Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  34
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collingwood 2020 trade period

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Front-loaded for one year so no other club could match Carlton in the PSD. Picked a shocker of a year to front load it! Loses at least 30% of that as per the AFLPA deal for 2020.
    Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Wonder if he regrets that now?
    I'm betting that Carlton will find an imaginative way around the problem.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Jermey Cameron also got stooged on a back ended deal in 2020.

Coupled with the Collingwood issue I’d imagine players would be extremely careful in back ending, front loading contracts.

Clubs and the AFL should also be concerned, but I don’t think they care too much.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

3. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Returning to Collingwood's trade week, I think the incandescent rage of many of their barrackers is warranted.

While I know that issues of loyalty are more than double-edged, if the club asks someone to amend their contract numerous times to help the club out, and then chases that player from the club when the big $ finally comes due, it's a horrible look. And to manage it so disingenuously and with such incompetence when Buckley has tried to build his coaching legacy around notions of honesty and integrity, it's a terrible look to treat any player like that (and I know the industry is brutal, but Treloar in particular, was a much loved player as well).

Collingwood were clearly in a dire position, and it seems they felt like the best way of managing it was to try and bluff their way through it. But what a perfect cluster of mis-management.

For me the question is not so much how they got into such a position (as others have noted, you could defend or critique various individual moves, and they did get wonderfully, agonizingly, close to a flag). But they've provided a classic illustration of how not to manage a salary-cap crisis.

Obviously there are lots of people to apportion responsibility to. But for me Buckley is the largest and most interesting. He's very highly invested in a vision of himself as someone who behaves ethically, and with integrity. And this year had already shown his inability to take responsibility and own the horrendous treatment of Lumumba - Buckley's reputation and legacy were already taking a hammering, and he's been pretty pre-occupied with that in 2020 from what I've heard.

The treatment of JS and particularly Treloar just adds to Buckley's failure to live up to the image of himself that he sells. At least Clarkson was able to be brutally honest when it came to pushing out Mitchell and Lewis (and Hodge?). I didn't like what Clarkson did (it was too brutal and a betrayal of trust and the sacrifice of those players for mine), but the logic was clear, and Clarkson was courageous enough to own it as his decision.

MJP, I don't think Buckley had to tell Treloar stories about the playing group being uncomfortable, or to raise the incredibly dubious stuff around his partner moving to Qld. As I see it, Buckley just had to tell him that he thought it was best for the Pies if Treloar went to another club. The coach still has that power, I think, to make it clear that he doesn't want the player around anymore.

But I don't think Buckley could bear the thought of being seen as so brutal - as essentially betraying Treloar who helped the club out with his contract numerous times, on the understanding - and trust! - that they would look after him because of that. And so we get the flood of disinformation and bs stories about the various reasons they felt worried that Treloar. (While there might be grains of truth in the disinformation, because there usually is, the barrackers can clearly see it for the bs that it is.)

So the person who desperately wants to be a role-model of a leader, has once again failed a very clear, public test of leadership. And instead still chooses to hide behind notions of misunderstandings and the various innuendos about players that Collingwood have been so adept at spreading about their own players when those players become a problem to the great leaders Buckley (and McGuire).
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

Good post RT.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Utterly unsurprising boof-headed recalcitrance from the bloated, rotting head of the fish. The poor ol' Pies are simply being victimised.

“It’s a ‘big story’ because the other stories have been done to death for 10 days and Collingwood didn’t do a whole lot on trade radio and things like that. The media always like to come after people who aren’t racing to be on those types of things.”

Shocked to be sitting here this is the same club ham-fistedly rebuffing racism allegations.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    Returning to Collingwood's trade week, I think the incandescent rage of many of their barrackers is warranted.

While I know that issues of loyalty are more than double-edged, if the club asks someone to amend their contract numerous times to help the club out, and then chases that player from the club when the big $ finally comes due, it's a horrible look. And to manage it so disingenuously and with such incompetence when Buckley has tried to build his coaching legacy around notions of honesty and integrity, it's a terrible look to treat any player like that (and I know the industry is brutal, but Treloar in particular, was a much loved player as well).

Collingwood were clearly in a dire position, and it seems they felt like the best way of managing it was to try and bluff their way through it. But what a perfect cluster of mis-management.

For me the question is not so much how they got into such a position (as others have noted, you could defend or critique various individual moves, and they did get wonderfully, agonizingly, close to a flag). But they've provided a classic illustration of how not to manage a salary-cap crisis.

Obviously there are lots of people to apportion responsibility to. But for me Buckley is the largest and most interesting. He's very highly invested in a vision of himself as someone who behaves ethically, and with integrity. And this year had already shown his inability to take responsibility and own the horrendous treatment of Lumumba - Buckley's reputation and legacy were already taking a hammering, and he's been pretty pre-occupied with that in 2020 from what I've heard.

The treatment of JS and particularly Treloar just adds to Buckley's failure to live up to the image of himself that he sells. At least Clarkson was able to be brutally honest when it came to pushing out Mitchell and Lewis (and Hodge?). I didn't like what Clarkson did (it was too brutal and a betrayal of trust and the sacrifice of those players for mine), but the logic was clear, and Clarkson was courageous enough to own it as his decision.

MJP, I don't think Buckley had to tell Treloar stories about the playing group being uncomfortable, or to raise the incredibly dubious stuff around his partner moving to Qld. As I see it, Buckley just had to tell him that he thought it was best for the Pies if Treloar went to another club. The coach still has that power, I think, to make it clear that he doesn't want the player around anymore.

But I don't think Buckley could bear the thought of being seen as so brutal - as essentially betraying Treloar who helped the club out with his contract numerous times, on the understanding - and trust! - that they would look after him because of that. And so we get the flood of disinformation and bs stories about the various reasons they felt worried that Treloar. (While there might be grains of truth in the disinformation, because there usually is, the barrackers can clearly see it for the bs that it is.)

So the person who desperately wants to be a role-model of a leader, has once again failed a very clear, public test of leadership. And instead still chooses to hide behind notions of misunderstandings and the various innuendos about players that Collingwood have been so adept at spreading about their own players when those players become a problem to the great leaders Buckley (and McGuire).
    Buckley might be all those things but he isn’t the list manager or the bloke who works the wages and years in a contract.
    To me it’s the boards doing and Buckley has no option but tow the line.
    The club tells him what to tell the media, the problem is the leakage from the leaving players isn’t fitting the clubs story.
    Buckley/club should just have been honest with the players and said we are stuffed with the salary cap we can’t hold on to you.
    Someone will be scape goated but it won’t be Buckley.
    Interesting season for the pies next year ...will see if they come out to play or they rebel.
    That’s when Buckley’s job is on the line.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Buckley might be all those things but he isn’t the list manager or the bloke who works the wages and years in a contract.
    To me it’s the boards doing and Buckley has no option but tow the line.
    The club tells him what to tell the media, the problem is the leakage from the leaving players isn’t fitting the clubs story.
    Buckley/club should just have been honest with the players and said we are stuffed with the salary cap we can’t hold on to you.
    Someone will be scape goated but it won’t be Buckley.
    Interesting season for the pies next year ...will see if they come out to play or they rebel.
    That’s when Buckley’s job is on the line.
    Where is Eddie's responsibility in all this.

Eddie pushed Malthouse out because North were offering Buckley the coaching job. He set a precedent to get what he wanted and Buckley has now effectively followed that example.

Collingwood are likely damaged goods until both McGuire and Buckley move on.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

10. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Where is Eddie's responsibility in all this.

Eddie pushed Malthouse out because North were offering Buckley the coaching job. He set a precedent to get what he wanted and Buckley has now effectively followed that example.

Collingwood are likely damaged goods until both McGuire and Buckley move on.
    Punchline is McGuire was elected unopposed back in Feb for three years.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Punchline is McGuire was elected unopposed back in Feb for three years.
    Vladimir Putin gets similar support.

Post Thanks / Like

Vladimir Putin gets similar support.
    Vlad will likely be gone before Eddie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Vlad will likely be gone before Eddie.
    True.

Putin is only right until about 2035.

Post Thanks / Like

True.

Putin is only right until about 2035.
    Word is Vlad has Parkinson's disease.