1 4.76%
  • Needs more time

1 4.76%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating our list 2020 Josh Schache 13

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Tbh in 2020 he wasn’t.
    To be fair, he had a good game against North including a couple of goals. Actually a better game than a dozen of Bruce’s.

Benched at half time in the rain with 2 possessions in his next game and never seen again.

Didn’t get much time to show anything.

For comparison: when Bruce got 2 possessions in a whole game he was selected the following week.

2. Likes Sedat, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    To be fair, he had a good game against North including a couple of goals. Actually a better game than a dozen of Bruce’s.

Benched at half time in the rain with 2 possessions in his next game and never seen again.

Didn’t get much time to show anything.

For comparison: when Bruce got 2 possessions in a whole game he was selected the following week.
    Thanks BJ, Schache should never have been selected for that game, as for Bruce it was an awful season from him and it must place some questions if he was just so content in knowing he had a good long term deal and didn't feel motivated to perform

Whatever credits he had in the bank when he arrived at the club have been spent and in fact he owes us a great 2021 season
    If he appears to be half arsed again we need to be prepared to drop him for an extended period
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of people are putting JUH in their round one teams. Assuming that he isn't ready to step straight in to our senior squad, I see Schache as the perfect replacement for him in the short term.

I am a big fan of his work on the lead, marking and kicking (field and goal). He has a lot of AFL quality traits, and showed in 2019 that when he is shown trust and offered continuity he can be an important player. He didn't get that in 2020, through a combination of injury, poor training habits and lack of trust from the coaches.

He's definitely AFL quality, but I'm not sure if he will get a chance to show that with us.

Post Thanks / Like

We still doing this “Schache can’t play in the wet” stuff? His best two games in 2019 were in the wet, one in the middle of a pseudo hurricane. He got benched because he gave up, just like he did against Collingwood.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    We still doing this “Schache can’t play in the wet” stuff? His best two games in 2019 were in the wet, one in the middle of a pseudo hurricane. He got benched because he gave up, just like he did against Collingwood.
    I don’t believe Schache gave up.

I know this will get me excommunicated but

neither Naughton nor Bruce were benched in the final and both were useless well beyond halftime and in almost perfect conditions.

And Naughton ( after 1 possession to 3/4 time ??) went on to have a good last quarter.

personally I don’t care if Schache never plays again. It is not about him. It is the double standard I find distasteful.

8. Likes The Adelaide Connection, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    We went into the game top heavy, Schache was the obvious one that shouldn't have played and that being said he was benched at half time. and never got another chance. If there are question marks on his commitment we should have worked overtime to find him a home during the trade period

I'd hate to give up on a very talented player and it's why I'd like to see him given an extended run to prove himself
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I believe Schache has the ability. He does need to bring intent.

Watching Naughton and he really attacks the ball in the air, while Schache seems unsure if he should even attempt to go at all.

It is time he found some aggression for the contest. Find that and he can be a very good player, otherwise he will soon be just a spectator.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I believe Schache has the ability. He does need to bring intent.

Watching Naughton and he really attacks the ball in the air, while Schache seems unsure if he should even attempt to go at all.

It is time he found some aggression for the contest. Find that and he can be a very good player, otherwise he will soon be just a spectator.
    We can get the Proud Boys to help him with an initiation on aggression

https://www.reddit.com/r/JoeBiden/co..._not_to_laugh/
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If someone was to cut him some slack, they’d say:

- He was drafted at Pick 2
    - He showed some good early signs
    - He developed a psychological condition in Brisbane (home sickness)
    - He quit, emptied his locker and drove back to Victoria
    - Bulldogs traded for him
    - In his first 27 games for us, he kicked 41.19 (inc. a match winning last qtr against Hawthorn last year)
    - Bulldogs re-signed him
    - This year he was forced to live back into QLD away from family which saw his form drop badly at Brisbane
    - His form predictably dropped
    - He was not traded and no credible suggestions he would.
    - He’s back home, around family
    - He will spend summer with Naughton, last years big trade (Bruce) & the exciting new pup in JUH, with healthy competition to get himself selected week to week which is exactly what he wants to happen
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

That's a fair point BT. Forgot about the homesickness aspect which may have impacted his mental condition this year (also pretty taxing times all round in 2020)

15. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    That's a fair point BT. Forgot about the homesickness aspect which may have impacted his mental condition this year (also pretty taxing times all round in 2020)
    I know a thing or two about PTSD and Post Traumatic Stress. If his time in Brisbane was as bad/traumatic for him as I’ve heard it was before joining us, going back up to live in QLD without family, again, living out and exposure to those thoughts, feelings and emotions could give rise to some degree of PTS in addition to home sickness. If even a very, very mild case, that’s enough to impact a professional athlete. I don’t know if it did or didn’t occur, but I myself would want to be 100% certain it didn’t occur before making any conclusions against the kid with regard to his season in the bubble. I think it’s worth considering at a minimum.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 16-11-2020 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Typo
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

17. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

- In his first 27 games for us, he kicked 41.19 (inc. a match winning last qtr against Hawthorn last year)
    - Bulldogs re-signed him
    - This year he was forced to live back into QLD away from family which saw his form drop badly at Brisbane
    - He will spend summer with Naughton, last years big trade (Bruce) & the exciting new pup in JUH, with healthy competition to get himself selected week to week which is exactly what he wants to happen
    The other huge anomaly those out of the AFL team faced was a lack of Footscray footy. Playing 15 a side games (sometimes in makeshift roles in patchwork teams) can't have been ideal. Would key position types find this more difficult than midfielders?

The other side of this is how seriously did the MC take the form of players from these games? Seemed like players were doing all the right things at times and still not getting a look (well, from the little crumbs of information we found out anyways).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

- Bulldogs re-signed him
    Never thought about it like this. Fingers crossed he can smash it next season.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

20. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Schache has always had a tendency to pick and choose when to hit a pack hard in a marking contest. Would be great to pair him up with Steph Martin this preseason. He might be able to teach how to develop a more physical side to his game.

22. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket surgeon View Post
    Schache has always had a tendency to pick and choose when to hit a pack hard in a marking contest. Would be great to pair him up with Steph Martin this preseason. He might be able to teach how to develop a more physical side to his game.
    Good idea. Schache has a weakness synchronising upper body balance and high incoming ball movement. All successful ruckmen have it, and if Martin can help then the Dogs will get a huge boost.