3 14.29%
  • Delist

1 4.76%
  • Needs more time

1 4.76%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating our list 2020 Josh Schache 13

If the MC don’t want to play you for whatever reason, then you simply don’t play. I have grave fear for Josh next year, unfortunately, because he has good skills and is an elite kick.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely have the same narrative running in my head. And, also, wasn't he injured for most of the season after his last game? I I'm sure I saw his name on the injury list most weeks. Something unspectacular but persistent.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If someone was to cut him some slack, they’d say:

- He was drafted at Pick 2
    - He showed some good early signs
    - He developed a psychological condition in Brisbane (home sickness)
    - He quit, emptied his locker and drove back to Victoria
    - Bulldogs traded for him
    - In his first 27 games for us, he kicked 41.19 (inc. a match winning last qtr against Hawthorn last year)
    - Bulldogs re-signed him
    - This year he was forced to live back into QLD away from family which saw his form drop badly at Brisbane
    - His form predictably dropped
    - He was not traded and no credible suggestions he would.
    - He’s back home, around family
    - He will spend summer with Naughton, last years big trade (Bruce) & the exciting new pup in JUH, with healthy competition to get himself selected week to week which is exactly what he wants to happen

Post Thanks / Like

The upside of Josh is high, he could certainly be our version of Hipwood if it comes together. I get the negativity from many but I’m also on the “cut him some slack” team. He may not ever bring the goods, but the dice roll is worth it. Last year was a particularly difficult year off field for Josh.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

4. Likes bornadog, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it time for Josh to train with the defenders and see if he can lift his work rate and intensity?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I absolutely have the same narrative running in my head. And, also, wasn't he injured for most of the season after his last game? I I'm sure I saw his name on the injury list most weeks. Something unspectacular but persistent.
    It seems to be the point that is missed a lot. He was unavailable for selection for about half the season which can’t have helped him.
    He has plenty of talent and an obvious deficiency which I’m not sure he can overcome. I hope he can get a really strongly pre-season in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Is it time for Josh to train with the defenders and see if he can lift his work rate and intensity?
    He once said that he had never played in the backline, so maybe he needs to reinvent himself and give it a go. It would also help his forward craft if it doesn't totally work out.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure his game translates.

Liam Jones always attacked the ball in flight, he just couldn't read it in the air and constantly ran under it. Schache's lack of intensity would likely only be emphasized as a KPD.

I think that's a last ditch effort to save his career and we shouldn't be at that point yet. Hasn't he got 2 years left on a deal? It's something I'd look at in 12 months if he still hasn't progressed.
    W00F!

9. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Liam Jones is quick off the mark and has a huge spring.
    Schache has a huge tank and running workrate, but isn't a contested player.

I see them as completely different types.

Schache can be an AFL quality player, but I just don't think he fits in our system. He plays like Ben Brown lite, and despite kicking more goals than anybody else from 2017-19 he had one genuine suitor who traded him in for a second rounder. That's telling.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I'm not sure his game translates.

Liam Jones always attacked the ball in flight, he just couldn't read it in the air and constantly ran under it. Schache's lack of intensity would likely only be emphasized as a KPD.

I think that's a last ditch effort to save his career and we shouldn't be at that point yet. Hasn't he got 2 years left on a deal? It's something I'd look at in 12 months if he still hasn't progressed.
    Schache as KPD makes perfect sense. If he struggles to naturally attack marking contests put him in players that do. Many a CHF have learnt their craft by going back and being taught by their opponent where and how to lead and how to attack a contest. Anthony Rocca and Sam Reid are a couple that spring to mind.
    Last edited by Bulldog Joe; 24-11-2020 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Fixed Quote

Post Thanks / Like

We got Bruce to fill the role of a strong marking goal kicking forward and gave him 18 games.

Schache got 1 full game - 11 possessions, 3 marks, 2 goals.

Bruce had 13 games with less possessions, 10 games with less marks (and 2 with equal marks), 15 games with less goals.

But Schache had a bad game with only 2 possessions in a half of footy you all shout in unison. Well, Bruce had 2 in a whole game and was first name written in the team sheet the following week.

Personally I have never had a problem with Schache , I think he is a good player and would like to see the club recruit someone who is smart enough to use him properly. The resulting 40 goals in 2021 would generate some excitement.

13. Likes Ghost Dog, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Schache is a far superior player than Bruce.

He was tarred early as soft and no matter what he produces, that mud sticks. Just play to his strengths and the scoreboard ticks over. We saw what actual value the fetish we have for aggression and crashing packs actually has. SFA. It's like "kick it to the top of the square" and playing the percentages, sounds good, but it's not actually a percentage play. Doesn't work but just hangs around as a thing in footy.

More left field take:

A victim of a media cohort who project their own insecurities onto others, celebrate toxic masculinity and a game which heavily polices the maintenance of an ideal masculine identity. See: Charlie Dixon circle jerk. Slight side step, given this next example includes a highly celebrated player, but think Renee Kink/Quentin Lynch and Robbie Flower in a school yard pick.

15. Likes Ghost Dog, Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Just play to his strengths and the scoreboard ticks over.
    This is my take too. He's valuable to us BECAUSE he's not going to get in the way of the high flyers. His work rate is great, he's an excellent kick and in my opinion we simply look better when he's playing.

He'll never have Clay Smith's attitude, but his strengths are an area that we are weak in IMO.

I haven't any confidence that he'll play - I think Beveridge just doesn't like him - but I hope I'm wrong.
    "It's over. It's all over."

17. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Heartening to read some agree with my sentiments. Hope Josh has plenty of opportunities next year to blossom for senior team. Same for Lewis Young.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    This is my take too. He's valuable to us BECAUSE he's not going to get in the way of the high flyers. His work rate is great, he's an excellent kick and in my opinion we simply look better when he's playing.

He'll never have Clay Smith's attitude, but his strengths are an area that we are weak in IMO.

I haven't any confidence that he'll play - I think Beveridge just doesn't like him - but I hope I'm wrong.
    I worry about his absolute competitiveness to want to win every single contest he is involved in, but there's absolutely no doubt he worked much better in sync with Naughts up forward in 2019 than Bruce did in 2020.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Schache is a far superior player than Bruce.

He was tarred early as soft and no matter what he produces, that mud sticks. Just play to his strengths and the scoreboard ticks over. We saw what actual value the fetish we have for aggression and crashing packs actually has. SFA. It's like "kick it to the top of the square" and playing the percentages, sounds good, but it's not actually a percentage play. Doesn't work but just hangs around as a thing in footy.

More left field take:

A victim of a media cohort who project their own insecurities onto others, celebrate toxic masculinity and a game which heavily polices the maintenance of an ideal masculine identity. See: Charlie Dixon circle jerk. Slight side step, given this next example includes a highly celebrated player, but think Renee Kink/Quentin Lynch and Robbie Flower in a school yard pick.
    This is a great post. I've been watching all of the Open Mike series. It's really shocking to remember how violent parts of the game has been for a long time. And pretty much celebrated.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus