Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  86
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating the 2020 Trade Period

Trade period rating: 7/10. Outstanding result for us with Stef Martin and Treloar coming to the dogs and us standing our ground and sending a message to the league and all contracted players. It would be a 10/10 if we got 2 first round (one next year) for Dunks

Sam “king of trade week” Power: 9/10. You really can’t fault this guy, he is composed, intelligent and effective - he has found his footy calling card. Another great trade period for him and I feel he’s taken a big step forward in building a reputation as a hard, fair and consistent negotiator.

Post Thanks / Like

We came into the trade period with one of the most unique positions of all sides. We had immense bargaining power across all negotiations, due to the fact that high picks meant nothing - I think Essendon would have been hoping for a Treloar style trade for Dunkley i.e. give us a some junk 20-30s picks for points, but not have to pay anything that mattered to them. I am grateful for Power not falling into their dirty little trap.

Another sidenote, I think we were absolutely talking to North/others about trading down to pick 2 if the Dunkley deal had gone through. I am confident that is why we held out and would not accept less - because North (or other) said they would only accept 6 and 7 for pick 2.

3. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There have also been suggestions that Essendon should now trade 6 + 7 for 2, so that they can ABSOLUTELY OWN US by bidding on Jamarra. It would really teach us a lesson, as we match with a bunch of picks in the 20s, 30s and beyond.

5. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to give Sammy a 9/10. He was resolute and a no BS negotiator who says what he means. The last 2 drafts has shown us has valuable he has become for our club.

7. Likes GVGjr, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder whether there is another less tangible but equally important benefit to come out of the trade period.

There has been repeated speculation that part of the reason Dunks wanted out was down to his perception that there are elements within the playing group that lack the professional standards required to be a top AFL side.

I don't think that given our performances since the flag, that is an unreasonable likelihood.

With Dunks coming back into the fold now, there is potentially an elephant not just standing in the room, but out front twerking...
    It must surely get addressed.
    Maybe this sparks a very needed conversation amongst the group? Maybe this is the thing that sparks a real introspection and recommitment to the cause?
    It will be instructive perhaps to see whether Dunks is still in the leadership group next year, that's for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    With Dunks coming back into the fold now, there is potentially an elephant not just standing in the room, but out front twerking...
    Stef Martin and Adam Treloar help that for sure - both have reputations for being meticulous in preparation.

I'd admit I hoped we got a little extra coverage in the back half, so it's a big pre-season for Lewie Young and Ryan Gardner to battle it out for one spot. We may just go shorter and use Cordy as a CHB if Wood & Crozier get back to their intercepting best.

The Dunks leadership group thing is an interesting one, agree.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I wonder whether there is another less tangible but equally important benefit to come out of the trade period.

There has been repeated speculation that part of the reason Dunks wanted out was down to his perception that there are elements within the playing group that lack the professional standards required to be a top AFL side.

I don't think that given our performances since the flag, that is an unreasonable likelihood.

It must surely get addressed.
    Maybe this sparks a very needed conversation amongst the group? Maybe this is the thing that sparks a real introspection and recommitment to the cause?
    It will be instructive perhaps to see whether Dunks is still in the leadership group next year, that's for sure.
    Surely with Dunks being in the leadership group he would have already tried this before seeking a trade. If his first option is to bail and run then he shouldn’t be in the leadership group anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    There have also been suggestions that Essendon should now trade 6 + 7 for 2, so that they can ABSOLUTELY OWN US by bidding on Jamarra. It would really teach us a lesson, as we match with a bunch of picks in the 20s, 30s and beyond.
    That thought did occur to me. If my understanding of this draft is correct (that there are 3 guys heaps better than everyone else and we have dibs on one) then it probably would be the right move, but you could bet the house on a bid coming if they do.

However, if North trade out of pick 2 after years of bitching about not being able to land a superstar then they probably should be made to hand the keys back.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

North would be stupid to trade pick 2. It’s going to be interesting to see what Adelaide do at 1. Ignoring JUH here, there are two highly rated forwards, one from WA and another from SA. The one from WA should go no 1. He came 3rd in the WAFL goal kicking as an U18. But do the crows go local? It’ll be interesting but north would want to pounce with the next pick. At picks 6,7,8 or whatever it’s a crap shoot when zero games have been played this year in Victoria.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    If that makes them feel better... Don't tell any Essendon knobs that we have 2,321 points and a bid at Pick 2 is 2,015 points after discount.

Oh no. We only get JUH and have enough points to take MacPherson & Raak if we want them... I feel so owned Essendon. Oh, so you wanted the best KPF in the draft and couldn't get him. Who owns who now, bitch? (Jesse Pinkman voice)
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an assortment of Essington supporter reactions via Bomber Blitz the morning after the trade period.

Enjoy the salty, salty tears *chef's kiss*

How ■■■■■■ off would Dunkley be?

Already was lacking in midfield time as is. Then a deal is agreed to which would see him get to Essendon in main man inside mid role with a huge payrise. Only for Dogs to change their minds on it last day and still go and bring Treloar in decreasing his midfield time more.

If this second trade period window eventuates def a strong chance still. He’d be livid. Clearly Pies are happy to move on their future first so the pick split for 16 & future 1st could make it happen.
    Yep. Dogs just mucking around.

Scored Treloar who didn’t want to leave Collingwood

Kept Dunkley who didn’t want to be there due to lack of midfield time.

Going to be a challenge for them next year.
    Dogs have put themselves in the doghouse for years to come with their backflip on three way deal that was basically agreed on Wednesday night. Goes to prove the old adage that you should never deal with people that you do not trust.
    Still way behind, but is the media narrative that the Bulldogs somehow “win” this period?

They got a cooked 35 yo, a journeyman, and a late 20a mid whose kicking is questionable (although Treloar for free is a good deal).

They managed to disillusion one of their better young players, and missed out on what was an opportunity to get a leg up on next year’s draft. JUH is a draft pick. He looks good, but they already had him.

If Essendon did the same deals it would be:

Why the FK are we getting Martin and Hannan : Sack Power

How did we get to the point where Dunkley wants out, what is going on behind the scenes. Nothing is going to change in the next 12 months and we missed out on getting pick 2 + extras next year. Power should be sacked

JUH looks good, but we’re not getting anyone else in the draft. Putting off the rebuild again. Where are we getting a KPD? And the ruck support for English once Martin breaks down?

This in is fked. Sack Sam Power
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you imagine when we next play Essendon? Cast a thought what our midfield has done to them the last 2 times we played them, remind yourself they've since got weaker whilst we added a top 10 mid.

Should we ask them now what their safe word is?
    W00F!

16. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my. It’s like reading comments from Trump supporters. You really do realise how manipulated by the media they are. They actually believed we backflipped on dealing Dunkley and that we somehow could have gotten pick 2 with pick 8 and a second rounder.

Post Thanks / Like

Scott Tenorman.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

19. Likes GVGjr, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hilarious stuff. What I have read on social media, is they all think Dunks was not worth two first rounders and we were being unreasonable. They forget Dunkley is under contract.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.