Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood 2020 trade period

Still a significant amount of talk and rumour around the Pies and their trade period.

Interesting reading the comments from their List Manager that they’ve been trending downwards in performance and rather than bottoming out they wanted to prioritise getting back into the draft. While that seems a reasonable position, it’s impossible to ignore the quality of player they’ve given up, the prices they’ve released them for, and the financial contribution they’re rumoured to be making in an on-going fashion in most instances.

What do we make of their trade period and how many years will this set them back both list and culture wise?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collingwood 2020 trade period

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post

What do we make of their trade period and how many years will this set them back both list and culture wise?
    If their goal was to wipe 2million off the salary cap and get some more young players into their match-day team, well - it was a great success. The Treloar stuff was messy and the Stephenson thing just bizarre - but that is all from the outside looking in.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    If their goal was to wipe 2million off the salary cap and get some more young players into their match-day team, well - it was a great success. The Treloar stuff was messy and the Stephenson thing just bizarre - but that is all from the outside looking in.
    Keeping older players on also works against the excuse of not wanting to bottom out.
    It’s all about the salary, sadly though the Treloar and Stephenson trades don’t help with other players being confident with the club, this could rip that club apart if they dumped loved and devoted players.
    Bartlett related to getting rid of a serious clubman/player in the 60s at the tigers and the next year the players lost all confidence in the club.
    Sometimes players might not be the best players but are an integral part of club culture . I would use Maxwell as pies captain being an example.
    From what Treloar has said I would be surprised if he wasn’t in that bracket.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

This is their current draft order:

14, 16, 65, 70, 75, 92

They need points for their academy player.

If they say they wanted to get back into the draft well, to me it doesn't look like it with no second or third round draft picks. I am not sure home many points they need to pick up the NGA kid.

It really looks like they were in cap trouble and needed to off load. Recent big dollars paid to Grundy, Moore and De Goey doesn't help.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If they wanted to prioritize getting back into the draft they wouldn't have gifted us those mid range picks for us to match any bid on JUH. As it stands they only have two picks in the top twenty anyway so nothing special about that. Pure salary dump and there is no other way they can try and spin things. Oh and thanks by the way Pies.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like they were trying to uncook the books and managed the communication around it horribly because being honest probably means admitting some huge, rule breaking problems were made in the past.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

From our perspective Collingwood's trade period has been a roaring success.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

8. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Collingwood fan sites is an interesting read, looking at the various reactions to their trade period. The reactions have varied from feral (as one might expect) to meekly accepting the official club line, ie. akin to putting lipstick on a pig.

One suggestion (without any evidence) is that the club may have received a warning, regarding their salary payments, from the AFL. Maybe this is related to the upcoming cuts, or were they exceeding the current limits with their projected back ended contract commitments ? That might be an plausible explanation for the fire sale.

We all remember what happened to the last club (not too far from our trade success story) rumoured to have received a quiet warning from the AFL, admittedly not concerned with salary caps. That rumour was the precursor to that club self destructing.

I guess what I am saying is watch that space, the fall out from "Salarygate" may be just beginning, or not.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly lovely of them to permit, if not promote the narrative they had to flick Treloar because his wife dared to pursue a career opportunity.

Really savoury stuff.

While they're purging they might like to look at their president.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

11. Likes Raw Toast, The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post

While they're purging they might like to look at their president.
    He hasn't escaped their notice, the peasants are revolting and the tumbrils are being prepared.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think the “get back into the draft” sell job.

2 of the players they off loaded were young. Real young. One won the rising star 2 years ago. And in real terms, they didn’t actually even get a first rounder for the players they offloaded. Our 14 was for other picks...

It could only be salary cap pressure. Stephenson they could’ve sold as “culture” given his indiscretions of the past, but not Treloar. And the wife and kid commentary is pure nonsense. You don’t give away talent like that for a reason like that. You support and help the talent you have to deliver for you. Mutually beneficial.

I think they’ve stuffed up here. They may have won a “salary cap” battle but Treloar seems a very well regarded, well spoken, genuine club man. Moving him on could well hurt more than the $ it saved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Keeping older players on also works against the excuse of not wanting to bottom out.
    It’s all about the salary, sadly though the Treloar and Stephenson trades don’t help with other players being confident with the club, this could rip that club apart if they dumped loved and devoted players.
    Bartlett related to getting rid of a serious clubman/player in the 60s at the tigers and the next year the players lost all confidence in the club.
    Sometimes players might not be the best players but are an integral part of club culture . I would use Maxwell as pies captain being an example.
    From what Treloar has said I would be surprised if he wasn’t in that bracket.
    That's Whale Roberts you're talking about? Part of the Teasdale/Roberts/Jackson for John Pitura trade? Possibly one of the only times that the old "we'll give you 3 ordinary players for your superstar" has ever worked. Teasdale wins a Brownlow, Roberts places fifth in the Brownlow the only year he played with South and Francis Jackson plays 100+ games and became one of the prototype rebounding defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    He hasn't escaped their notice, the peasants are revolting and the tumbrils are being prepared.
    He will be hoisted on his own pettard, I love a good mediaeval analogy.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

15. Likes Jeanette54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Honesty, this smacks of the Pies knowing they were about to get done for a breech of the salary cap and desperately trying to clear things before getting caught. In whatever way they try and sell this I suspect someone is about to lose a job
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Honesty, this smacks of the Pies knowing they were about to get done for a breech of the salary cap and desperately trying to clear things before getting caught. In whatever way they try and sell this I suspect someone is about to lose a job
    Agreed on both counts. The story will come out one day and it will probably be that Collingwood's books were audited by the AFL and they were told that they would be over the cap. A bit like Essendon in the very early 2000s when they had to let Blumfield and a couple of others go after the AFL told them they were over the cap (or were about to be over)

And someone's head will roll.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That's Whale Roberts you're talking about? Part of the Teasdale/Roberts/Jackson for John Pitura trade? Possibly one of the only times that the old "we'll give you 3 ordinary players for your superstar" has ever worked. Teasdale wins a Brownlow, Roberts places fifth in the Brownlow the only year he played with South and Francis Jackson plays 100+ games and became one of the prototype rebounding defenders.

He will be hoisted on his own pettard, I love a good mediaeval analogy.
    And one from the bard to boot.