of the present and I don’t want to stifle his development at all, I want to do the exact opposite.

“I’m not coming to suppress his development at all, but I do have a lot to offer on-field I think, and that’s equally important to me.

“Over the last 13 years I’ve learned a tonne about what it takes to be a ruckman, the types of training habits you need to have and that sort of thing. I’d love to talk with Tim and Jordon Sweet about that.”

“Both elements are really critical. I don’t just want to come there and be a coach, I’m there to do a job on-field as well. But to have Tim come out a better player would be absolutely core to that goal.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Thanks SquirrelGrip, bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

“Over the last 13 years I’ve learned a tonne about what it takes to be a ruckman, the types of training habits you need to have and that sort of thing. I’d love to talk with Tim and Jordon Sweet about that.”

“Both elements are really critical. I don’t just want to come there and be a coach, I’m there to do a job on-field as well. But to have Tim come out a better player would be absolutely core to that goal.”
    Gotta say, I love reading that.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

8. Likes SquirrelGrip, The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really think Stef could be the making of Jordon Sweet as well.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

10. Likes macca, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Christ.
    I feel like Christ is still The Bont. But we have been screaming for something like BDSM in our lives at the Kennel. Perhaps instead of a player badge he can have spiked dog collars in XXL with his number on them at the Bulldog Shop.

Post Thanks / Like

There has been some comments around how Steven King should be able to mentor Tim English but I think Stef Martin has already shown that he can add something to the club and help English reach his potential
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

13. Likes SonofScray, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Worth remembering while he'll be 34 at season's start Stef logged relatively few miles across the first half of his career which no doubt helps with longevity and his ability to handle a heavy workload. His 2020 ailments weren't soft-tissue either which augurs well.

He's one of the handful of ruckmen who seems to know how to handle Grundy too, which'll be a refreshing change of pace.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

15. Likes Max469, Ghost Dog, Bulldog4life, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If SM can do his bit to help Timmy reach his full potential, and it's clear he knows that's part of the role he's signed up for, that will be massive for our fortunes over the next 5 years.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

17. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stef was just on trade radio. He sounds super excited, and looking forward to the mentoring role. Says he is commited to playing every game. He struggled this year with a knee injury early and didn't get back to his best form.

Have to say I'm quite excited about what he can bring he certainly has a great attitude.

19. Likes SquirrelGrip, westbulldog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Martin, English 'can play in same side' in 2021

New Bulldog Stefan Martin says he learnt in his exit interview with the Lions that the club would be going with a one-ruck structure going forward, prompting his move away from the club.

He told Trade Radio the Lions said his role would be changing, and the rest was history.

He said he didn't think he had played at his best in 2020 but he and young Bulldogs ruckman Tim English had skill sets that meant they could play together in the same side going forward.

"We probably both intend to send some good time on-ball," he said, but wasn't able to say how much time he and English would spend playing forward. He said it was likely that would be worked out on the fly.

He joked the Lions had better not win a premiership without him, now that he'd moved. But he said he was thrilled to move to the Bulldogs.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

21. Thanks Grantysghost, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just listened to Martin on Bulldogs website - very happy with selection - super impressive, not just for Tim but Jordan Sweet as well.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttHPQMiQHzg
    Highlights
    Takes a good grab and more mobile than I thought at first.
    Good kicking action. Turn down the music....weird.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

24. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Stef on SEN - listen here
    I thought he said absolutely everything right, it was exactly what I wanted to hear.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I thought he said absolutely everything right, it was exactly what I wanted to hear.
    Yep. You can tell he’s a good guy that gets things - His Instagram profile pic is of him in the old Fitzroy jumper in a Brisbane away game.

He will fit in well down at the Whitten Oval.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

27. Likes jeemak liked this post