Thanks Thanks:  44
Likes Likes:  310
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Westernbulldogs Adam Treloar

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    At the very least the AFL should stop Collingwood from potentially trading any picks with other clubs until this has been resolved

It's still hard to fathom how a deal can be approved by the two parties are actually a long way off on their understanding on how the deal actually looks
    Yes it’s certainly amateurish to say the least by both the AFL and Collingwood. The pies got themselves into this mess so the audacity to try dictate what they pay when is terrible. Clubs should seriously pay upmost attention when dealing with them and players should be wary.

Although are we sure we’re free from criticism here? Did we nail out the terms before executing the trade? Or did we go in with good faith? Either way the a trade shouldn’t be allowed until it’s absolutely final. The flow on effect of this trade means it’s basically irreversible. What a mess.

Post Thanks / Like

Look I'm sure it will all be fine we'll just need to have our own fire sale when we have to renegotiate Bont, Smith and Naughton's deal.

Is the new methodology load up big in your premiership window, have a 3 year crack it at then offload?

Didn't work for Collingwood but they got damn close.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Big Ed has chimed in:

But speaking on Triple M’s Hot Breakfast, McGuire was confident the dispute "will get sorted out."

The Dogs will remember those who stood by them when they had no friends and voted for them and looked after equalisation and things like that,” McGuire said on Thursday morning.

“This is not unusual … Maybe it is unusual, but I was told it’s not that unusual.

“It’ll get sorted.”
    Getting some Marlon Brando in The Godfather vibes from that quote.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Big Ed has chimed in:

Piss off Ed, what the F.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    It certainly is a strange look for the AFL. Like what’s the purpose of Ken Wood and the trade deadline if key terms such as agreement to the trade’s ‘pricing schedule’ have not been ratified. There’s something just not right with the urgency and need with how Collingwood came to offload Treloar from their books. It smells of the AFL meddling / having a hand in this in the first instance which MAY be how it has ended where it is now.
    I think he has now retired. This trade period was his last one. Way to go out with a bang.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Big Ed has chimed in:

Why am I getting an Eric Cartman 'Respect my Authoritah' vibe from Eddie?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

7. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Who said this:

"This is not unusual … Maybe it is unusual, but I was told it’s not that unusual."

President Trump or President Eddie?

(... It was a usual, some say the perfect trade. Nobodies seen such a usual trade like this, ever in the history of trades I'd say. People said I could not do such a usual trade, buts that's what we did. All because of your favourite President, my huge Br-ain and my deal making skills)
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Who said this:

"This is not unusual … Maybe it is unusual, but I was told it’s not that unusual."

(... It was a usual, some say the perfect trade. Nobodies seen such a usual trade like this, ever in the history of trades I'd say. People said I could not do such a usual trade, buts that's what we did. All because of your favourite President, my huge Br-ain and my deal making skills)
    That was my first thought... that sounded more like something out of the Orange Hate Gibbon's mouth

11. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Who said this:

Haha also some definite Trump-ish vibes.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Who said this:

Yeah that's exactly who I thought of when reading it. Trumpism right there.

Post Thanks / Like

Who said this:

It was probably...the greatest trade in the history of the world. I don't know if it was but I think it probably was. I don't know all the trades in history but I know this trade was better than any of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Eddie swinging his dick around after the complete shit show trade week was for Collingwood is probably indicative of how far that club's gone up its own backside.

Read the room you wanker.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Big Ed has chimed in: Getting some Marlon Brando in The Godfather vibes from that quote.
    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Why am I getting an Eric Cartman 'Respect my Authoritah' vibe from Eddie?
    Because they're all vaguely the same girth?

The turgid prick can't help himself. Like black players in the game, if only we'd just know our place.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Who's signing up for this package?

18. Likes Grantysghost, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood's 'double whammy' risks blowing up Adam Treloar trade play

The Magpies and Bulldogs’ ongoing negotiations over Adam Treloar’s wages are fairly unusual - and a classic case of he said, she said.
    At its core it highlights the need for agreements, particularly when they involve money, to be put in writing.

As part of a trade it’s fairly normal for a club that wants to move a contracted player to pay a portion of his ongoing wage to gain some salary cap relief.

This situation is a bit different, because Collingwood are still paying Treloar up to $1.5 million, or $300,000 a year over the next five years.

The Bulldogs paid Ryan Griffen about $900,000 when he moved to the Giants, but even that runs a distant second. The size of Collingwood’s contribution makes this Treloar deal more curious than others.

In Treloar’s case, using rough figures, he had five years to run on an agreement with Collingwood worth, let’s say, $900,000 a year.
    Collingwood are contractually obliged to pay that money - until Treloar was traded to the Bulldogs, when he enters a new contract for whatever the Dogs agreed to cover. In this case, let’s say it’s $600,000.

That reduces Collingwood’s liability under the terms of their original contract with Treloar to $300,000 a year - $1.5 million over the balance.

Adam Treloar will play for
    At this point Treloar’s manager would protect his client by drafting a revised contract with the Pies, where the club agrees to pay and be liable for that money.

The legal side is now complete, ensuring he gets the agreed money from his original contract with Collingwood.
    On the AFL’s side, the league needed the trade to be lodged before the deadline, which it was.

They also need a new contract - Treloar’s deal with the Bulldogs - to be lodged before a different deadline.
    Clubs will typically submit via letterhead a schedule of the additional money the player’s original club has agreed to pay.
    With the Bulldogs signing Treloar to a five-year deal, that schedule would feature Collingwood’s commitments until 2025.

What’s in dispute in Treloar’s case is just how much Collingwood will pay.

Deadline day

Sources linked to the Bulldogs indicate Collingwood’s contribution was agreed to before the trade was completed.
    The Bulldogs believe the Pies’ contribution wasn’t ambiguous, with one source saying Treloar’s manager Tim Hazell was a witness.

A source familiar with the Dogs’ position indicates that the Pies now - after the fact - claim there was an agreement to review their contribution later.

Collingwood sources have confirmed that’s the club’s view: they believed the contribution would be negotiated later, which is where things were left on the night the trade went through.
    The Pies believe there was an agreement to get the trade through, and talk about the money later.

Why they waited

In deciding to determine Collingwood’s contribution at a later date, the Pies believe there was an agreement or understanding that their portion would depend on the trade itself.

How much money they carried through to 2025 would be settled by what the Bulldogs gave up to secure Treloar.
    On this logic, if Collingwood received two first-round picks they would carry a bit more of the money.
    According to Pies sources, the Dogs had agreed to cover more than originally planned because they ended up with better picks and the better end of the deal.

Collingwood’s position makes sense logically - but not legally.
    An agreement to finalise the money later is fraught with danger.

Collingwood’s ‘double whammy’ risk

If this was a relatively small deal, and the Collingwood contribution involved a modest amount, then it’d be easier to see how this could happen.

But we are talking about a total contribution up to $1.5 million, or $300,000 a season - almost equivalent to the average wage of an AFL player.

Bulldogs list boss Sam Power and chief executive Ameet Bains are both lawyers. On the face of it, it seems improbable they would have completed the trade, without documenting Collingwood’s contribution.

However, it’s too early and unfair to judge the Pies on this. There aren’t enough facts.

Collingwood list boss Ned Guy defended his trades. Credit: GettyBut after a terrible trade period the club’s list manager Ned Guy will be under pressure to neatly wrap up the negotiations.

He may also have to deal with a double whammy: it doesn’t appear Collingwood will get any salary cap relief from the AFL for Dayne Beams’ payout.

If they made a conservative assumption that a small portion of the settlement figure would be excluded - while expecting to pay more of

Treloar’s wages - they may now pay the price for mismanagement.
    Guy might again face the need to shuffle money around to make sure the Pies fall under the $13.1 million cap.

The final word

Perhaps Guy is correct, and Collingwood’s version of the events are true.
    But at the very least, agreeing to settle their contribution after the trade creates the impression of sloppy negotiations.
    And in football, particularly after a trade period where Collingwood struggled to communicate their message, perception is often reality.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Likes Axe Man, jeemak, Happy Days liked this post