Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  160
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2021 Trade Target/s

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Macca, a weeks a long time in football but with Bruce to miss a lot of football I wonder if we would now run the ruler over Gunston?
    Gunston is about to have surgery on his back. He only played 1 game this year. Huge risk but huge upside. Ben McEvoy is the disgruntled senior player we should target.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Gunston is about to have surgery on his back. He only played 1 game this year. Huge risk but huge upside. Ben McEvoy is the disgruntled senior player we should target.

3. Likes azabob, DOG GOD, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    The retirement village for ex Hawks
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Ben is a huge yes for me. He would make us a power house
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

At the start of a Premiership window is exactly the time we should be loading up on washed up champs with experience and big bodies. It's a match made in heaven.

Gunston would also be insanely good for us for a year or two. McEvoy is a no brainer, not sure he would leave though.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in favour of Gunston and McEvoy. Our first rounder for both?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Macca, a weeks a long time in football but with Bruce to miss a lot of football I wonder if we would now run the ruler over Gunston?
    Yep GV, we should be target the good players with clubs in some sort of turmoil either self inflicted or just stupid politics. Emotions are high there is a push or pull factor towards us.

Lots of good players left essendon result of their not so called drug enhancing program: Ryder, Crameri, Houli, Melksham, Daniher, Carlisle

Collingwood salary Cap: Langdon, Stephenson, Treloar

Adelaide and their infamous camp: Keith, Cameron, Betts

Brisbane and their crap development program: Yeo, Aish,

Now Hawthorn, a few disgruntled senior players loyal to the old coach. We should be getting into McEvoy's and Gunston ear.
    "your never going to see finals again in remainder of your career..."

"You've already got some mates here: Dureya and Bevo..." just pickup the phone and talk ....say magic word Premiership window....

Almost anyone maybe gettable if you they see a premiership window and the doors closing on their career, even Nick Natanui.

Hawks would want some currency for these players whilst they still hold some value.

Gunston would teach our young fwd the craft and he would be like onfield match day coach.

McEvoy solid, strong body to help English in the ruck and also drop into backline to play defense when needed.

Sad thing is we bring in these players, Young would be behind them for a fwd or ruck role.
    Last edited by macca; 11-08-2021 at 07:11 PM.

10. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    A first rounder for 2 players who only have 1-2 players left.. it's a lot to give up.

12. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Always been a fan of Gunston. He’s a TRUE forward and a GREAT kick for goal. Something we need.
    Actually, imagine both he and Breust alongside Naughton, JUH and Weightman.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    A first rounder for 2 players who only have 1-2 players left.. it's a lot to give up.
    There is no way I would pay that I would be looking at shaping some of the numbers we'll get for Lewy Young, Lippa and Mitch Wallis. Now that Bruce is down I reckon we'll now try to retain Lewy but we'll see he may make the decision for us.

I'd be open to moving JJ on as well but it won't happen. While I'd prefer to keep Richards he may be out the door as well so I think we'll have plenty of collateral without burning our first - including enough to look after the Darcy requirement - if those two players would like one more flag prior to retirement.

Our best selection this year 100% needs to go on the best available key defender we can get.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Unless we get a truckload of 2021 draft picks back for points, god no.

Gunston can't get on the paddock and I'd rather look at a longer term option in the ruck.

1. Tom Lynch as a DFA gives us a one-year option to give Marra and extra 12 months & two pre-seasons of development, by rumour we talked to him previously (the Josh Bruce trade year) and we don't have to go through the rigmarole of a trade.

2. Max Lynch from Collingwood. Give us an 8-10 year ruck, super runner so we don't have to rejig our system to fit him in, he's OOC so gettable and why wouldn't we want to deal with Collingwood again?

3. Jarrod Leinert with Port. 195cm defender who can also roll onto medium/smalls (again, fits our system). OOC so again would be relatively cheap and is behind a few players at Port. If we want to play three tall defenders, then two of them have to be quick.

Trading out Young and Lipinski should give us some points towards a Darcy bid, given our 2022 first would be eaten up by a deficit (and arguably a Jordan Croft bid) I'd be comfortable moving out 2021 first back for extra points and trading our 2022 pick for both 2021 points and draft capital to get trades 2 & 3 across the line. Mitch Wallis gets to where he wants to go and a thank you for his service, we might get band 5 compo but I wouldn't bank on it.

We're not ignoring the draft - we still bring in Sam Darcy this year at top tier talent and Jordan Croft next year, potentially Cat B rookie Raak as a tallish/medium defender, Ewan McPherson as a FS who (I hope) can develop into a lockdown small defender, and plug three holes in the one draft period.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Unless we get a truckload of 2021 draft picks back for points, god no.

Gunston can't get on the paddock and I'd rather look at a longer term option in the ruck.

1. Tom Lynch as a DFA gives us a one-year option to give Marra and extra 12 months & two pre-seasons of development, by rumour we talked to him previously (the Josh Bruce trade year) and we don't have to go through the rigmarole of a trade.

2. Max Lynch from Collingwood. Give us an 8-10 year ruck, super runner so we don't have to rejig our system to fit him in, he's OOC so gettable and why wouldn't we want to deal with Collingwood again?

3. Jarrod Leinert with Port. 195cm defender who can also roll onto medium/smalls (again, fits our system). OOC so again would be relatively cheap and is behind a few players at Port. If we want to play three tall defenders, then two of them have to be quick.

Trading out Young and Lipinski should give us some points towards a Darcy bid, given our 2022 first would be eaten up by a deficit (and arguably a Jordan Croft bid) I'd be comfortable moving out 2021 first back for extra points and trading our 2022 pick for both 2021 points and draft capital to get trades 2 & 3 across the line. Mitch Wallis gets to where he wants to go and a thank you for his service, we might get band 5 compo but I wouldn't bank on it.

We're not ignoring the draft - we still bring in Sam Darcy this year at top tier talent and Jordan Croft next year, potentially Cat B rookie Raak as a tallish/medium defender, Ewan McPherson as a FS who (I hope) can develop into a lockdown small defender, and plug three holes in the one draft period.
    I think McEvoy and Gunston are worth considering. They are proven quality and we could likely negotiate a pretty sweet deal for two years without cutting off a finger trade wise. We're looking at opportunities now and there is no question that those two would make us exponentially better next year and the year after.

It's time to load up and win another flag please so I'm all in on the risk that Gunston presents. The players you've highlighted are certainly worthy of a look and would fill our longer term requirements but they're periphery players who are young, with little experience and are untested. Can they make a contribution inside 3 years to give us tilt of a flag? That's highly speculative.

We're ready to go now and have one or two holes that I would like to fill to have a shot next year and the year after. I'm happy to secure a promising young ruckman but realistically it is unlikely they'll be in a position to make a meaningful contribution for 2-3 years.

It doesn't have to be McEvoy and Gunston but I think we need to be thinking this way.

17. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    It's time to load up and win another flag please so I'm all in on the risk that Gunston presents. The players you've highlighted are certainly worthy of a look and would fill our longer term requirements but they're periphery players who are young, with little experience and are untested. Can they make a contribution inside 3 years to give us tilt of a flag? That's highly speculative.
    If those three players were on our list I'd expect all three to be lining up for us this weekend.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Talk on here regarding Darcy Moore has gone pretty quite. Realistically no chance or just no interest ?

Moore and McEvoy would be must haves, with Lynch as a rolling fwd to help relieve the Bruce loss.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Talk on here regarding Darcy Moore has gone pretty quite. Realistically no chance or just no interest ?

Moore and McEvoy would be must haves, with Lynch as a rolling fwd to help relieve the Bruce loss.
    Darcy no chance
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.