Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  34
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collingwood 2020 trade period

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Why Ned Guy? From what I can see he inherited the mess and was charged to clean it up. His biggest mistake was doing an interview straight after trade period ended.
    Even so, their overall strategy of negging their players all the way out the door and ensuring they got as little as possible in return was staggering. It would be like playing poker with your cards facing outwards.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I won a premiership at Flem/Ken one year and off we went to the cricketers arms . Free beer and Whale serving us, he could put his hand around a jug and you couldn’t see it !
    Yep when I worked in South Melbourne we spent the odd (every) Friday afternoon long lunch down at the Cricket Club.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Had they won that 2018 flag, the ends would have justified the means. Losing by a kick probably incentivised them to top up with Beams as they were legitimately so close to a premiership, and on paper, only needed to add some talent and polish to their midfield.

Contracts are as important, even more so, than trades. The fact that we are paying Treloar 600k a season mitigates that risk significantly for mine (provided his medical stacked up). He is 27yo and will be at the absolute peak of his powers for almost all of his contract. His skill set is unique to our midfield (Bailey Smith is comparable but not there yet) and will only compliment our existing pieces. He has been used in a dual inside/outside capacity at Collingwood, which he won't need to do as much with us, and his electric outside run and carry will be an extremely potent addition to a midfield that has lacked that Danger-esque explosiveness.
    A blue-chip midfielder, with marquee profile, from the biggest sporting club in Australia joins us.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    These are always 'there but for the grace of GOD go I' moments I think...if Collingwood had won the flag in 2018 well this would all be worth it. They - the only team to beat Richmond in a knock-out final in this era - lost by a goal to what could easily be described as a VERY dubious non-free kick followed by a great goal kicked by Sheed (I taught him that btw)...the Tiges must be walking a fine line, the Saints are 100% walking a fine line...
    I’d be surprised if we weren’t pushing at the limits ourselves now, particularly following healthy deals to JJ, Bruce and Treloar, to name just a few. And I would imagine Hunter’s 5 year deal would’ve netted him a good increase.

How we can maintain our position with Bont’s big one looming this year, addressing Dunkley’s want, and then provisioning for Smith, Naughton and English will be quite the list mgmt challenge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    I’d be surprised if we weren’t pushing at the limits ourselves now, particularly following healthy deals to JJ, Bruce and Treloar, to name just a few. And I would imagine Hunter’s 5 year deal would’ve netted him a good increase.

How we can maintain our position with Bont’s big one looming this year, addressing Dunkley’s want, and then provisioning for Smith, Naughton and English will be quite the list mgmt challenge.
    I would say Bont is already close to a million.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I would say Bont is already close to a million.
    Can't remember where I read it but Bont is already one of the top five or so paid players in the game. Doubt we'd have to stump up too much more or that anyone can offer a better package than we can. No reason for concern at the minute.

Edit - here it is; https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/the-1...aled-c-1195442. He's 8th which is pretty not bad.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

7. Thanks bornadog, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Can't remember where I read it but Bont is already one of the top five or so paid players in the game. Doubt we'd have to stump up too much more or that anyone can offer a better package than we can. No reason for concern at the minute.

Edit - here it is; https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/the-1...aled-c-1195442. He's 8th which is pretty not bad.
    Great point. He will get topped up and get as many years as he wants. I also assume he gets a good share of ASA money from the club (outside cap marketing dollars). Hopefully he signs soon and ends the predictable media noise.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

They key for us is to get ourselves top four without further delay and put in a good showing in finals.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

10. Likes The Adelaide Connection, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Why would it get to the point that your cap is so screwed that re-signing key players means you have to sell off contracted stars in the first place? That’s mistake numero uno.

Then to ‘create’ player unrest so they feel so unwelcome that they ‘want’ to leave? That’s just poison for your culture.

If the same thing went down with us and we did to Macrae what Collingwood did to Treloar (the closest comparison I could think of in terms of status and performance), I’d be disgusted.
    What if you projected we could sign Dunks in 2023 at $750k per season. Now that the Dons have come in that projection is out of the water as he will probably on sign now for somewhere north of that and attract interest from rival teams who will watch eagerly the amount of middle time he gets. If the cap doesn't increase and we want to keep Dunks then someone has to go. This is what we face in 2023.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    What if you projected we could sign Dunks in 2023 at $750k per season. Now that the Dons have come in that projection is out of the water as he will probably on sign now for somewhere north of that and attract interest from rival teams who will watch eagerly the amount of middle time he gets. If the cap doesn't increase and we want to keep Dunks then someone has to go. This is what we face in 2023.
    Also, JT, Suckling, Duryea, Martin, Lloyd & Wood are retired. Others coming off long contracts like JJ could be lesser extensions. So that frees up some. So there’s going to be some open up. Plus by 2023 Bruce has done 3 of his 4 years. We can back end a few contracts so in the Dunks scenario you raise we can be very competitive. If we are winning finals, blokes may take a little less also.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I know it went a bit sour at the end of this year, but you have to give credit to GWS for how they have turned their list over for the last 10 or so years.

They were able to keep turning over more senior players who would be commanding bigger money (some legitimate guns) for low picks who would be on base money (and some who were ready to step straight into the senior team). I know their situation was unique given that they were founded on a plethora of first round, high-end talent; but the way they recycled them for picks allowed them to avoid Collingwood's cap bust situation, whilst theoretically keeping their list balanced age-wise to avoid a Hawthorn-like over the hill situation.

A lot can happen in a year, but maybe Essendon come back to the well for a (still contracted) Dunkley next year and this time they do pony up two first-rounders. I say we take it. Instant cap relief, a couple of young guns on no money (maybe even in the Smith mould and ready to go).

14. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jack Martin!
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Given his BMW deal and the promo work he does, a healthy chunk of his payment would come from the club's $500k Marketing allowance which is outside the cap. I'd be very surprised if Bont doesn't get at least 20% of that allowance on his own.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Jack Martin!
    Front-loaded for one year so no other club could match Carlton in the PSD. Picked a shocker of a year to front load it! Loses at least 30% of that as per the AFLPA deal for 2020.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

18. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Front-loaded for one year so no other club could match Carlton in the PSD. Picked a shocker of a year to front load it! Loses at least 30% of that as per the AFLPA deal for 2020.
    Wonder if he regrets that now?