Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

Some Trade Related Questions

1. Did St Kilda go 'young bull' or our 'old bull'? Crouch is a decent player no doubt, who St Kilda gave 4 Years (trigger on the 5th) on $700,000. That's $100,000 more a year than Treloar? That was one of the first deals, and Treloar was one of the last deals.

2. Last year with Keath & Bruce, we identified we could offer a 5 X $600,000 contract. We tried to use it on Jack Martin, and GCS wanted a first rounder (Cody Weightman). Would we still prefer this option to grab Jack Martin had history not unfolded how it has, and missing any shot at Treloar? After all, they're very different players.

3. Unless a big salary leaves us soon, this deal for Treloar is the last big offer we have at the trade table or free agency market. Should we have waited to look at Free Agents next year? Are we happy, irrespective of Collingwood chipping in $1.5M and only a second rounder, that this was the best use of the 5 X $600,000 contract we had up our sleeve?

Obviously the club hoped Martin would join the club last year. If that happened we would've used our 5 X $600,000 for Martin and losing Cody Weightman (and maybe getting a later pick in some sort of swap). What's happened now (sliding doors) is we've drafted Cody Weightman, used that contract on Treloar (who gets a $1.5M severance not counted in our cap) and given up rights on a 2021 pick probably around the late 30's or early 40's after compo and matched bids are factored in.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some Trade Related Questions

Good questions BT.

Not really sure where it stands as Jack Martin would have brought forward line class, but I do like having what Treloar potentially brings.

Haven't yet seen anything from Weightman that confirms he was a great get and would prefer we had Georgeadis, but hindsight is the easiest time to select.

We now need to make it work (I'm looking at you Bevo), with what we have.

I want flags and I don't need us to reinvent the game unless it keeps giving us flags.

Also I am not greedy. 3 flags in the next 5 years will do....for the immediate future.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

3. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs, 1eyedog, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I can see Dunks leaving in 2 years. He will be looking for a £750k + deal. He has already said this so for mine there is the space we create as I can't see us matching and keeping guys like The Bont/Naugts/Macrae/B Smith/English happy + any other young start that emerges

Post Thanks / Like

Crouch was overs & Treloar the right target
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I think the club has Treloar at about the right price considering his situation out of work and the year he has just had - the overs is probably the contract length but fingers crossed he recaptures 2018/19 form and plays good footy. He is a gun.

As for Martin - no way IMO was he worth near 5 years at 600k. Historic under performer at suns - was ok IMO this year but we dodged a bullet there.

Dunkley I think will leave, it’s like any workplace, once you have one foot out it is near impossible to get both feet back in. 16 other clubs will “enquire” - we need to move him next year and maximise value.

In short-

1. St Kilda are idiots for dumping that cash on crouch - they’ll be kicking themselves on how the Treloar situation turned out

2. I’d prefer Treloar over Martin

3. I think we’ll see players leave over next couple of years if we can’t recapture success. If there are cultural issues at the club we’ll see a fallout - so assuming we’ve done our last big deal for half a decade assumes the list stays the same which I just don’t see happening. Fingers crossed dunkleys request kicks some sense into Bevo around the role he expects of players and we can capture some of that bond and grit from 2015 and 2016 again

7. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    I think the club has Treloar at about the right price considering his situation out of work and the year he has just had - the overs is probably the contract length but fingers crossed he recaptures 2018/19 form and plays good footy. He is a gun.

As for Martin - no way IMO was he worth near 5 years at 600k. Historic under performer at suns - was ok IMO this year but we dodged a bullet there.

Dunkley I think will leave, it’s like any workplace, once you have one foot out it is near impossible to get both feet back in. 16 other clubs will “enquire” - we need to move him next year and maximise value.

In short-

1. St Kilda are idiots for dumping that cash on crouch - they’ll be kicking themselves on how the Treloar situation turned out

2. I’d prefer Treloar over Martin

3. I think we’ll see players leave over next couple of years if we can’t recapture success. If there are cultural issues at the club we’ll see a fallout - so assuming we’ve done our last big deal for half a decade assumes the list stays the same which I just don’t see happening. Fingers crossed dunkleys request kicks some sense into Bevo around the role he expects of players and we can capture some of that bond and grit from 2015 and 2016 again
    Would have thought if the rucking was a problem he would have discussed it with Bevo when it was happening , isn’t Bevo the great people person ?
    Also with Martin coming in it was obviously seen as a problem and it won’t happen again anyway.
    Maybe the Martin get will ease Dunks mind and it was part of the strategy that fitted pleasing him and the bleeding obvious we needed a strong experience ruckman.
    Two birds with one stone!
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

You’re always one injury away, so no issue with our midfield depth and despite it being a bit of coin, the opportunity cost at the heavily discounted price was too good to pass up.

Our list is in good shape - we just need to turn a few more players over and work hard to develop our younger fringe players so they can become regulars and consistent contributors in the side. Some will miss, but hopefully 3 or 4 become players.

Saints and Crouch a weird one. He fits their side though. They’re fast and good in space, another player with some grunt who won’t get bullied really helps them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    1. Did St Kilda go 'young bull' or our 'old bull'? Crouch is a decent player no doubt, who St Kilda gave 4 Years (trigger on the 5th) on $700,000. That's $100,000 more a year than Treloar? That was one of the first deals, and Treloar was one of the last deals.

2. Last year with Keath & Bruce, we identified we could offer a 5 X $600,000 contract. We tried to use it on Jack Martin, and GCS wanted a first rounder (Cody Weightman). Would we still prefer this option to grab Jack Martin had history not unfolded how it has, and missing any shot at Treloar? After all, they're very different players.

3. Unless a big salary leaves us soon, this deal for Treloar is the last big offer we have at the trade table or free agency market. Should we have waited to look at Free Agents next year? Are we happy, irrespective of Collingwood chipping in $1.5M and only a second rounder, that this was the best use of the 5 X $600,000 contract we had up our sleeve?

Obviously the club hoped Martin would join the club last year. If that happened we would've used our 5 X $600,000 for Martin and losing Cody Weightman (and maybe getting a later pick in some sort of swap). What's happened now (sliding doors) is we've drafted Cody Weightman, used that contract on Treloar (who gets a $1.5M severance not counted in our cap) and given up rights on a 2021 pick probably around the late 30's or early 40's after compo and matched bids are factored in.
    I wonder how much different the trade period turned out to how we were expecting? Or if it did turn out how we thought it would?

I'm guessing that we didn't go in thinking that Trealor would suddenly become available. Maybe we went in thinking that if we lost Dunkley that Trealor would be a good replacement so we asked the question and things just rolled on from there. We would have held out for the two picks for Dunks expecting to shift one to Collingwood for Trealor.

To keep Dunks, get Trealor and hold enough points for Marra bids us outstanding stuff but I'm sure that sod's law will mean that we will need all the mids we suddenly have. A few to the forward line, a few injuries and resting a few guys through the season will mean that they will all play plenty of games.

I reckon that Dodoro will regret not trying a bit harder to get the Dunkley trade done.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Personally, I can see Dunks leaving in 2 years. He will be looking for a £750k + deal. He has already said this so for mine there is the space we create as I can't see us matching and keeping guys like The Bont/Naugts/Macrae/B Smith/English happy + any other young start that emerges
    Dunks had one chance (and he knew it) of getting the sort of $ Essendon were offering him.

That chance has gone. He might leave in 2-years but it will be for an 'average' high-level inside mid money, not for 'best inside mid in the game' money. Unless another club targets him and hunts him down...

The Crouch picked early, Treloar available late circumstance will have a few clubs thinking as well...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.