Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  86
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating the 2020 Trade Period

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    My initial thoughts mirror many here: it was a super trade period and Sam Power has done an amazing job to bring in who he has, without giving up almost anything, and strengthening (not compromising) our position to get JUH (without having to pay for it well into 2021's picks).

BUT...

...When the dust settles, I think this draft period is going to mean so much more. I think today could become another part of the rich tapestry of line in the sand moments for our club.

We have precariously trapezed the precipice of extinction. We have fought through crippling debt and a 'Grapes of Wrath' competition skewed to position the big clubs; in it's desperate, short-sighted grab for quick cash. We've fought against red tape, inequity, condescension.

We've been here before not so long ago and predictably buckled at the hands of Dodoro. We've had to convince ourselves we've done ok while simultaneously watching him smiling down the barrel of the camera at our expense.

Not today. Today we drew a line in the sand and sounded out a warning that we will not allow anyone to walk into our house, wipe their muddy shoes on the floor, try to take what is ours and somehow expect us to pay for the privilege. I admit I was coming around to the idea of getting a pair of first-rounders to trade up to #2, but at what cost? The entitled vultures would surely continue to circle down in greater numbers, armed with promises of brighter marquee lights and surf coast allotments.

I think keeping Dunkley is going to mean so much more in days to come, but even today I think it added some extra sting to the punch.

Get out of our house.
    We also proved, A grade players don't mind calling home the VU Whitten Oval
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

On another note, listening to both Jaidyn Stephenson and Ned Guy speak - WTF is wrong with Collingwood!?

I get that mistakes were made and they found themselves in a salary cap hole, but JS had to ring Buckley to ask if he was being traded/why and Ned Guy is spinning BS about wanting to get into the draft and improve their list?

I've never seen anything so diabolical. That club is treating their members with contempt.

If I was a Pies fan, I'd want the truth. Mistakes were made, we needed to clear space so that we can refresh the list and go again.

It's astounding how bad they've handled this.
    W00F!

3. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Maybe, in truth, I'm not sure English's hands above his head are good enough to play key forward but Naughton down back is certainly an option. Who knows what the club has in mind.
    To me Tim is a good overhead mark.

5. Likes Dancin' Douggy, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wasn’t easy to listen to. JS sounds like any 22yo bloke and his head was spinning. He sounded sincere, so if true, that’s putrid from Collingwood. Sounds like Treloar got similar treatment. Luckily for us it’s fired him up and has Bevo to focus him and support him. Something he hasn’t had for a while.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Pies fans are upset and angry over what went down today and so they should be. They needed to get their cap in order, fine. But the way they've trashed their players on the way out and then tried to spin it by saying they want to go to the draft just seems so disingenuous.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was something very, very bad going on with their salary cap and today was an attempt to try and escape the wrath of the AFL.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Pies fans are upset and angry over what went down today and so they should be. They needed to get their cap in order, fine. But the way they've trashed their players on the way out and then tried to spin it by saying they want to go to the draft just seems so disingenuous.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was something very, very bad going on with their salary cap and today was an attempt to try and escape the wrath of the AFL.
    It’s ok. They’ve still got Cox on $5,000,000 a season.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    My initial thoughts mirror many here: it was a super trade period and Sam Power has done an amazing job to bring in who he has, without giving up almost anything, and strengthening (not compromising) our position to get JUH (without having to pay for it well into 2021's picks).

BUT...

...When the dust settles, I think this draft period is going to mean so much more. I think today could become another part of the rich tapestry of line in the sand moments for our club.

We have precariously trapezed the precipice of extinction. We have fought through crippling debt and a 'Grapes of Wrath' competition skewed to position the big clubs; in it's desperate, short-sighted grab for quick cash. We've fought against red tape, inequity, condescension.

We've been here before not so long ago and predictably buckled at the hands of Dodoro. We've had to convince ourselves we've done ok while simultaneously watching him smiling down the barrel of the camera at our expense.

Not today. Today we drew a line in the sand and sounded out a warning that we will not allow anyone to walk into our house, wipe their muddy shoes on the floor, try to take what is ours and somehow expect us to pay for the privilege. I admit I was coming around to the idea of getting a pair of first-rounders to trade up to #2, but at what cost? The entitled vultures would surely continue to circle down in greater numbers, armed with promises of brighter marquee lights and surf coast allotments.

I think keeping Dunkley is going to mean so much more in days to come, but even today I think it added some extra sting to the punch.

Get out of our house.
    Hellijuia brother, sing it.

If we bring the heat on field next year we are really in a chance to grow the club, now we're attracting A+ Talent, number 1 draft pick, club needs to get aggressive with pushing memberships, I want to see us break 50k and start aiming at 60k in the next 2-3 years, and another flag would help that.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

10. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Might be onto something.

It's just so bizarre how they've treated their players and tried to cover it up.

Will be interesting to hear Treloar speak, he's usually very honest and a 'heart on the sleeve' type of guy.

I don't mind Collingwood. They are a big club, but I don't find them nonsensical like Essendon/Carlton etc. They'll eventually bounce back but geez, this is a pretty dark day for them.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Listening to Guy was so weird. He was talking up their improved draft hand because of picks like 14 (that they gave up Treloar and a swag of picks to get and isn't a zero chance to get spent on their academy kid) and next year's first that they already had.

They've done unbelievably poorly with their assets here and this will really hurt them for a while.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Listening to Guy was so weird. He was talking up their improved draft hand because of picks like 14 (that they gave up Treloar and a swag of picks to get and isn't a zero chance to get spent on their academy kid) and next year's first that they already had.

They've done unbelievably poorly with their assets here and this will really hurt them for a while.
    It comes across as a cover up for some cooked books, which they obviously can’t admit publicly.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh well, not short of mids are we!
    Well done Dogs. Never wanted to lose Dunks.

Excuse my ignorance, but who is JUH?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post

the next Buddy Franklin if you want to believe the media, superstar draft pick and all ours because his an academy pick.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post

This is a good recent story about him GD.

https://www.standard.net.au/story/69...-is-rated-no1/

17. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It comes across as a cover up for some cooked books, which they obviously can’t admit publicly.
    I wonder if they are clearing space for a big play next year?
    Clubs are usually into guys well in advance; Geelong had been working on Cameron for a couple of years.
    Let's see how Josh Kelly plays this season.

Post Thanks / Like

While I have been so pleased with what we have achieved this trade period here are some reasons why I can't rate it anywhere near perfect

We had a strong midfield, one of the better ones in the competition, and we have further added to that strength. If playing time in the midfield was an issue for Dunkley that hasn't improved for him or any of the other first string midfielders

Until we get an idea on how much Collingwood is contributing to the Treloar deal we might have a problem down the track

We haven't quite addressed our need for a quality key position defender. On pure numbers, Keath, Gardner, Cordy, Young and maybe still Trengove should be sufficient but I think most of us would have appreciated another KPD

I've been a big fan of Stef Martin and the trade makes sense on so many levels by balancing our commitment to English being our number 1 ruckman going forward and providing he and Sweet some much needed support but how confident are we that Bevo will play two first string ruckman?

With the increased midfield depth will opportunities dry up for the likes of Rhylee West?

Great night, a lot of excitement and some perfectly executed deals but we still have some question marks with the list and we will be reliant on natural development of many on the list

Opportunities for the likes of
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

20. Likes soupman liked this post